Guys who should have their own books

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Guys who should have their own books

Post by anarky »

Can't remember if this has ever been brought up or not. If not, here it is. If so, fuck you.

Martian Manhunter: Really. Last survivor of an alien race, with a rather aloof approach to humanity (but a sense of humor nonetheless). Shapeshifter, super strong, telepath. Disguises himself as a detective. Really, why has no one taken this fucker out of the superhero realm and done some awesome noir-styled detective stuff with him? Maybe say it's from years before the Justice League existed.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Guys who should have their own books

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Martian Manhunter has had a couple of ongoings over the years. His last one ran 36 issues back in 2000-ish. And more recently he had some 8 issue mini series. But I agree, DC doesn't utilise the potential there enough.

Here's my idea.

Hawk and Dove. In today's vitriolic Red State/Blue State society, what would be more dramatic than two super heroes who take opposite stances on issues while fighting crime in Washington DC? And not just make Hawk out as a one-dimensional TeaBag hick. I actually pitched this as a TV show to our producer while working on One Tree Hill because he also produced Smallville and Warner Bros was looking for another DC property to milk. They were hung up on that shitty James Robinson Starman shit though. And I was a PA and couldn't possibly have any good ideas about comics. And I didn't have boobs.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Rollo Tomassi wrote:that shitty James Robinson Starman shit though.
this is an alternate reality Rollo, right?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

vynsane wrote:
Rollo Tomassi wrote:that shitty James Robinson Starman shit though.
this is an alternate reality Rollo, right?
James Robinson is the most boring cunt writer I've ever read. I'll admit I haven't read his Starman (beyond the first three issues), but when he "came back" to Comics, his One Year Later story in Batman/Detective sucked, His Superman stories were weak, His current JLA stories are boring shit (I can't believe they got rid of Dwayne McDuffie for this prick), and he killed off Red Arrow's daughter in the most jacked up unneeded "shock" story ever. Fuck that hoser. I won't say he's the shittiest writer working in comics today, but he's the most overrated.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Not Fraction or Bendis?

I haven't read any of his stuff, but the consensus seems to be that Starman was awesome and everything else is utter horseshit.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I still like Bendis. Yes, his shine had dulled over the years because his dialogue all sounds the same after reading him for a decade, but he still writes great banter. his best issues are when theres no fighting and everyone is just sitting around the Avenger's mansion bickering.

And Fraction does Iron Man, which is consistently awesome. I've since forgiven him for his Punisher because goddamn that shit was gold compared to Remender. And his X-Men didn't suck like everyone says it did. It was just mediocre.

But what also pisses me off about Robinson, is that he's got some kind of special clause with DC concerning Starman. Nobody else can write that character. And he can't even appear in another comic as a Cameo without his blessing. But he's free to decimate other people's creations on his whim. He killed off a bunch of Batman's rogues in his Face the Face story, and a bunch of heroes and villains in his Cry For Justice series(capping it off with Roy Harper's daughter for good measure) but NOBODY can touch his precious Jack Knight. It's the same thing with Geoff Johns and Stargirl, since its partially based on his dead sister. She's off limits. But Johns and Robinson have the highest body count of DC characters.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Is he the fucker responsible for killing both the Ventriloquist and Orca (and, IIRC, one of the KGBeasts)?

If so, I hate him on principle. He and Fabian Nicieza can blow each other's tiny penises in the special level of Hell reserved for guys who kill off great Grant/Breyfogle characters because they're too dense to write them properly.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I somehow became hell-bent on collecting James Robinson's StarMan run, but haven't even started reading it because I don't have the whole thing. To me he is simply awesome because he wrote Leave it to Chance, one of my favorite series ever. That Golden Age 4 or 5 issue mini was also supposed to be amazing, however I've not found it anywhere at a reasonable enough price to pick up.
"Something inside me....."
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

This guy has 2 auctions, each with half of the series for .99 cents. Shipping to Canada is a bitch though. :?
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Hmm. I might just snag those & get them shipped to Minnesota with my other crap. That's cheap!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Yeah. I've discovered that a lot of books that were "hot" at any given point, sellers will have them at jacked up "Buy it now" prices, but you can usually find somebody selling their collection for cheap. And it turns out, if nobody is actually desiring that particular issue, or series, at that particular moment, then you get it for a song. I'd say ten percent of the time, I get outbid on something, but 90% of the time I snag good shit because nobody really "wants" that hard to find issue, people just like to brag they have that hard to find issue that's expensive on ebay. It's all about patience and timing. And patience.

Once though I got outbid and got pissed so I jacked up the price to make the other guy pay more, and accidentally outbid him by like 30 cents. So I paid like $12 for some books I really didn't want for that amount. I only wanted one of them and it was part of a lot, and I had most of the other issues in the lot already. So I kept bumping up the bid and went one too far. I don't do that anymore.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Hehe! I think ebay comics are a mixed bag - I've been disappointed many more times than I've been really pleased. Once I even got rooked for $50 because I sent cash to England, the wanker didn't send anything & left ebay. Screw him!

I agree with the patience, it's the same for SW figures - the guys who pay for "hot" figures are paying to have it now, not to have it. I'll get it later for shelf price thanks.

SORRY - GUYS WHO SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN BOOKS: Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer & Namor (if they don't, they might right now or might not).

But they fail every time you say, which is why this needs to be done as a "Tales of Suspense" or "Tales to Astonish" title like the old Marvel Comics Presents with one serial story running through a few issues to go along with a couple of short stand-alone stories. Rotating creators with only one "big name" per issue if possible, allowing other newbs to play with the toys in Marvel's toy box & get some exposure.

And yes I know this wouldn't sell worth shit, I'm a romantic. :(
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Dr. Strange is no longer Sorceror Supreme. He lost it to Jericho Drumm, Dr. Voodoo. Who was SS for five issues of his own short lived ongoing series, and a story arc in New Avengers before he was killed. Now Strange is part of the New Avengers but doesn't do the whole blue tights and big red cape thing anymore. He macs it in a black turtleneck and leather coat.

Silver Surfer has a mini series right now, but its pretty weak. And his last mini series in 2008 titled "In Thy Name" was pretty weak too. Everybody wants to write him like an emo bitch because thats how Stan did it back in '68. Give me the ass kickin' Starlin and Lim version from the 90s.

Namor has his ongoing right now, but sadly its already been cancelled with issue 11 (its on 8 right now). It started as part of the X-Men vs Vampires Event from last year.

Ongoing series seem to be more and more of an anachronism these days. Any series that gets billed as an ongoing recently ends up being less then twelve issues long anyway. Of the maybe twenty ongoings that Marvel has launched in the last few years, only three or four have had any legs. For second tier characters, I think you'll be seeing a lot more of that. Mini series that get in, tell their tale, and get out.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yeah the short series/ltd series really plays into Marvel's TPB scheme, which I think is netting them a big chunk of their revenue these days.
Venkman
bacon

Post by Venkman »

Rob Liefeld should have his own comic. I don't mean he should have a book to write and draw (and ink and letter...and publish), I mean there should be a Super Hero book about Rob Liefeld saving babies from underwear and stomping out creator's rights and shoving it down the man's throat and sticking it to virgins! That would be so totally awesome! If my penis wasn't so painfully raw and chafed from masturbating, I'd be diddling myself right now! I guess I'll have to settle for fingering my butthole and pretending it's Rob!
You need anything Rob? Wash your car? Cook you breakfast? Eggs benedict maybe? No? Need me to fondle your balls? Tickle your anus? Make you a nice fondue? I Love You Rob!!!