The Sorting. The Fucking Sorting.

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: The Sorting. The Fucking Sorting.

Post by jjreason »

Comic reading & collecting has essentially become akin to joining the Masons - you have to know somebody that's into the hobby and can show the secrets. Walking cold into a comic shop would be about as understandable as scrubbing in to perform surgery after working in the mail room for 20 years.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

jjreason wrote:Comic reading & collecting has essentially become akin to joining the Masons - you have to know somebody that's into the hobby and can show the secrets. Walking cold into a comic shop would be about as understandable as scrubbing in to perform surgery after working in the mail room for 20 years.
This is exactly why I never go too far with comic books.

Which reminds me, I should pick up more of those Classic GI Joe books. Anarky got me started on those and I enjoyed the first 3 volumes. I just never got around to buying more.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I need to get those too, I don't really want to spend a bunch more dinero trying to piece together the last 30 or so issues I need for a complete run - I could likely have the full run in TPB for less than they'd cost.

As far as the reboxing goes - I think cooler heads (ie laziness) have prevailed once again. I think I'm just going to start a few spreadsheets & start cataloging things. That way I'll be able to have a visual of what I've got from each month without having to fuck up my runs.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

These "100th Anniversary" oneshots that are coming out. Should I just throw those together in the "O" box, or put each one with whatever title it's a Oneshot of (FF, Spidey, X-Men, etc). I feel like when there's been multiple oneshots of the same "theme" in the past, I treat them like a miniseries and file them together.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

For me, FF will go with my FF shit, behind the annuals and then any limited series and one-shots I have.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Marvel 100th Anniversary Specials - together as a 5 issue "Event" a la Civil War/Original Sin OR single specials with their respective titles?

Oh, and by the way they all sucked except for maybe the art in the Spider-Man issue. Another $30 horribly spent.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Here's a tough one:

Spider-Man & the X-Men.

Conventional Wisdom says put it in 'S' with all the other Spidey books.
But, it is the thematic successor to the last two Wolverine & the X-Men titles and it's set at the X-school and primarily focuses on the students like those two previous titles. And I filed those in the 'X' box and not in 'W' as I treated Wolvie's name more as an adjective modifier of the title like Uncanny or Astonishing. I'm leaning towards doing the same with the Spidey book.

Of course, I may buy a couple issues and think it sucks and drop it. Then it won't matter. I'll file it in 'S'.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:Marvel 100th Anniversary Specials - together as a 5 issue "Event" a la Civil War/Original Sin OR single specials with their respective titles?

Oh, and by the way they all sucked except for maybe the art in the Spider-Man issue. Another $30 horribly spent.
I ended up filing them in 'M' (for Marvel 100th...) as a group. Because I bought the variant covers that all form one interconnected image and I wanted them together.

Also, I'm filing Capt. America & the Mighty Avengers under 'C' for Cap. Even though the book is just the next issue of the relaunched Mighty Avengers book. The 'A' box is already too complicated trying to figure out which Avenger titles go in what order based on the title and in what "wave" of mass relaunches it came out.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Trying to make checklists of which avengers issues you need from which volume is a fucking disaster.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Starting the experimental "by date" reorg today with Spider-Man. I'm not going to do the whole Marvel U, rather start here as it's my smallest of the 3 big components (at least that's how my mind stores them - Spidey & related, X related, Avengers/FF/Other Marvel Heroes). If you don't hear from me in 48hrs, please come knocking as I've likely been buried under an avalanche of longboxes and no one here will notice.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I was debating the other day on whether to go back and find all the 'Handbook' style issues over the last 10 years or so that weren't titled as OHOTMU and just file them all together with the OHOTMU books.

There's been a dozen or more and they're scattered as oneshots in every box.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

All that shit is under "Marvel" for me - even if it's not in the title - "Black & White" being the example that comes to mind.

Interesting (maybe not for you, but they have been for me) observations so far:

- I opened my last CGC graded book (Spectacular #1, I got it for an absolute clearance price but it's an awesome copy) so it would fit in my first box, that was a procedure in itself let me tell you

- I saw my ASM 135 (2nd Punisher) for the first time in likely 8 or 9 years

- I don't have as much "Web" as I thought I did (unless there is more tucked in another box somewhere)

- I'm actually feeling stress going through this process, like sweating, breathing more rapidly & shallow than normal, feeling agitated & wanting to take breaks all the time (and this is only a 4 box re-org, not the end of the world by any stretch)
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The sweating and stuff is normal. At least for me. After an afternoon of reorganizing/alphabetizing my back aches and I'm just exhausted and want to lie down.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I got one box fully done - basically issue by issue in a sort of reading order. There were months in 1996 and 1997 when not less than 8 Spider-Man comics were produced, if you include the limited series, New Warriors & Green Goblin. That's crazy.

The other 3 boxes are "ok" with 1 being a few issues away from being integrated my earliest stuff) & the other 2 needing some work (starting with the Byrne #1 relaunch & working through to the present).
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

And that didn't last long. I'm already doing a re-org of the re-org - the boxes are going to stay "as is", but in each box I'm going to have the runs of each series in order, with their annuals behind them respectively - followed by the limited series from those years and the one shots. It was nice having "Revelations" parts 1-4 together for example, but it's just not workable as far as checking to see which issues you're missing from a series goes.