Comics that cost a lot, but have no reason to

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Comics that cost a lot, but have no reason to

Post by Tom Foolery »

When I stopped collecting in ‘94-‘95 and then restarted in 2003-4, I went on eBay and lucked into a couple nice auctions.
One was a nice run of the rebooted Daredevil run from Smith and Quesada up thru Bendis’ first issues.
The other was a nice, if not complete, run of the 1999 ASM including the 9/11 issue. These two issues have eluded me for many many years.

(I probably listed them on here when I got them, do I want to track down that old post...?)
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Somebody explain this math to me. The original Venom:Lethal Protector series. Six issues. First issue $15, 2nd is $5, 3rd is $3, 4 and 5 are $10 each, and 6th is also $5. Total “value” $48.

The TPB is going for $65...I don’t get it.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Is it out of print?
Process always rise when you can't get it easily.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

That’s probably what it is. It looks like it has unique cover art.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

2nd printings of books.
Batman 608. The first Hush issue. $18. The 2nd print is going for $100!
So some Johnny-come-lately who jumped on the bandwagon after the fact gets rewarded with a better investment?
Yeah yeah, I get the lower print run, supply demand yadda yadda. But I’m still gonna be mildly salty about it.

I also see it happening a lot with ‘newsstand’ copies of various books. It’s the exact same book, cover, interior, everything. But the upc in the corner doesn’t say ‘Direct Market’ in it, so it’s $50 instead of $5?!? That makes zero sense to me.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Okay, I’m not complaining because I have this series, but I am befuddled by it; the first appearance of Wraith.

Who? That’s what I said. He’s a c-list Marvel cosmic character that was introduced in a tie-in mini series for Annihilation:Conquest, which was the second Annihilation event series. After that he didn’t show up until he had a story arc as a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy’s b-squad in last year’s GotG book, and then he was killed off in a Venom oneshot leading up to the current King in Black event. He also had a bio in one of the Handbooks, but everybody gets one of those (“Tell ‘em Peter!”). The dude has had a whopping total of 18 appearances since he debuted in 2007.

His first appearance is $100?? As I said, befuddled.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Newstands I can understand. They were a very small percentage of the overall print run & in many cases had a tougher journey to surviving unscathed than those fucking little turtles that get eaten by the birds & crabs on the nature shows. If there are 2 copies of the same book available in the same shape for the same price I'll chose the newstand every time.

Not sure if this is the right place or not but I sold the first volume of Jason Aaron Thor with 1st appearance God Butcher in issue 2 & the volume of ASM with the Silk 1st appearance in issue #4 - both have gone up a fair bit. If anyone had told me there were all still cover price books I wouldn't have batted an eyelash as these characters mean absolutely nothing to me.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm guessing maybe Wraith was a product of the MCU rumor mill speculation.

As for Newsstand vs Direct, if it gets me a cheaper copy of a wanted book, fine by me.
I want Squirrel Girl's first appearance and it falls under that Newsstand/Direct issue.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

This book isn’t a lot and has no reason to, but neither is it a hidden gem, so I’m putting this story in here.

I have an almost complete set of Tom Strong’s Terrific Tales, but I was missing issue 10. I’m logging them in this morning and look at the missing cover. It doesn’t say Tom Strong on it(well it does, but its in tiny letters) the giant masthead logo on the cover says ‘Jonni Future’ so I probably passed this issue several times when scouring thru boxes, not realizing it was the missing book I needed. Assholes.

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Tom Strong was a cool experiment. kinda like a beta test for Atomic Robo. I'll have to dig those up and give them another read some time.
Life is short. STUNT IT!