RIP Star Wars comics

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: RIP Star Wars comics

Post by jjreason »

In case we needed any more evidence for the "why we don't let REASON take the crime scene pics" file. Man do I suck.

IMG-20151205-00208.jpg
IMG-20151205-00208.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
IMG-20151205-00201.jpg
IMG-20151205-00201.jpg (51.38 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
IMG-20151205-00209.jpg
IMG-20151205-00209.jpg (68.22 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

And doing this exercise I realized I'm also missing Lando - of course I'm missing Lando. Grrrrrrr :frus:

EDITED: AND GREEDO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :frus: :frus: :frus:
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm surprised Greedo hasn't had his own 5 issue miniseries yet.

So, are all the books and comics before ANH still canon? All the Prequel nonsense? I'm confused as to the rules.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

My understanding is if it wasn't produced by Disney, it's "Legends" meaning they can take or leave any part of whatever they want of it but ignore the rest, including the earliest stuff like Tales of the Jedi.

I believe James Luceno - Chux will know for sure - is the only author that has worked before & after the change, and I think he has quietly referenced some of the old canon in the new canon so that it remains - sneaky hound.

Greedo would make for a good series. Doongar & Boba Fett showing up have been handled the right way for me at least - just enough to remain interesting without over exposing - NOT like AOTC in other words.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I think JJ's right. It's confusing as hell. They could give a clear answer, but won't, because I don't think they know.

I'm not sure if it's safer to assume it's all canon unless told otherwise, or the exact opposite. The EU has always been a mess, but this is ridiculous.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

It's very simple actually.
If it was made pre-Disney and not called Shadows of the Empire, then it's not canon because it more than likely sucked.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

This is almost entirely true, but there was the odd nugget. I loved the Rogue Squadron & Tales of the Jedi comics, for example - but I'm not sure if they'd hold up now or not.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'm not even sure SOTE is canon anymore.

I'm just saying that, since they actually pay people a lot of money to be in charge of canon, they could either say, "Canon is the six movies, the second Clone Wars cartoon, and everything made after the Disney takeover. Everything else you should assume to be non-canon unless told otherwise" or "Canon is the six movies, the second Clone Wars cartoon, and everything made after the Disney takeover. Everything else stands as it once did, canon unless directly contradicted by something newer. Meaning all the post-ROTJ stuff is non-canon, but the earlier stuff is okay if we don't tell you otherwise."

Right now, there only stance is a non-stance and it's confusing as hell.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

More conjecture, but I think this is pretty close to what "the party line" would be, if they would come out & say it. Plus I like the work that was done here, it's easy to see & use:

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-star-wars-canon-timeline/
anarky

Post by anarky »

Read the first Kanan paperback last night. It was pretty good--not great, but worth reading. I didn't realize this was an ongoing, though, and it ends on a cliffhanger.

I'm really confused now, though. I knew already that this book had a reference of some sort to Depa going Dark Side in Shatterpoint, lo those many (real world) years ago. But it's more definitive a reference than I thought it'd be.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I regret not getting those Kanan issues for the Mark Brooks covers alone. That guy does the best covers.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Darth Vader is ending with issue 25. That sucks.
Apart from Vader and the main book, everything else has been pretty dull.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Don't fret, it will start up again with #1 in about 2 months I'm sure. :frus:
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Darth Vader 24 was really, really good.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As I’m binge reading the Star Wars comic right now, it occurred to me in a way that I hadnt really thought about just how close together the events of Jedha, Scarif, Alderaan, and Yavin are. Like a matter of a few days, a week at most?
It’s also interesting because I’m on the “Ghosts of Jedha” arc in the book right now, amd when the series started, Jedha and Scarif didn’t “exist” for the writers of the comic, even though they took place a few days and weeks prior to the first issue of this series. So in my head I’m thinking all of this post-Yavin/pre-Hoth story continuity is forty+ years old because of when I saw the original movies, but Rogue Onecame out two years ago. It’s messing with my sense of time.

Do you think they’ll end the series when it catches up to ESB and relaunch it with a new First Issue?