Comics suitable for girls?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Comics suitable for girls?

Post by Diabolical »

Thinking about getting Cappy's 9-year-old kids some trades/graphic novels for Christmas.

I'm thinking I'll probably get Hayden that big ass complete Bone saga. For $30 on Amazon, it's tough not to gift it to a young reader.

For Hannah, I'm not quite sure. Even though she'll probably like Bone also (it's right up both of their alleys), but I don't want to get them both one book.
So I thinking I'll probably get her 3-4 regular trades to balance the massiveness of Bone.
My first thought is the first trade (or two) of Squirrel Girl. It's rated Teen on the cover, but I can't think of anything even remotely questionable.

Any suggestions?
I've heard great things about Lumberjanes since it's supposed to be a fun, all-ages, all-girl book.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Comics suitable for girls?

Post by jjreason »

Leave it to Chance. Harry Potter's female version blended with Kitty Pryde's dragon - add in ghoul's & ghosts (her Dad is basically the town's Dr. Strange) and you're off & running. An all time favorite of mine from the mid 90's.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5737 ... e_Volume_1

I think there were 13 issues, likely meaning the entire story can be arranged in 3 volumes. I got Miranda an oversized hardcover of one of them at one point, used but "like new" and it was cheap. Great gift, great stories.
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Comics suitable for girls?

Post by anarky »

I've heard great things about Lumberjanes, too, but haven't read it. My daughter loves Amelia Rules, but I think it's aimed at a younger set.

Craig Thompson's recent Space Dumplings is really good and has a female protagonist. It's as great as any of his adult comics, but far more family-friendly.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!