The all-purpose Vertigo thread

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The all-purpose Vertigo thread

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

anarky wrote:You buy me some more comics and I'll read them and talk about them, wanker. Or are you just pissed this isn't "Rollo Tomassi's personal Snigtad Flornbi's ass-hair wankfest"? :p
:lol: If I wanted to start that Topic, I would. And before you chime in Robin, go fuck yourself you little ape.
I'll be at Comic-Con next week. If past experience is any indication, I should get plenty of half-price paperbacks there. I've already started on Scalped, but haven't gotten the first volume yet, so I've not read them.
Yeah I was thinking about that as I typed. Poor timing. Mea Culpa. And I hope you give Scalped a fair shake as a work unto itself and not be influenced by your feelings about its author.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Rollo Tomassi wrote:And I hope you give Scalped a fair shake as a work unto itself and not be influenced by your feelings about its author.
I don't hate the author, I just think his writing advice is a bit on the obvious and worthless side, and his attack on Alan Moore was, well, weird. But a lot of authors either give crappy advice or know they'd give crappy advice and keep their mouths shut.

Besides, if I can crank Nirvana and look past what a dipshit Kurt Cobain was*, I think I should have no problem forgiving Jason Aaron's shortcomings as a columnist. :D

*--Yes, Kurt Cobain was an utter dipshit in just about every sense of the word. He could make some catchy music, but he wasn't a "genius," and his music was his only saving grace. Don't even try to argue that he was a great lyricist, because he most certainly sure as fuck wasn't. "What else can I say? Everyone is gay." I think Snigtad came up with that independently.
Truth be told, as much as I like Nirvana, Cobain's real legacy is the discovery of Dave Grohl, who is immensely more talented than he was. If he hadn't gotten wasted and blown his head off, he'd be the same joke Eddie Vedder is now.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Voodoo Child sounds like an interesting premise (and you gotta love the blatant Hendrix ref in the name), and Denys Cowan is icing on the cake.

Is this title out yet?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Also, not exactly Vertigo, but have any of you read Seven Brothers? I came across it while doing a search for Voodoo Child, discovering that there was a previous series from Virgin by Nick "BEEESS!!!" Cage, and saw that Garth Ennis had written this title, based on a premise by John Woo. There are two paperbacks, both of which appear to be dirt cheap. Not much in the way of reviews of them, though.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Dig, dig, dig.

American Vampire is definitely worth reading. It's nice to see vampires who are characters, and, yet, not romantic pussies. Stephen King doesn't make up for the shitfest that was The Dark Tower (I'm not sure he could given fifteen lifetimes of awesome), but this is definitely in the right direction.
anarky

Post by anarky »

After two volumes, I'm still experiencing awesome boners from American Vampire.

However, anyone read Saucer Country (or know anyone who has, or the location of a reliable, spoiler-free review)? The first volume showed up as one of my "Daily Deals" on Amazon for a discounted price (not much more than two single issues would run). It sounds vaguely interesting, but doesn't ship until November. Worth checking out, or does anyone know?
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Any thoughts on Saga? I noticed it's by the same guy who did that book about A: The First Boy, or some obscure title like that.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I'm surprised Diane Nelson hasn't had her stooge squad of Didio, Lee, Harras, and Johns bring their boot heel down on the throat of Vertigo and crush it like a baby bunny. The absolute gall that any creator might actually be retaining ownership and control over their own creations probably rankles her to no end.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

iZombie is pretty fucking amazing.

I noticed Vertigo ditched the "free first issue online" thing on their website that they were hyping. New leadership stripping the effective sales tactics of the old? They do seem to be trying to kill the imprint slowly.

At this point, I hate to sound like a tinfoil hat type, but you will simply not convince me that Warner Bros and Disney want DC and Marvel for the wealth of intellectual properties they offer, but absolutely do not want to publish comic books because of the (relatively) lower profit margins. :(
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:iZombie is pretty fucking amazing.
Told ya.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Indeed, you did. And I thank you for it.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Finding cheap Vertigo back issues in the discount bins has become harder recently. I'm missing runs of Unwritten, Northlanders, Fables, and much of the more recent stuff like American Vampire. Comic shops order way less Vertigo now, so there's never any leftovers.

One of us needs to become a writer at DC so as to get comped issues.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

As part of my foray into the 'N' box, I finished the few Northlanders issues I had left to read. I finished the first arc "Sven, The Returned" which was the first eight issues.
Sadly, my collection is missing most of the last 20 issues of the series.
I have the first issue of "Metal" but not the other four. Likewise the first half of "Girl in the Ice" but not the conclusion. And the first part of "Siege of Paris" but not the other two. And I'm missing the "Icelandic Trilogy" in it's entirety.
What I DO have is brilliant, and this series is why I'm so excited for Brian Wood's all female X-Men book in June.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Bill Willingham announced Fables is ending with issue 150. That's roughly a year from now. He said the companion series Fairest would also end around that time.

Without Willingham's series as its anchor, Vertigo seems to have becomes what Icon is for Marvel. They keep it around so their superhero writers like Snyder and Lemire can do books they'd normally take to Image in house and keep them happy.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”