RIP Star Wars comics

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

RIP Star Wars comics

Post by anarky »

Marvel will be taking over at the end of next year. They've said there will be no new SW comics (though it's unclear if that means altogether, or just brand new series) until 2015.

Given how they've mishandled almost every license they've had (or acquired in a similar fashion due to a Disney buyout), it's probably safe to say practically nothing will be available in paperback anymore, and the comics will die a slow death. Look at how they dropped Dark Tower like a turd when sales slacked off slightly. Or how they totally screwed the pooch with the Disney comics (especially Muppets), which Boom! was doing an excellent job with.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: RIP Star Wars comics

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I haven't bought a SW comic (other than a couple KotOR issues for my boy) in damn near two decades, so I really don't care one way or the other.
It's clear Dark Horse does (and would) pay more care to the license than Marvel would. But seriously, SW comics sell in the 10-15,000 range. That's pathetic. Marvel could hardly do worse.

What's sad is some bean counter who has no vested creative interest in Star Wars OR Marvel OR Dark Horse OR comics in general is making this decision. My right brain is screaming in rage.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I bought lots through the 90s, but they SO rarely captured the fell of sw for me that they were an easy drop when I got around to it. I honestly don't care if there are any sw comics being produced, let alone by whom. :(
"Something inside me....."
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

I'm no comics buff but I have enjoyed some of the Dark Horse offerings over the last decade. I'm kind of interested in that new 'what if' take on star wars. THE Star Wars. I read those early drafts of the story and script a few years back and preferred them to the final story. It'll be interesting to see it given visual life.

Star Wars Tales was a decent series. some cool stuff amid the filler.

Still at least Titan publishing aren't getting it. They dropped a moon on Chewbacca, the clumsy fuckwads.
Last edited by Jargo on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It was pretty interesting & the art wasn't too over the top. I'll stick around for all 8 issues.
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

I'll get the trade paperback or whatever the collected issues is called over here. There's a decent comic book shop in Liverpool. The staff are shit but the shop is ok.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Halfway through "The Star Wars" now. Very solid series, lovely art & it's fairly easy to follow, knowing what we know about Star Wars.

The most shocking thing though is the feel of the Darkhorse books - I mean the paper they're made out of. Glorious glossy covers & heavy paper stock - I don't have to worry about putting sweaty fingerprint marks on the covers if I touch them without white fucking gloves (and no, I don't read my Marvels with white gloves either, but they're fragile as fuck, especially the cheap, flimsy-ass fucking covers). The staples are all well placed & tight, every issue is minty fresh because of the materials used. $3.99 doesn't seem nearly so bad when you can tell some care was taken, compared to Marvel fucking us over at $2.99 per issue for their shitty "99 cents worth at best" comics. :frus:
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Do we want to discuss the new Marvel SW books here? There's only been 1 so far, and it was pretty darned good.

My only complaint - there is basically only ONE THING in my mind that DIDN'T happen between ANH & ESB - Luke meeting up directly and/or dueling with Vader. I hoping that the end of issue 1 leads into Luke fleeing before they cross swords, or else I'm already dead set against something they're going to make canon.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Why would Vader get sent on such a shit assignment in the first place?
Go to our Scranton satellite Office and Negotiate with an envoy of a third rate crime thug like Jabba for shipping and supply rates?
The Death Star just fucking blew up!! Man has more important shit to do.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I think it was just the expected Shakespearean opening sequence - jaw dropping & eye popping, foreshadowing what is about to transpire. They can really afford to slow things down after that one, and give us a bit of time to watch Vader stew over who the pilot was & plot behind the Emperor's back about trying to find him in his own book.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

SW2 - they broke the code already, at least the code I would have made sure they would adhere to if I were at the helm of the ship. ("Do whatever the fuck you want, but under no circumstances - EVER - will you - EVER - do anything to fuck with the awesomeness of Empire.") I was only mildly blown away by Cassaday here, seemed like a "busier" issue or something.

Vader 1 - this was ok, but likely should have been released in reading order as it seems to assume the reader has finished the complete first arc in the main book, which hasn't even been released yet. Great art in this one though, but Salvador Larocca. Awesome.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:Halfway through "The Star Wars" now. Very solid series, lovely art & it's fairly easy to follow, knowing what we know about Star Wars.
Just got this series in a box of stuff. Looking forward to reading it.
The most shocking thing though is the feel of the Darkhorse books - I mean the paper they're made out of. Glorious glossy covers & heavy paper stock - I don't have to worry about putting sweaty fingerprint marks on the covers if I touch them without white fucking gloves (and no, I don't read my Marvels with white gloves either, but they're fragile as fuck, especially the cheap, flimsy-ass fucking covers). The staples are all well placed & tight, every issue is minty fresh because of the materials used. $3.99 doesn't seem nearly so bad when you can tell some care was taken, compared to Marvel fucking us over at $2.99 per issue for their shitty "99 cents worth at best" comics. :frus:
Yeah, I remember when Marvel started using that new paper for their covers.

So now that DH is done, it is now possible to have a finite, yet comprehensive list of every SW comic they published. That may take awhile to compile because I literally zoned out on SW comics back in 1995. I got Dark Empire and Droids and maybe some Tales of the Jedi issues and then stopped. So 99% of what they did, I have no clue.
Mini series and ongoings and reprint series and oneshots in different eras. It's a bit overwhelming. But eventually I'd like to track everything down, what with me being a fucking madman completist. I said eventually.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Raise your hand if you spent $20 on Action Figure Variant covers of Vader & Leia #1 today!

Damn, I'm lonely again. :(
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Having read the first few issues of Star Wars, Vader, and Leia...it all just reads like glorified fanfic to me.

"hey there's a secret Imperial moon base with At-Ats and shit and Han has to drive one and Luke flies a speeder bike and Vader chops off the At-Ats feet with his lightsaber! Kewl!"
Or over in Vader it's like "Vader walks into Jabba's palace and acts all hard and badass! Kewl!"

They're not really doing anything new, just mix-and-matching elements we're already familiar with like a seven year old would do with his action figures.
How much longer do I bother with this?

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I was afraid of this.

I'm cool with Disney dropping the EU... IF they replace it with something better, or at least something that looks like they're trying to be better. So far, with the possible exception of Rebels, it seems to suck. :(

I've read some praise, but mostly from hardcore SW fanboys who would like anything with the name on it.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!