So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Post by Diabolical »

DJ: Most Wanted?
Sucker.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I liked The Last Jedi, and even I'd be hard-pressed to defend the character in the film.

Doesn't mean I don't think the idea of an amoral grifter in the SW galaxy doesn't hold potential if done right. (I haven't read it yet, so it could fall just as flat as in the movie.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

All New Wolverine 21-35. Finished the series.

21 was the final issue of a 3 issue arc where an alien girl crash lands on Roosevelt Island and infects everybody with an alien virus. The only cure is Laura’s healing factor. With the help of other “healers”(Daken, Old Man Logan, Deadpool, etc) they cure almost everyone and become media heroes for doing so.
22-24. Laura hitches a ride into space with the Guardians of the Galaxy to find the cause of the virus which turns out to be an isolated science lab on a moonbase surrounded by Brood. Gabby is brood infected but overcomes it.

25-30. Orphans of X. Survivors and relatives of victims of various clawed mutant assassins (Weapon X, X-23, Daken, Lady Deathstrike, etc) devise a plan to recover the Muramasa Blade in order to kill the killers once and for all. Laura finally confronts them and pledges to help them track down the people who hired the assassins to kill their loved ones.

31. Gabby and Deadpool team up to take down the pharma lab where they found Jonathan the Wolverine.

32. Laura and the daughter of one of her first victims team up and track down the man who hired X-23’s handlers to send her on that mission.

33-35. Set in the future “Old Woman Laura” is dying and goes on one last adventure to stop Doctor Doom, the last villain left on Earth.

This was a pretty solid series by Tom Taylor. Gabby “Honey Badger” Kinney might be one of my new favorite characters.

Up next X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold, X-Men Red, Astonishing X-Men, and a few minis and oneshots. That’ll finish off the box, and I can head back to the beginning of the alphabet.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Bit by the bug. I checked the releases for today & saw War of the Realms was ending, so I figured I cheapy short cut that & just read the conclusion. Of course I got mesmerized in the store & walked out caught up on Batman, with most of Aaron's Thor run & whatever else I could find from the War of the Realms main series as well. Fuck sakes. Hopefully it reads ok.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

X-Men Blue, issues 6-36 plus an Annual. The premise of the series was Magneto had recruited the time displaced O5 teen X-Men to be his X-Men so the world wouldn’t be distracted by the fact he was a former super villain who’s supposed to be dead.

6 was the final issue of the first arc where Miss Sinister is using DNA from the stranded “Ultimate” mutants to create a BioWeapon called ‘Mothervine’ that causes secondary mutations. Sinister, Bastion, Emma Frost, and the “inverted” Havok are going to use Mothervine to make mutants the dominant species on Earth. Sinister is using the former Ultimate X-Men as her new “Reavers”. Jimmy Hudson, the son of Ultimate Wolverine, breaks free and ends up joining the Blue X-Men.
7-9 Part of the Secret Empire Event. Mutants have been given their own country(California) if they promise to stay out of HydraCap’s way. The Blue X-Men form a sort of Underground Railroad/resistance against both Hydra and the X-Nation.
10-12. Goblin Queen Madeline Pryor is back to collect from Beast after she gave him magic upgrades. One of her alt-dimension ‘Hex-Men’ is a teenage vampire Storm who picked Dracula’s pocket in Egypt and got bit for her troubles. She switches sides amd joins the team as Bloodstorm and they defeat Pryor.
13-15 was a six part crossover with Gold called Mojo Worldwide. Mojo cuts Manhattan off from the rest of the world and sends the X-Men on various ‘missions’ based on their greatest hits, Mutant Massacre, Asgardian Wars, Xtinction Agenda, etc.
16-20. Cross Time Capers. The X-Men realize they will eventually have to return to their own timeline because ripples are affecting the present and the future. Thru time travel they team up with X-Men2099 and the original GenerationX and fight the evil X-Men from the future led by Xavier’s evil son(they were introduced in that crossover event from 2013 Battle of the Atom) who went back and were posing as them in the past after they left.
21-22, Annual. The Poison-X crossover with Venom(see above) where the team heads into space to rescue Corsair and the Starjammers from evil symbiote-hunting aliens that led into the Venomized Event miniseries.
23-28. The biggest arc of the series, ironically does not feature its main cast since they’re stuck out in space with Venom. Havoc and his team make their move with the Mothervine, and Magneto is forced to quickly recruit a new team to defeat them, Jimmy and Bloodstorm join Polaris, Daken, and Xorn. Emma and Sinister send the Reavers to kill Magneto he is forced to kill a bunch of Mothervine infected mutants he was trying to save. Xorn sacrifices himself to destroy Bastion. Emma switches sides and kills(?) Miss Sinister and Polaris talks Havoc into revering he used to be good and they ‘uninvert’ him. But Magneto is pissed Emma made him kill mutants, so she’s now his number one target.
29-30. Apparently after the Venomized series(I haven’t read the final issue) the only Poison left is the possessed Jimmy Hudson. The team goes to track him down, but Daken shows up to kill him. Jean convinces Jimmy that he can be a hero and they let him go.
31-34. Magneto is looking for Emma Frost and he’s pissed at the O5 for ditching into space exactly when he needed them to stop Mothervine. So he’s reverting back to super-villain mode. The team rescues Emma and Magneto tells them he’s seen a future where they are bad guys and they need to go back to the past to prevent it from happening.
35-36. Wrapped up the series by finishing off most of the dangling subplots and having the teen heroes say goodbye to their present selves. Led into the Exterminated event miniseries which ultimately sent them back to the past. Will read that one after all the ongoing series are finished. I think it’s the very last think in the box.

Next up X-Men Gold.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

X-Men Gold, issue’s 6-36, plus two Annuals and the Wedding Special oneshot. Kitty Pryde is running the School and the main team. Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Rachel Grey(calling herself “Prestige” now. That’s like her fifth or sixth codename) and Old Man Logan are the mainstays, but Iceman, Rogue, and Gambit are also around.

6 was the final issue of the first arc. A new Sentinel AI Nanoswarm is threatening New York. Rachel untaps her TK potential and “destroys” the swarm and saves NYC, but something in her is changed.
7-8. Secret Empire crossover. While trapped under the Dark Dimension dome covering NYC during SE, a new X-Cutioner is running thru the school. He murders a couple students, released an alien the X-Men fought a few issues back and were holding in the basement without due process(which sets up some future story arcs) and sets up a bomb in the Danger Room before the X-Men confront him and stop the bomb. But they never address the dead students ever again. No funerals, no letters to their parents, nothing. Also, when they find the dead kids, they don’t tell the rest of the students because they don’t want to “start a panic” or let the killer know they know he’s in the house or whatthefuck ever stupid reason. But holy shit, these people are horrible teachers. Also, Rachel and Kurt start dating and Kitty and Peter are tap dancing around their complicated relationship again.
9-11. Kitty is called before Congress to testify about a Mutant Deportation Act bill they’re considering. The team heads to Russia because the Hand ninjas got ahold of Omega Red’s body and resurrect him. Eh. It was a forgettable arc.
12. Gives the origin of Kolgoroth, the alien guy that escaped from the basement. He’s a mutant of his species from a planet in the Negative Zone who escaped thru a dimensional rift and got beat up by the X-Men when he got here.
13-15. Mojo Worldwide crossover with the Blue series. See above.
16-20. The Negative Zone War. Kolgoroth escapes back to the Negative Zone in a stolen spaceship, but Kitty and Kurt are stuck onboard, so the rest of the team go to rescue them. They get embroiled in a civil war on Kolgoroth’s home planet when he resurrects an ancient god called Murphy Maguffin(I forgot his name but he shows up in a later arc) that the X-Men have to stop. Then, on the way home, they crash on another planet and have to fix the ship before they all die. Eventually they get back to Earth where Kitty proposes to Piotr.
20-21. Mesmero has recruited a new Brotherhood, including a new Avalanche and a new Pyro(the originals both being dead) and are working for a shitty Congresswoman to do evil mutant shit publicly making mutants out to be a threat. The X-Men confront the Brotherhood, but Mesmero tricks them into thinking they are fighting evil mutants, when they’re actually fighting cops. Once the facade drops, the X-Men are placed under arrest.
22-25. Cruel and Unusual. The main team is incarcerated and awaiting trial. They have to fight Callisto in prison to assert dominance in the prisoner hierarchy. Storm gets thrown in solitary and her claustrophobia kicks in, which causes her Asgardian war hammer to come find her. Rogue and Iceman step up and form a new team with Ink, Armor, Magik, and the new Pyro who realized Mesmero was manipulating him and wants to atone. Then Murphy Maguffin shows up and the incarcerated X-Men tell the warden they’re done being prisoners and just fuck off because they feel like it. Again, there’s no consequences for this later on! They defeat Murphy. The not-as-Dead-as previously thought Sentinel AI Nanoswarm, now calling itself Alpha teams up with the shitty racist Congresswoman to hatch an evil scheme.
26-30. Til Death Do Us Part. Alpha kidnaps Colossus to use the remnants of the Legacy Virus in his blood to create a new virus that will wipe out all mutants on Earth. The team goes up into space to rescue him on an abandoned Roxxon space station and stops Alpha and his evil virus. Then for the big issue 30, it’s the Wedding Issue! Kitty and Peter are finally tying the knot. Except Kitty gets cold feet at the altar and runs away, and Plot Twist Rogue And Remy get married instead! Leads into their own ongoing called Mr &Mrs X.
The Wedding Special. 3 stories. One by Claremont about Kitty’s journey from student to leader of the School and the Team. The other two stories are the bachelor and bachelorette stories.
31-32. The fallout from the non-nuptials. And Mesmero has been messing with Rachel’s mind for the past several dozen issues and it comes to a head when he makes her think she’s still a hound in the future and she’s attacking her teammates, but baby Cyclops and Iceman talk her out of it. She breaks up with Kurt.
33-35. Storm goes back to Kenya when her adoptive mother dies and she gets into a fight with an ancient African God of death the tribe is now worshipping since she fucked off and left them years ago. She ends up sacrificing her Asgardian hammer to defeat him.
36. Final issue, wraps up the series. The team goes to talk down an omega level mutant who’s powers just manifested. After Kitty gets him to power down, a bystander shoots the kid in the head. They rush him to a hospital, but the doctor refuses to operate because he’s worried the kid’s powers might reactivate and blow up the entire hospital. Another doctor intervenes and says she’ll do it because she used to be anti-mutant, but she was inspired by Kitty’s speech way back in the first issue and sees all the good they’ve done and it changed her. So that’s how it ends. As in, it never ends...
Annual 1 was an Excalibur reunion. Brian and Meggan had a baby, so Kitty, Kurt, and Rachel go England for a visit. Cool cover, Alan Davis homages his own Excalibur #1 cover.
Annual 2 was a flashback to when Kitty was at summer camp before she even joined the X-Men and met another mutant there.

Oh man, getting close. Three more short ongoings and a couple minis and then it’s back to the beginning of the Alphabet! Should be all caught up by 2025!!

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The last of the X-box! Sorta.

Astonishing X-Men 1-17, 1 Annual. Charles Soule wrote the first 12 issues, with a different superstar artist doing each issue. Cheung, Deodato, McGuiness, Pacheco, Noto, Garney, Sandoval, etc all do one issue. The final arc was by Rosenberg and Land.
1-6. Someone is attacking psychics around the world. Psylocke gets mind attacked and sets off an incident in London, so a bunch of X-Men converge and get embroiled in a psychic mindwar on the Astral Plain between The Shadow King Amahl Farouk(is that fez hat he wears considered racist at this point?) and the deceased Charles Xavier’s psychic remains. Rogue, Gambit, Old Man Logan, Mystique, and Fantomex head into the Astral plain while Psylocke anchors them to the real world, while Angel and Bishop head off the UK military thinking they’re all a terrorist threat. Xavier “convinces” Fantomex to give up his body so Xavier can come back to life(I’m fucking suspicious of Charles Xavier. I think he’s a giant douche mayor) and they defeat Farouk. Xavier/Fantomex is calling himself X.
7-12. In defeating Farouk, they accidentally released Proteus from the astral plain and he tries to take over the world or some shit and they have to defeat him as well.
13-17. Havok has been “un-inverted” and is trying to form a new X-Men team, but Kitty won’t let him use the name and everybody he’s trying to recruit really doesn’t want to join the team; Beast, Dazzler, Warpath, Colossus. Rosenberg has some pretty funny dialogue. Land is still a tracer. The office of O.N.E. is having a scuffle with the Reavers and using them for their soldiers, which the Reavers aren’t happy with so they reluctantly team up with Havok’s team to stop them and Havok takes one for the team by being the “mutant terrorist” everybody still sees him as amd turns himself in.
The Annual has the new ‘X’ meet up with his remaining original students, Hank, Bobby, Warren, and the recently resurrected Jean where he manipulates them into fighting and killing Lucifer, the psychic alien who put him in the wheelchair all those years ago. Professor X, even in a new body, is still a manipulative asshat.

X-Men Red 1-11, 1 Annual. Recently resurrected Jean Grey forms a new X-Men team with the intent of spreading understanding around the globe, but Cassandra Nova makes it look like Jean kills the British UN Ambassador on live TV which sets off a pretty good storyline that culminates in a giant battle between Atlantis, the Avengers, and the X-Men all wearing Magneto helmets vs Nova’s possessed army in the ruins of Genosha. Solid X-Men story from Tom Taylor and Muhmad Asrar. Recommended.

X-Men’92 1-9. I’ve read a couple issues of this and I slogged thru them, so I decided to skip this entire series until later.

X-Men Grand Design:Second Genesis 1-2. Ed Piskor’s recap series of the X-Men from Giant Sized X-Men1 to around issue 186(when Storm lost her powers). Since I read pretty much all the actual issues, I didn’t need to read a recap version of said stories, so I just quickly flipped thru these issues. The second mini in Piskor’s “trilogy” of Grand Design books.

Extermination 1-5. The event where the original 5 X-Men get sent back to the past. Ahab shows up from the future intent on killing at least one of the O5 and thus making it impossible for them to return to the past and thus fucking up the timeline. A younger Cable shows and kills his older self because he wasn’t ‘protecting the timeline’ by allowing the O5 to stay in the present. Bloodstorm gets killed in the ensuing attacks, as does Mimic. Eventually, the teen X-Men go back to the past to stop Ahab in the present and they erase their memories and give them to their older counterparts in the present so their exploits wouldn’t be forgotten. The final page reveals that adult Cyclops is alive and working with Teen Cable.
Exterminated oneshot. Hope and Jean Grey bond over dealing with Cable’s death.

All of these series led into the weekly Uncanny X-Men relaunch from last year which is ending next month with issue 22 and leading into Hickman’s complete overhaul of the X-titles.

And that’s the box!!! Back to the beginning of the Alphabet!!!

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Missing issues from the current Thor run & war of the realms - I hope I'm about 3 issues away from being caught up on these. Still need bat 75.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I took advantage of the Prime Day sales at various sites to complete my collections of Dr. Aphra, Poe Dameron, and Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith.

Can't read Aphra yet because I'm still missing a couple of the books leading up to it, but I look forward to the others soon(er). I accidentally spoiled a "holy frigging shit!!" quote at the end of the DV:DLOTS series when I opened to that page just to check out the art. I know it's a total retcon, but Vader saying the line about the past makes that bit of TLJ much more significant.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The “A” box!(well, the A thru D box, but one series at a time...) starting with Amazing Spidey! Amazing Spidey has the unique distinction in the sorting of my massive collection of being placed in the Alphabet by its adjective modifier of the main character. In this case ‘Amazing’. Every other Spidey book, be it Spectacular, Friendly, Web of, etc ALL get put in the Spidey box. Likewise any other character, Hulk, Iron Man, Batman, X-Men etc, I ignore whatever the adjective dujour is and they all get lumped in the same box. But ASM gets to be in the A’s. But I digress.

Amazing Spider-Man 1.3 and 1.4. Amazing Grace parts 3 and 4. So, for awhile(and maybe they still do occasionally) instead of doing a stand-alone miniseries, Marvel was folding said minis into the “main” book as decimals. I bought the first two parts, thought it was weak-ass, and dropped it. Found these two in the bargain bins. Still haven’t found the final two parts, but certainly not a priority.

Amazing Spidey and Silk:Spider(fly) Effect 4. This was a digital first series that got reprinted as a mini the following year. Found the first 3 issues and thought it was the complete series until I read it and realized there was a fourth issue. Spidey and Silk travel back in time and team up with Uncle Ben to stop a little girl from using her Hydra dad’s time travel machine to go into the future. Meh. It was okay.

The final 17 issues of Dan Slott’s Record Setting Run on ASM.
29-31. Part of the Secret Empire event. Newly re-cloned Otto Octavius feels like Parker Industries belongs to him. Using his resources as member of Cap’s HYDRA, he systematically begins attacking PI branches around the world and Peter is forced to destroy his company before Otto steal everything.
32 was a Norman Osborn issue where he’s trying to find a way to unblock the nanites preventing him from becoming the Goblin.
789-791. The Fall of Parker. Reverting to Legacy numbering, Peter is dealing with the fallout of torpedoing his multi-billion dollar corporation and also some bad guys like Clash and Quicksand.
792-793. The Venom, Inc crossover with Venom. See above...like, I don’t know a dozen posts up.
794-797. Threat Level:Red. Peter gets a new job as the science editor at the DailyBugle and is dealing with single issue threats like teaming up Loki, the new Sorcerer Supreme, and fighting the newest Hobgoblin, Phil Urich. Meanwhile, Norman bonds with the Carnage Symbiote, and after interrogating JJJameson, figures out Peter is Spider-Man.
798-800. Go Down Swinging. The Red Goblin threatens Peter’s loved ones. Spidey recruits all his allies to stop him. Flash “Anti-Venom” Thompson sacrifices himself save Spidey , and realizes Peter is Spider-Man right before dying in his arms. Peter defeats Norman. There’s a funeral.
801. Dan Slott says goodbye after like 160+ issues with a stand-alone tale about all the people Spidey has saved. I’m not crying, you’re crying. You weepy bitches.
Annual 42. Betty Brant picks up the trail of cold case that long dead Ned Leeds was working on before he died like 30 years ago.
It’s funny this one is numbered 42 because usually it’s a new #1 Annual every time they relaunch one of these books.

Amazing Spidey:Renew Your Vows 9-23. The alternate timeline spun out of Secret Wars where Pete and MJ are still married and have an 8 year old daughter and they all fight crime together.

9 was the last part of an arc where MJ got the venom symbiote so she wouldn’t have to keep syphoning Pete’s powers.
10-12. Normie Osborn is mad his dad died saving Spidey. He ingests the Goblin Formula and kidnaps Annie May, but she befriends him instead and gets him to stop.
13-15. 8 Years Later...Annie is now 16. The family goes to Coney Island and fights the Lizard before finding an underground lab where a disguised Mister Sinister is experimenting on animals. He gets a sample of Annie’s blood before escaping.
16-18. Annie’s first day Midtown High. She meets a couple kids who give themselves super powers so they can get revenge on Normie for something his father did. Annie talks them out of it and saves Normie.
19 was a “flashback” issue when Pete and MJ took a cruise and end up fighting a Giganto that attacks the ship.
20-23. Weird Science. Annie fights a clone of herself and then the family heads to Westchester to help the X-Men stop Sinister attacking the school.
The series went ‘on hiatus’ after that for the Spider-Geddon event and Annie was in the Spider-Girls miniseries during said event. But after Spider-Geddon ended, RYV did not return. So those were the final issues. However, the success of a married Pete and MJ book has, I believe, influenced the newest ongoing ASM book by Nick Spencer where Pete and MJ are getting back together? I don’t know. Haven’t read it.

Next up, a short run of Angela, some Atomic Robo, and then a lot of Avengers.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Batman 75 & signed up for Hickman's X Limited series. Just when I thought I was out... you know the rest. Tom King Batman & Jason Aaron Thor are ending in the near-ish future so I'm on for those as well.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

History of the Marvel Universe 1
House of X 1
Marvels: Epilogue
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I like that the History of the MU has annotations in the back referencing the issues he lifted the “story” from. I was flipping thru it going “o hey I have that issue” over and over and over.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I got home & immediately questioned my purchase. I will 100% for sure be buying a collected edition of this set so by rights I shouldn't have even wanted the floppy.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Powers of X 1. I still haven't read either last week's or this week's - almost like I'm scared to be disappointed or something. Now over $8.50 for one new comic with bag & board in Canada. :frus: