Cataloging apps?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Cataloging apps?

Post by Diabolical »

Has anyone used or seen a decent app for cataloging comics or dvd/blu-ray (or any collection)?

I've fallen so far behind on cbdb that it'll be like starting over. Plus, it'd be nice to have my have/want lists it handy on an app.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Cataloging apps?

Post by Tom Foolery »

Every app I've ever looked at has a max capacity which I surpassed long ago. It'd be like 2500 or 5000 or whatever. I haven't looked recently though.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Ran

Post by Ran »

Whatever happened to that one website that the other site was working on? I cataloged a bunch of DVDs, McFarlane sports figures, and other stuff on that site. I think they did something to it that made it super slow and blew away most of my stuff.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

So, I've kind of found a way to catalogue anything and have it easily accessible (as long as you have an internet connection).

Just create a simple (free) website and start making lists on pages and bookmark it so it's easily accessible.
I used sites.google.com. Simple and easy. The biggest downside is you can't edit on a phone, but it's still free.

It's a work in progress, as I slowly add all the stuff I want to, but here it is if your curious:
https://sites.google.com/view/stufflists/home
Ran

Post by Ran »

I've been looking at collection apps. Found one useful app for vintage Star Wars figures, but haven't found one I really like to use universally. I tried a couple that were supposed to be able to scan the barcode on the DVD/CD, but they either didn't work or you had to pay extra.

Did you consider using Google Docs or Google Sheets? Sheets is basically Excel, so it lets you sort, etc. And, there are phone apps for it.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Goddamit.

Comicbookdb is shuttering on Dec 16th. I don’t know if they’re gonna reopen or restart it at a later date or what.
But it’s going to severely suck finding a new cataloging website to re-upload 60k+ issues.

FML.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

And they're not offering a free port of accounts to another platform? For shame. :(
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I see they have a link to download your collection.
Is it simply a word doc type of thing?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Cbdb is shutting down tomorrow.
I downloaded my collection. It saves it as a spreadsheet.
I wanted to try and add another batch of comics, everything I had post-Secret Wars 2015 thru the Legacy “relaunch” in 2018, but I just didn’t have time to collate and write it all down in the last month.

C’est la vie. I hope their “new and improved” tool for collectors is just that, but I’m skeptical because the current iteration was supreme. And free.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It’s been over a year since cbdb closed down. Despite what they said about “returning new and improved” I’m growing more and more skeptical.

As such, I took the plunge and made an account at comicbook realm today. And began the long long looonnnnngggg process of re-uploading my entire fucking collection. I swear to god, if these motherfuckers sell their website to some conglomerate and it gets shut down, ima commit murders.

Today is December 18th. Wish me luck. 70,000+ to go.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As of today(Jan 1st) I’ve added a little over 10,000 books. I’m still in the first notebook, in the middle of the ‘S’s. The “worth” is just shy of $70k. That, as we all know, is misleading. There’s some turds in there that are valued at cover price, that wouldn’t earn a nickel if you tried selling them.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Today I found out I had the 1st Appearance of Boba Fett in comics(Star Wars #42) all these years. $100.
I already knew I had the rare final issue because it was also Whilce Portacio’s first work. But $90 ain’t bad for that one either.

The kicker is, I don’t remember how I got them. I bought someone’s longbox back in the 90s at some point. Probably give him $20 for the entire thing. Probably some guy that had a huge chunk of Valiant and Image books, but not the valuable kind, and the random two dozen SW books were stuffed in the box also.

The only SW issue I ever bought for myself was issue 50 before I started actually “collecting” comics. And it’s dog eared, cover falling off, I read it so many times.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I got almost all of my old Marvel Star Wars (long since sold) at a store closing in Toronto. Literally sold them to me by the pound, likely about 60 issues for well under $1 per. I bought a #1 for $35 off the wall at a LCS thinking it was a fortune at the time. My 107 I got in trade along with ASM 300 for some X-Men doubles. I think I won that one.....
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Finished logging my original 1980s thru 1995 collection. 15,284 books with a “value” of $111,712.

I might treat myself and actually read some comics. Instead of just sorting, bagging, boarding, filing and cataloging them....

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Been a month since I started. I’ve added the 2500 or so books I collected between 2003 and 2006 when I restarted collecting with Batman Hush, as well as another 2500 or so from a couple collections that were bequeathed to me, or that I bought in bulk.

And I’m about 3000 books( just started the ‘F’s in this batch) into the stuff I bought while I was in CA, so I’m currently at 23,266 books.