What should I look for?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

What should I look for?

Post by anarky »

Going to Comic-Con tomorrow, and it's likely to be the last one for a while. I've got a list of stuff already to hunt for in half-price boxes. Anything you fine fellows can recommend?

(I asked this on Facebox, and it got quickly derailed by my sister-in-law, who doesn't understand that stupid Twilight books won't be in with comic books and wants me to get her a signed copy; she can't comprehend no matter how many times I tell her that Comic-Con isn't a mostly-empty room with famous people going around and engaging in full-on conversations with random people. Not to mention that, if that hack writer were there, it would seriously be dangerous to try to speak with her if I wanted to.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: What should I look for?

Post by Diabolical »

The of the Ennis Punisher stuff.

Criminal or Incognito by Brubaker/Phillips.
Criminal is a crime nior book and Incognito is a crime nior book with superpowers.
Criminal has had 5 trades: Coward, Lawless, The Dead and The Dying, Bad Night, The Sinners. All are interconnected (some more than others) but none are vital to enjoy the others. You can jump into any story cold.
But you should read Incognito before Incognito: Bad Influences.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Thank you. I've added both series to my list. I've got a feeling that will be the sort of thing I won't find, but you never know.

All the missing Punisher trades were already there. I'm going to try to score some Morrison Batman stuff; I'm interested enough in his execution even if I think the underlying ideas are retarded, and he's a master craftsman. I seriously doubt I'll find any of that, but, like I said, you never know--I actually came across several copies of Watchmen the past two years, and got my Marvels from a half-price bin.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Now that I think about it, I highly doubt you'll find Incognito: Bad Influences.
I think the trade just came out within the last month, but you might find the first one.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

From DC, you can't go wrong with Jonah Hex and Secret Six.
From Marvel, Secret Warriors, Hickman's FantasticFour(although I doubt you'll find any of those), and Avenger's Academy.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Ran

Post by Ran »

There is a comic con this weekend here in town. http://www.amazinglasvegascomiccon.com/

It's $25 to get in on Sunday. Can anyone give me a reason why I should go?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Ran wrote:Can anyone give me a reason why I should go?
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

They're a fucking zoo. For very casual fans of comics like you - unless there is something very specific that is worth your money & time (ie some exclusive toy or book you REALLY want), I would have a hard time recommending it.

On the positive side - as far as nerd watching (and smelling - not that there is ANY positive to that) goes, however, it can't be beat - and there will likely be MANY scantily clad vixens in & around the booths. Especially in Vegas.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

Diabolical wrote:
Ran wrote:Can anyone give me a reason why I should go?
So you want me to go to this convention to kick Liefeld in the nuts?
jjreason wrote:They're a fucking zoo. For very casual fans of comics like you - unless there is something very specific that is worth your money & time (ie some exclusive toy or book you REALLY want), I would have a hard time recommending it.

On the positive side - as far as nerd watching (and smelling - not that there is ANY positive to that) goes, however, it can't be beat - and there will likely be MANY scantily clad vixens in & around the booths. Especially in Vegas.
I was thinking about picking up more GI Joe books, but then I realized I can get two of them on amazon for the price I'd pay for admission.