The Who, What, When, Where, Why & How to sell thread

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

The Who, What, When, Where, Why & How to sell thread

Post by jjreason »

I want to transform my collection, I think I've brought this up already. I envision a nice select group of floppies kept for posterity, mainly centered around what I liked when I was a kid & different things I didn't read from that same era but interest me now.

Most of the stuff I've accrued since I came back into collecting in the 90s I would consider selling. My question is this - how do you do it?

I've been in touch with one store who's willing to take my silver & bronze age stuff for reasonable prices (at least in my mind, I have no clue what guide values are these days, I'm just basing it on what I paid so I don't lose my mind). I'm pretty sure I'm going to dump my nice Uncanny 94 & GS1 for a big chunk of money to put towards our debt, along with any 12 cent marvels I have left from my previous sales attempts. I'm going to take some of the proceeds & by CGC'd replacements of those 2 books, but in the 8-8.5 range, then I'm going to crack them out of the shells when I get them, so my run is still complete. I should still come out well ahead there.

It's the more modern stuff that I want to unload without losing my trousers. I think in order to accomplish this I will have to go peer to peer - collector to collector. Do you guys know of any half decent comic forum sites like SSG that have their own marketplaces?
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The Who, What, When, Where, Why & How to sell thread

Post by Tom Foolery »

There's a website called atomicavenue.com where you can set up your own mini e-store and sell your own books. I guess it's like eBay or amazon, except it's comics only.
I think there's also a buy/sell feature at comicbookdb, but I've never looked at it too closely. I know there's a feature where you can check mark issues in your database saying they're up for sale.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Forgot about comicbookdb, good call. Thanks.

EDITED: Forgot about HighGradeComics.com, run by a fairly funny dude named Bob Storms. I think Bob might be rich - have a look & see what he himself is currently buying. :shock:
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

So with the help of Bob Storms I've sold my X-Men 94. I have my X-Men 1 and my Giant Size X-Men 1 up for sale too & have received bids, but just shy of what my mental reserved price is for those books. It was stressful as fuck sending them in the mail, let me tell you. :oops:

http://www.highgradecomics.com/article. ... s&id=93708

http://www.highgradecomics.com/article. ... s&id=93706
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

These being the same books you were separated from for three frickin' years?

And is it me, or does JJ look like a young Joe Don Baker?
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Sadly, yes. I'm resorting to Marvel Masterworks for my Silver Age reading pleasure - I had to move on from trying to collect those runs, never going to happen. The GS1 and 94 I've already spoken to the guy about getting replacement issues as part of my compensation for the graded ones - I can certainly live with 7.5s or 8s in the place of the really nice ones and still come out way ahead cash-wise.

Human Interest Backstory: we bought a hot tub as Jodi's back has been really bad lately & I want to get that credit line paid off here in the short term. This was the easiest path from A to B that I could come up with.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

GS1 sold. Between that & the 94 I've made more than 5x my purchase cost (and I bought a run of books, the remainder of which are still here - lovely minty fresh but never graded).

I guess that means I should likely be willing to take a lower price on the X-Men 1, though I really don't want to lose money (or even break even for that matter) after holding it for nearly 20 years. If I could only go back & give my 1996 self some advice. :wink:
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

All sold as of this week, just waiting on the last cheque to get here now. No feelings of sadness or loss to speak of.... yet.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

My daughter's first university bill arrived and it was $600. This next few years is going to take me out of the new comic buying game. I've started going through a few boxes & tallying up exactly what I'd be wanting to re-read from the last 2 years worth of book, and there isn't much. I've posted a generic ad on local kijiji and on a Canadian comic selling page on FB that I found. I'm ready to focus on collecting issues from when I was a kid & using trade paperbacks for the more modern stuff. I'll keep you posted on how I'm making out, EP, in case you consider thinning out that massive herd a little bit.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I don't know if I'm ready to start parting with my accumulation.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

First sale completed in principal - the guy has agreed to buy my Preacher & Game of Thrones runs for $575 (Canadian, so that's $11.23 US).

I am going to need to replace the Preacher books with used TPBs.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

$400 in store credit obtained today in exchange for the following books:

Deadpool (1997 series by Joe Kelly) 1-19, 1998 annual

Deadpool limited series 1-4 from around that same time

Batman 608-619 (Hush issues)

Batman Dark Knight (first series) issue 2
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm contemplating parting with some of my books too. Just taking up too much space for books I'll likely never read again.
I think all my local shops deal in store credit.

I'm wondering if bundling a run and throwing them on ebay would work. With the industry these days, some complete runs are no more than 30 issues.
I could do Batman and Detective New 52 runs + annuals, a few recent Deadpool series, and several mini-series.
And many of those have the variant covers.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Runs are definitely good. The thing about store credit - if you think there's any chance you might want to spend money there on trades or new stuff, you will get WAY more than they'll give in cash. I would certainly try to move the desirable complete sets on ebay though first - and you can always ask about consignments - the store puts up a sign or shows your books & then takes a cut of any sales. I've had luck with that before.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Well my DC box has been reduced to a few shrapnel issues. I turned in "most" of my Batman (still have about 20 various issues left), Superman, JLA, Starman, etc in exchange for store credit, and trades where I wanted to retain the stories but not continue to keep care of the comics.

Next up, I think I'm going to turn in my Ennis Punisher collection for credit toward the newly released larger trades - I think the whole thing is contained in about 6 double sized books (same thing they did at DC - Preacher is now 6 volumes instead of 12, fewer things to keep in print).