Image Comics

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Image Comics

Post by jjreason »

Weird, but no topic in existence based on my advanced search.

I'm not currently buying any books monthly from Image, but I just read Saga #1 on comixology for free - and it was very engrossing. I think you dongs have mentioned it in passing, but I haven't read any ongoing discussion or issue breakdowns. I think EP got most of a run from a friend or something???

I'm not sure what else they're putting out of note - just figured we could discuss Saga & that the company should likely have a topic.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Image Comics

Post by Tom Foolery »

I had read a coworkers TPBs and loved it, but I wasn't collecting the series until the compete run fell in my lap.

He also highly recommended Chew to me but I haven't read that yet.

I just started Thief of Thieves and that's been pretty good.

Walking Dead, as always, is complete ass.

Lots of other Publishers are getting into the creator-owned market so if there's a creator owned series that's not Image don't let that stop you from gushing about it.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I'm behind in reading, but Saga is fucking amazeballs.

I have the first volume of Chew but haven't read it. Same with Sex Criminals.

I have some scattered Walking Dead volumes. It seemed pretty good--not nearly as great as so many make it out to be, but I didn't dislike it as badly as you, Tommy.

The first volume of Rat Queens was good. The second, it's like they got post-accident Bill Mantlo to write new Rom stories. Okay, tasteless reference (Mantlo is fucking awesome), but it really is like two different writers and one failed English 101.

Manifest Destiny is really good so far. It's an historical fantasy in which Lewis and Clark have a secret mission: rid the frontier of supernatural monsters. Definitely would recommend, and hope it doesn't lose steam.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

In fact, that post reminded me MF Vol. 3 should be out soon, so I just preordered it (November release).
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I got Saga vol 2 for Xmas so naturally I went out & bought 1,3 & 4 as soon as the store was open. I'm done book 1 - really, really fantastic so far.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Since I'm getting to the point where my Marvel and DC collections are 95% complete, when I go to those dealer shows I've been sampling a lot of different Image books. The problem is finding a complete run of series. I'll have a 3-5 random issues of plenty of series but I've no desire to read half a story out of order so I just set them aside until I can track down all the issues.

Is Astro City at Image now? The few issues I've read just seemed to be Busiek's pastiche of old DC and Marvel heroes, but I'd eventually like to track those down and give 'em a read.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The latest incarnation is being put out by Vertigo - it's up to issue 30. There hasn't been any issue of this latest run that has really been up to the high standard set in the beginning honestly, these issues feel like someone producing safe comic in exchange for steady pay. :(

EDITED: And it has been REGULAR, I mean coming out like clockwork. Part of the old beauty of Astro City - as weird as this sounds - was having no clue when the next issue would show up, if ever. Getting a new book felt like seeing an old friend you weren't expecting to see or something stupid like that.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Done up to end of issue 30 of Saga. Please read this is you haven't. It's like all the best stories - you're so fucking there. And if that's not enough, Alana as drawn by Fiona Staples is quite possibly the sexiest female in the history of comics. And she talks dirty. Filthy dirty.
anarky

Post by anarky »

jjreason wrote:Done up to end of issue 30 of Saga. Please read this is you haven't. It's like all the best stories - you're so fucking there. And if that's not enough, Alana as drawn by Fiona Staples is quite possibly the sexiest female in the history of comics. And she talks dirty. Filthy dirty.
But is she shitting? She looks like she's shitting.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Not to me!!! Funny observation though. :lol:
anarky

Post by anarky »

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Well in that particular panel, the shitty shoe fits. :lol:
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Read the first 2 volumes of Ex Machina by BKV. It's fairly interesting. I got a good deal on them & don't want to pay full pop for future volumes, but I will certainly look for them at sale prices.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I was about 8 issues behind on Saga. My daughter reads pirated copies online and told me I had or read the latest issue(s).

So I dug them out of the unread box and read them all in about half an hour.

Holy. Shit.

And on top of that, the book is going on hiatus for at least a year per BKV and Fiona.

That is a huge fucking way to end the book. Not a cliffhanger perse, but Holy. Shit.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Book 9 comes out I believe next week - this is the first time I've "trade waited" and actually waited, meaning I haven't read anything since 48. Looking VERY much forward to seeing where it goes.