Questions about DC's relaunch

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Questions about DC's relaunch

Post by anarky »

My only response: "What?"
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

And there I was, with my alarm set to go off at 1130 so I could get to midnight madness & grab a copy. I'll likely still go, just because our shop is doing an "event", and who doesn't like events?
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

How is all this Nu52/Convergence/Rebirth continuity clusterfuck supposed to attract new readers?

Every character has "memories" of either Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis, Pre-Flashpoint, Post-Flashpoint, Nu52, and alternate Universes like Watchmen or whatever other fucking bandaids DC keeps putting on their fakakked timeline to "fix" it every other year and it just keeps getting more confusing. Characters have been de-aged but still may or may not remember events that either did or did not happen to them, based on which timeline they're from, interacting with other characters for which those events definitely happened and they clearly remember them. If you ask a simple yes or no question, it's now impossible to answer yes or no, without rattling off twenty paragraphs of clarification. Ridiculous.

Make mine Marvel.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

As a non-DC guy, I found the comic read well enough. Breaking up the art was a good idea. I'm not 100 percent sold on the Watchmen universe colliding with the DCU, but I'm finding it harder to really care about the reasons for relaunching - that whole concept runs counter to the point of the hobby in my mind, and I think most of us are on the same page there. It's like being a history student - what's the point of the hobby otherwise. I digress. The book was fine & I'll read Tom King's Batman for a few issues to see where it goes, not even remotely interested in anything else until the #1000s show up. I'll grab those.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah. Tim King's Batman and Chris Priest's Deathstroke are the ones I'll give a shot.

But mostly this has not rekindled my DC interest.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

So next on the Relaunch list is Warren Ellis doing a whole new Wildstorm Universe coming soon. I put there here because of the existing & prior integration of the 2 (which now stands only at one 6 issue Midnighter & Apollo miniseries by my math). Jim Lee has said this is NOT taking place on the DC earth & thus integration won't factor in.

I really like the Authority & related characters, I also dabbled in WILDCats for a bit with varying degrees of satisfaction.

Will anyone give this a shot? I foresee the typical Ellis blown deadlines & angry fans in the future.
Ran

Post by Ran »

My daughter is into the Supergirl TV show. She also reads a lot of books. If she were to start reading Supergirl comics, where should she start? I was at Barnes and Noble and they had a few compilations, but a couple of them were labeled "Volume 1".
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

https://www.amazon.com/Supergirl-Vol-Re ... dc+rebirth

DC re-started all their comics not quite a year ago & most of the series met with resounding success, in terms of sales. It won't surprise anyone that, like Marvel with their movies, DC has let their successful shows influence their comics a little bit. I would suggest this latest version of Supergirl will be the closest thing to her show.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Thanks. That may or may not have been one of the ones I saw at B&N.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That will likely provide her with 30-40 minutes worth of reading (if she only reads it once), just so you have some advance notice in case you were going to give her the book & try to chase the wife into the shower or something. :lol:
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I picked up Dark Days:The Forge from the previous week's comics to round out this week's stuff.

It's kicking off some DC super-Event called either Dark Nights or Metal. Or both. I have no idea what it's about despite DC touting it for the last several months. So I read this Forge comic last night. And I still have no idea what it's about. The nearest I can tell is that all the metal on Earth is evil and will soon rise up and destroy everything. Seriously, I have no idea what the fuck is happening.

Can someone maybe summarize this shit for me, since DC is doing a posspoor job of it?

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

The metal is evil?

What the actual fuck?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Dude, I seriously can't tell. There were like three or four interwoven storylines. One with Batman and Aquaman, one with Green Lantern, and one with Hawkman. But all three were were so cryptic about this pending doom, I couldn't figure what was actually gonna happen. I'm the afterword, it said this was a culmination of a bunch of hints dropped during Snyder's entire Batman run, but I didn't read any of that.

It failed as a comic.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

So this isn't the Watchmen related thing hinted at in the Batman/Flash crossover? Good. I was worried I had missed something important.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Frank Miller and JRJr are teaming up to do a Superman Origin story called....Superman:Year One.

THANK FUCKING CHRIST. Because this Superman dude just showed up and there's never been any explanation of who he is or where he's from or why he does what he does. Thank god, DC is finally getting their shit together and giving us answers. Almost 80 years, but we are finally getting a goddamn Superman origin.

And from two creators who are at the top of their game right now.

(By the way, Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely did his origin in one page. Four panels. Eight words. Top that Miller, you facist nuthole...)