The Sorting. The Fucking Sorting.

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The Sorting. The Fucking Sorting.

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah, I'm going to see Spider-Man today, but after that I think I'm taking a tape measure over there and see just how much rearranging I have/want to do.

I'm trying not to think about the actual lugging of said boxes between the two locations. Blaarrggghhhh.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

621b563f5b4dc768a8918ed7f7c239a8--safety-meeting-lab-safety.jpg
621b563f5b4dc768a8918ed7f7c239a8--safety-meeting-lab-safety.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Over the past few weeks, I sorted and alphabetized 12 drawer boxes of my DC Nu52 books. It’s about 95% of what came out between Flashpoint and Rebirth. Last weekend and this weekend I logged all 12 boxes worth in my little notebook. In the next couple days I will be adding them to my comicbookdb page.

I also have about 14 more regular long boxes of stuff I’ve bought at dealer shows, and 10 boxes of mostly Marvel stuff that came out since the post-Secret Wars relaunch(which was like 3 or 4 relaunches ago). Since they’re doing another massive relaunch this summer, I figure now is a good cutoff point for starting a fresh set of boxes.

As of right now, only Weapon H, Domino, and Exiles #1s are in the new box. As each previous series winds down, they’ll go in the old stuff, while the new #1s go in the brand new box.

The Marvel stuff is pretty much already sorted, but the other 14 boxes are gonna take some sorting. And bagging. And boarding.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

With a move coming in less than a month, I'm in the midst of resorting/organizing my comics.
Ugh, why did I buy so many?

And I wish they were as easy to sell.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

So as I'm going through boxes and making a list of the books I want to get rid of, I discover that New 52 Batman #1 is apparently worth like $55 - I'm assuming because it's the first appearance of the Court of Owls.
Didn't they sell a shitload of these things because of the New 52 hype?

And it looks like New 52 Batgirl #1 is valued at $20.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The Snyder Capullo stuff is holding up well & still in demand. Good time to be holding those books! You'll sell them easy. Check Facebook for comic auction groups as well - I'm in a Canada one & there will be shit tons of american counterparts.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Tom Foolery wrote:Over the past few weeks, I sorted and alphabetized 12 drawer boxes of my DC Nu52 books. It’s about 95% of what came out between Flashpoint and Rebirth. Last weekend and this weekend I logged all 12 boxes worth in my little notebook. In the next couple days I will be adding them to my comicbookdb page.
Still haven’t added them to the comicbookdb database. :(
I also have about 14 more regular long boxes of stuff I’ve bought at dealer shows, and 10 boxes of mostly Marvel stuff that came out since the post-Secret Wars relaunch(which was like 3 or 4 relaunches ago). Since they’re doing another massive relaunch this summer, I figure now is a good cutoff point for starting a fresh set of boxes.
Finally dragged the 8 boxes that I’d been storing at my parents house over to my place. I’d been trying to sort them both separately and realized I was just spinning tires on both sets and not accomplishing anything with either. I’m done with 6 boxes up thru the “i”s. Still have about 10 boxes to go, including a couple boxes I actually have to go buy since my collection runneth over and are sitting in piles on the floor with no home. Hoping to finish within the week.
The Marvel stuff is pretty much already sorted, but the other 14 boxes are gonna take some sorting. And bagging. And boarding.
So here’s why I came here to ask for input. In one box I have Incorruptible, Invincible, and Irredeemable in proper alphabetical order. In the other box I have Incorruptible and Irredeemable together because they are sister series. My question is;
Do I just do regular alphabet, or do I keep the two Mark Waid series together? And if so do they go before or after Invincible?
Irredeemable was the first of Waid’s ‘Trilogy’ of series (Insufferable was the third, but I don’t have any issues of that one) so I’m kinda thinking:
Invincible, then Incorruptible, then Irredeemable.

Whatcha got?

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I like to put a sequel series with the original series, even though they aren't in alpha order.

I've also been putting series together under the character name, especially when I don't have a ton of issues, like Captain America or Spider-Man.
Or in the case of something like The Punisher, where we're on like volume 200, they are in chronological order.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

This is the start of my attempt to better sort and store my books. I've been slowly transitioning to short boxes because after having to move a ton of long boxes, fuck long boxes.
Shorts fit great on a shelf like this, and they look better, IMO. Plus, I'll be able to store other lighter collectibles on top.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180914-110541_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20180914-110541_Instagram.jpg (282.71 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Short boxes > Drawer boxes > Long boxes. There is no doubt about this at my advanced age.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Your boxes are all so pristine. Because I usually fill a long box at that dealer show, I have to make do with whatever the guy has on hand. Which are probably boxes from other people’s collections that he’s bought to resell. So my boxes are all rugged and taped up, with random writing on them like ‘F-G’ or ‘X-Men and Spider + Valiant’ and shit like that. With lids that don’t fit exactly.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

They're pristine simply because they are mostly new. I'll buy a new one every week or two as I'm downsizing the long boxes.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ugh. I just ordered 10 more drawer boxes. The shipping fucking kills my wallet. Almost $200 for 10 boxes. Bleahh :P :?

The last set of 10 I went thru quickly because I was organizing all those DC comics. Hopefully this batch will last longer if I’m only putting new stuff in them.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Can't your LCS order them for you, or what the dealers at shows?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The LCS orders from the same place I do, and pays the same shipping. Then they have to mark it up to make a profit. The only difference is they may buy more in bulk and get a small discount depending on the size of the order.
Buying them myself costs the same as buying them from the LCS who may or may not have any in stock on any particular day.

So I have another sorting quandary.
Marvel has done several ‘All Ages’ Imprints and series over the last decade and a half.

They did a Marvel Age Imprint in 2004. There was a 21 issue Spider-Man series, a 12 issue FF series, and a 4 issue Hulk series. These were books that took the earliest Lee/Kirby and Lee/Ditko plots from ASM and FF and recycled them with updated art and dialogue.

This imprint was replaced in 2005 by Marvel Adventures, which was a streamlined non-continuity all ages series. It started with Spider-Man and eventually had FF, Avengers, Hulk, Iron Man, and a catch-all Marvel Super Heroes ongoing series. By 2010, all these series were whittled down amd relaunched as an ongoing Spider-Man and an ongoing Super Heroes book.

After that, the all ages books became the Marvel Universe imprint, which was tied into all the various animated Disney XD series, like Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers, and Guardians.

So, my question is, do I put the various series with whatever hero(es) or do I keep them all together in the ‘M’ stuff for Marvel. I’m not actively collecting or seeking out any of these books. But I do manage to have a few issues from every series because of I buy in quantity at dealer shows.

I’m leaning towards just lumping them altogether under each ‘imprint’ in the Marvel box. And maybe separating them chronologically by what year the imprints came out. Since there is a finite amount of comics within each imprint and they’ve all ended except the Marvel Universe books. Which also have sort’ve ended since I think they’ve gone to a seasonal or mini series event format for those.