So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Post by Tom Foolery »

The last issue of Transformers:Lost Light came out today. :cry:

The end of an era.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I spent damn near $100 on comics today thanks to Avengers 700, Uncanny 1, and Unicron 6 all being over priced.
Buying 26 books didn’t help either.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

2 issues of Batman & 2 of Detective - I think we're up to 991 now. Getting close. And I cracked & bought FF3 because I enjoyed the first 2 issues.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I was reading Spider-Man 2099, but by necessity of rearranging/reorganizing some boxes, I started reading all the Secret Wars minis I DIDNT buy when they came out, but instead filled in my collection from $1 bins and dealer shows.
A quick recap if you forgot. SW completely destroyed the multiverse, leaving only a single planet called Battleworld, where Victor Von Doom managed to save slivers of as many alt realities as he could with the stolen powers of the Beyonders and built a patchwork continent of “domains”. Most miniseries were a nod to previous “event” series in the Marvel U, retold thru the lens of this new reality where Doom was ruler and essentially god of what remained.
Here then, are the minis I DIDNT get the first time around. It’s about half of them.

Age of Apocalypse Nicieza came back for another story for this one. Not really a sequel to the original story, but references some of the events from it. They resurrect Jean to harness the Phoenix Force, Apocalypse is destroyed, Dr. Nemesis turns out to be the actual bad guy, and Jean eliminates the X-Gene from everyone, so mutants amd humans can start fresh. Eh. It was okay.

Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies A hot confusing mess by James Robinson. The south pole of Battleworld is an off limits no mans land shared by zombies and robots where criminals are sent to “live in exile” from all over the planet(really they just get killed within a few minutes). In the middle of it is a small sanctuary run by Jim Hammond, Simon Williams, and Hank Pym. I’m not even gonna try and explain the utterly inept conclusion of this story. Robinson sucks as a writer.

Armor Wars Everyone is forced to live in a suit of armor to save them from a deadly disease that plagues the domain. Investigative Journalist Peter Parker in his “Spider Armor” finds the truth and is murdered for it. Plot Twist, the domain’s leader and main hero, Iron Man was responsible for the disease so that everyone would have to wear his armor to survive.

Capt Marvel and Carol Corps Set in a kind of 1940s era, Danvers is the leader of a squad of female pilots who protect their domain. They begin to question what’s above the cloud line against orders, and make plans to go to outer space(which technically no longer exists) to find out. Kelly Deconnick had been writing Carol’s adventures since she had been given the Captain Marvel title and this mini was her goodbye to the series.

E for Extinction Sort of a mashup of Morrison’s entire run on X-Men, with Cassandra Nova and the Sublime amd Xorn all getting mixed together for four issues. In the end, Logan has to kill Jean to stop Nova and Xorn winds up with the Phoenix Force.

Future Imperfect Peter David came back to write another Maestro story. Maestro wants to unseat Doom as ruler of Battleworld and elicits the help of the underground rebels led by Thaddeus ‘The Thing’ Ross, Ruby Summers, Janis Jones and Layla Miller to get the job done.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

More SW minis.

Hail Hydra Remender(who I really don’t like as a writer) actually come up with a clever way to write the Ian “Nomad” Rogers character he had created during his Cap run out of the story. Ian was in Hydra’s Interdimensional elevator when the multiverse was destroyed, so he emerges from it as kind of a loop hole on Battleworld. He soon figures out he never “existed” in this reality, and rather than become the Hydra stooge was has always intended to be by his real father Arnie Zola, he decides to go back into the elevator and cease to exist.

House of M Magneto wakes up and has a very bad day when his son, Quicksilver teams up with Namor to try and oust him as the ruler of Mutopia. He’s forced to team up with the human rebels to reclaim his throne. At the end he does, and has breakfast.

Inferno Colossus keeps trying to save his sister from Limbo, even though she’s the ruler of Limbo and keeps trying to invade and turn everything into Hell. In the end everyone dies. Nice job, Colossus.

Infinity Gauntlet This one was kind of cool because it was one of the very few SW series to introduce new characters. Namely a female Nova and her family.

Inhumans:Attilan Rising Medusa is the leader of the Inhumans loyal to Doom and Blackbolt is the leader of a resistance group. The whole thing is just a social experiment Doom keeps playing where he swaps the two every time they join up to defeat him.

Korvac Saga The original Guardians are bodyguards to Michael Korvac, the leader of their domain. When someone starts killing people during the visit from neighboring domain’s leader Simon Williams and his bodyguard entourage, The Avengers, tensions grow. It turns out, Korvac is the killer because his omnipotent former self realizes Battleworld is a fraud, but he had put self imposed checks on his powers to stop this from happening. It didn’t work.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

More SW.

Marvel Zombies Elsa Bloodstone gets stuck in the zombie no mans land behind the wall, and has to use all her monster fighting skills to survive.

Master of Kung Fu Shang Chi, Disgraced and exiled son of the ruler of K’un L’un returns to fight in the deadly tournament to determine the new ruler and usurp his evil father. This series was one of the better SW minis. I enjoyed it.

M.O.D.O.K. Assassin MODOK, the enforcer of Killville is supposed to kill a fallen Thor Angela in his domain of killville. Instead he falls in love with her and helps her track down who tried to assassinate her. Hilarity ensues. Also a pretty good series

Planet Hulk Gladiator Steve Rogers and his pet Devil Dinosaur travel to Greenland, the domain populated entirely by hulks, to rescue his partner Bucky from the Red King.

Red Skull At the behest of Doom, Crossbones enlists a team of criminals to go into no mans land and make sure Red Skull is actually dead. Magneto is the only survivor and is rescued by Skull and they plan their escape. Skull double crosses Magneto and is in turn double crossed by Crossbones who kills him as he escapes the zombie continent.

Runaways Young Heroes from all over Battleworld are brought to a training school run by Valeria. When a group of them discover the grim truth of the school they...become Runaways...

Secret Wars 2099 Peter David just continues his Spidey2099 saga in this book. Alchemax’s super team of Avengers2099 throws down with the Defenders2099. There isn’t really anything that indicates this takes place on Battleworld at all and doesn’t just take place in the 2099-verse. Good stuff though. Introduces a lot of new 2099 characters like Captain America, Black Widow, etc.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Last batch of SW.

1602 Angela Witch Hunter Angela and her partner Serah track down Faustians and Witchbreed in 1602.

Spider-Verse The Web Warriors all wake up with amnesia in their new domain and have to track each other down and figure out what Norman Osborn is up to.

Squadron Sinister The evil Squadron Supreme keep annexing the domains around them, as they stab each other in the back and jostle for power in their own region. Brought back a bunch of obscure 80s imprint characters like New Universe and the Powerline books as antagonists in the series. Fun.

Star Lord and Kitty Pryde The actual Star-Lord who was in the spaceship that survived in issue 1 of SW is on the run and hiding out as a lounge singer when he meets an alt reality Kitty who works for Doom. They team up to find an anomaly that proves Battleworld is a lie.

Wierdworld Arkon searches for his home of Polemachus in a strange land. Fun fact, Crystar guest stars and I always thought Crystar was a licensed toy that Marvel did the comics for. Turns out, it’s a Marvel property that they licensed out to Remco to make toys of. This series was great, and so was the short lived follow up ‘ongoing’. Too bad new ideas can’t gain traction at Marvel.

Where Monsters Dwell Garth Ennis had fun writing about a sleazy pilot Phantom Eagle trapped in what is basically the Savage Land.

X-Men’92, X-Tinction Agenda, Years of Future Past Three different X-Men centric minis. Nothing noteworthy or memorable about any of them.

Whew. Now I can sort these back in with all the other SW titles and free up a box. And get back to the rest of the “S” titles.
I am now approaching seven long boxes of unread material. Ugh.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I bought a bunch of those, but not a lot of overlap - that's showing how much shit Marvel was throwing at the shelves at that time. I still have a hole my Future Imperfect set that bugs my ass.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:I bought a bunch of those, but not a lot of overlap - that's showing how much shit Marvel was throwing at the shelves at that time. I still have a hole my Future Imperfect set that bugs my ass.
I went back and looked. I only bought about 10-15 of the other minis as they came out. And there were some oneshots also. A majority of the event I got for super cheap.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I remember most of them not being needed to get the main story. I think the Thors one was half decently related & possibly the one about Ben Grimm & the big wall - that's about as much as I can remember ><
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Bought 20 new books today. And boards. Always with the boards.

Bought a Spider-Man book today NOT published by Marvel, but rather by IDW. What is the world coming to?
Not sure if I should put Dead Man Logan in the ‘D’s or just put it behind the OML series in the ‘O’s.

Haven’t read the last twenty or so issues of Daredevil, but I flipped thru today’s issue because it was the final before the relaunch. I gasped as that ending caught me off guard, then got goosebumps on that last page. Matt dies. Karen welcomes Matt into the “afterlife” saying ‘Don’t beat yourself up. You did everything you could.” Then there is five pages of black. Then just text.
“I cannot see the light.
So I will be the light.
I am Daredevil.
And I am not afraid.”
and an ekg flatline has a single ‘blip’ at the bottom of the page.
Goosebumps.
Good stuff as Soule finishes his run and hands the book over to Chip Zdarsky and Chechetto for the relaunch in January.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Holy moly.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Seems appropriate, with today's news. :(
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Paper Girls trade volume 5

Batman & Detective (60 & 993 I believe we're up to, I'm about 10 issues of each behind on the reading)

FF 4 (going to get 5 as well, that'll be issue 650 legacy-wise & the wedding of Ben & Alicia - perfect time to jump off.... again....)

Doomsday Clock 8 (punch me - seriously, someone come here & punch me in the face)

X-Men Christmas Special (no idea why)
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I keep buying Doomsday Clock also. Haven’t read any of them and not terribly excited to.
Shoehorning Watchmen into the DCU just feels lame and creatively bankrupt.

I’m also annoyed with DC always wholesale slaughtering its C-List characters in event comics.
The most recent offense being Heroes in Crisis. Which I’m also buying and not reading. Ugh.