The Sorting. The Fucking Sorting.

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The Sorting. The Fucking Sorting.

Post by Tom Foolery »

Finished writing them all down. It was 120 pages long.
So I'm now in cbdb.com phase. I started Wednesday night and I'm up to the 'F's. Definitely won't make my self-imposed deadline.

But funny story, I had held off cataloging the Flashpoint stuff because I'd been missing a couple issues from all the little 3-issue tie in minis. There were 17 minis and few oneshots. As I was finally logging them in this morning, I discovered the 2 issues of Flashpoint:Reverse Flash I'm "missing" don't exist and I've had a complete set of Flashpoint for over two years. It said 1 of 3 on the cover of issue 1, but it was actually just a Oneshot. Thanks cbdb!!
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

FINISHED!!*

Again. For now. Sorta*

* I haven't added any of the recent Marvel NOW! Stuff from the last couple years. That's what I'm starting next. It's 8 more drawer boxes.
Also haven't put in any DCNu52.
Also a small pile of Marvel Adventures issues not in there.
A few random other things floating around, like FCBD books from the last few years.

But the 19 long boxes of older stuff are alphabetized, catalogued, and logged on the cbdb website.
45,767 issues and counting. I fully expect another 2,000 from those 8 long boxes when I get them sorted.
Oh, and did I mention I bought two more long boxes last week? Or the dealer show next Sunday? But those are the next batch of sorting, which at this rate will be in 2017.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Just logging those into the website would have killed 11 normal men. Well done.
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I'm thinking of - maybe only temporarily - moving all of the HICKMAN Marvel books into one long box. Secret Warriors, SHIELD mini, Fantastic Four, FF, the current Avengers series & finally Secret Wars - not sure if they'll all fit, but that would be one glorious re-read some time down the road.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Secret Wars spinoffs - the end of last season or the start of the new? I've been moving them upstairs & downstairs repeatedly over the last week but am now finally leaning with "start of the new", in light of finishing the Spider Man series.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm going to put them all together in the 'S' box under Secret Wars with the main series. Even books that are going to "continue" like A-Force. The SW mini goes in the S, the new ongoing will go in A.

But since all the series ended at pretty much the same time, I cut it off with them and SW goes in with the new stuff. The only books that go with the older stuff are the 'Last Days' issues.

In fact, now that Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight and the last of the old series have wrapped up, I'm going to file and write them down and add them to cbdb in the next couple weeks. Or try to.
I noticed all the new #1s have forgone the red band at the bottom of the issue. I don't know if that has gone away permanently, but if so that "era" is what I'll be cataloging. The last 2-3 years of red band stuff.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

For sure "Last Days" are going with the existing volumes, the only issues I purchased with that banner were the Silver Surfer ones I think, and possibly one Magneto issue on a flyer.

I've been keeping all the red bands together too, but I have an issue inasmuch as they're running over into a second box. I might have to get a short one to be the second as there's no way I'll fill two long boxes with issues from that era.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Tom Foolery wrote:FINISHED!!*

Again. For now. Sorta*

* I haven't added any of the recent Marvel NOW! Stuff from the last couple years. That's what I'm starting next. It's 8 more drawer boxes.
Also haven't put in any DCNu52.
Also a small pile of Marvel Adventures issues not in there.
A few random other things floating around, like FCBD books from the last few years.

But the 19 long boxes of older stuff are alphabetized, catalogued, and logged on the cbdb website.
45,767 issues and counting. I fully expect another 2,000 from those 8 long boxes when I get them sorted.
Oh, and did I mention I bought two more long boxes last week? Or the dealer show next Sunday? But those are the next batch of sorting, which at this rate will be in 2017.
I added the Marvel Now and All New Marvel Now stuff(see the bolded line above). Basically every recent book/title up to Secret Wars. I'm sitting at 48,566 issues.

I have about 5-6 long boxes of older stuff, 5-6 long boxes of DC Nu52, and all the SW and post-SW Marvel stuff since September.
So that definitely puts me over 50K. FCBD is just around the corner and another dealer show at the end of May.

Since DC is restarting yet again, that puts a finite number on the Nu52 experiment. So I'll be finally adding that partial collection into the books along with the older stuff. Not sure about the new Marvel books, might wait on those. I am aiming for another cataloging session at the end of the year, but that always seems to get pushed back until I'm doing it closer to the middle of the year.

I also very seriously need to do a complete integration of all the various alphabetized collections because it's like 6 or 7 separate large collections of anywhere between 15 and 60+ long boxes each. But once I do that, I'll have to start keeping the list updated as I buy new books and THAT seems like a lot of extra work keeping things organized and moving stacks of books back and forth in the boxes constantly. NOT excited about that prospect. :?

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Well I lived the nightmare today.

Jodi came to me crying, right as I was waking up, and told me the storage facility called & there had been a water leak in the area of our unit - they needed us to come & assess any damage as soon as possible. I took the day off work & rushed over there, to find 17 long boxes with varying degrees of water damage - some superficial but a few boxes looked as though they were going to let go (and in fact, one of my Spider-boxes did fall apart when I lifted it, allowing its treasure to flop out - I rescued them quickly however).

My heart rate & respiratory rate were through the roof, I had vomit in my mouth and I was sweating profusely, before I even started looking at anything to assess problems. Here's the surprising part. I got the wet & dry boxes separated & went through the books from the wet boxes piece by piece... due to proper use of bags & boards, I didn't find a single book compromised. The boxes did their part & absorbed enough of the water to keep it off the plastic.

The storage place is near 2 stores. I purchased 17 new long boxes & checked everything a second time as I put them away.

Bags & boards inside proper comic boxes, folks. Every time.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Holy shit, that is the scariest creepy pasta you could ever tell, JJ. My stomach was doing flip flops. I'm glad everything is alright.

I am deathly afraid of finding some rats have burrowed into the boxes on the side I can't see. And when I get around to moving them, I'll have half eaten comics everywhere.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I've heard rodents can get at them, I just can't imagine what their motivation would be. The want nesting spots & could hollow out a place, I guess. I hate those disgusting things with the passion of the Christ, I'll tell you that much.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The hand of God himself saved your comics. There is no other explanation.

As for rats (or other critters) - is there anything you put on the outside of the boxes or near the boxes to deter the little bastards; something that won't destroy or stink up the box?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah, I have little poison cubes scattered all thru my storage unit. And I've scooped a couple of dead rodents out over the years.
The chance of them doing major damage is small, but I still worry.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

They hate mothballs & anything with ammonia I believe.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

shit, man, lucky son of a bitch! get some wood palettes to put on the storage unit floor. we have them all over our basement to keep stuff just a little bit off the floor. it wont' do much in a major flood, but it will work for what seems like the kind you just dealt with.

never thought about rodentia. damn, now i'm getting paranoid about the boxes in my in-laws' basement, though they keep it climate-controlled and he's always down there working on his model trains (the boxes are under the train tables).
Life is short. STUNT IT!