Free Comic Book Day

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Anyone want to help a brother out?

Post by anarky »

I'm going to be out of town this weekend. And, as you probably know, Saturday is Free Comic Book Day. :(

Hell, even if I were at home, the only nearby comic shop that's not a major den of scalpers closed down earlier this year.

I'm going to try to swing by a shop or two and grab what I can, but I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to do so. If anyone might be able to grab some extra stuff for me, let me know.

As for what I'm interested in, uh, everything. (It's free stuff, y'know?)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I'll likely head down to make sure I get the Spidey book, so I can try and grab a pile for you.
"Something inside me....."
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

Speaking of the Free Spider-Man book, if this is Marvel's attempt to draw in more readers, they really dropped the ball. That issue sucked. If I was gonna do Free Comic Book Day as an incentive to lure new readers, I would have my A-List writer and artist do an integral story to some upcoming mega cross-over that gets new readers to pee their pants and want to find out what happens next. And also throw long time collectors into a tizzy because they have to track down an "free" book for an important part of Marvel Lore.

Like next year, have Tony Stark take off his armor and reveal he's a skrull.

Or have Spider-Man kill Magneto. or something.

But the FCBD issue they put out was stupid, irrelevant to anything going on in the Marvel U at the time, and completely stupid. Jackpot? That was so unbelievably lame. :roll:
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Eternal Padawan wrote:But the FCBD issue they put out was stupid, irrelevant to anything going on in the Marvel U at the time, and completely stupid. Jackpot? That was so unbelievably lame. :roll:
there's rumblings that it won't be as irrelevant as it seems, which scares me all the more...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

So with no training whatsoever, Mary Jane Watson is just going to go all vigilante? Won't she immediately have to register? What's the purpose of that?

I have designed a mechanism utilizing a series of ropes, pulleys, and clamps, that will attach to the left legs of both Joe Quesada and Rob Leifeld and is essentially a perpetual nut kicking machine. The gesture of one of them kicking the other in the nuts, sets it off to make the second kick the first in the nuts, which then makes the first kick the second, etc, etc. Even after both men have passed out from excruciating pain, the machine will continue to deliver each other's boots to the nads until they are squishy pulps.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

They just simply can't go through with making MJ a hero. I still want to believe that the weird heroine at the end of the FCBD issue is a redhead that reminded Peter of MJ..... but wasn't her. I'd actually be alright with that - maybe even have him think about her in that way his wife wouldn't like - that always works well with Felcia Hardy. Hell, have it BE Felicia Hardy with a new dye-job, trying to lure Peter back into her bed. Jesus knows I'd have a hell of a time staying out of it, red hair or not!
anarky

Post by anarky »

If I had Mary Jane at home, I could stay out of Felicia's bed pretty easily. :beard:

Doesn't mean I wouldn't give Ms Hardy a damned hard look first, though.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I guess Parker would be more used to the ladies taking hard runs at him like Felicia always does - it's basically "Pete, even though you're married I wanna fuck you. Hard. Now." but for all audiences, right? I just haven't encountered much of that in my life - so I know I'd have trouble with it.
Diabolical

Free Comic Book Day 2008

Post by Diabolical »

May 3, 2008
http://freecomicbookday.com/sponsors_gold.asp

Archie -ARCHIE'S PAL JUGHEAD
Bongo - BONGO COMICS FREE-FOR-ALL!
Dark Horse - HELLBOY/B.P.R.D.
DC - ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1
Dynamite - PROJECT SUPERPOWERS
IDW - TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED
Top Cow - BROKEN TRINITY PREVIEW
Marvel - X-MEN
Virgin/Sci-fi - THE STRANDED/DAN DARE FLIP-BOOK
? - SHONEN JUMP SAMPLER
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Re: Free Comic Book Day 2008

Post by anarky »

They were really wise to permanently schedule this on the first Saturday in May... the biggest SAT date of the year.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

DC needs to pull their heads out of their asses and release something new for FCBD. a reprint of all-star superman? sure it's an awesome book, but c'mon...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

vynsane wrote:DC needs to pull their heads out of their asses and release something new for FCBD. a reprint of all-star superman? sure it's an awesome book, but c'mon...

Yeah, thats very 2005 thinking. I would bust out with a copy of Mark Bagley's new Trinity book. The big three? C'mon...thats a gimme.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Snigtad Flornbi
christopher walken
Location: I AM NOT CALING U, I AM CALLIN THE LADYS, NOT U, CUZ U R A FAGG!

Post by Snigtad Flornbi »

UR SO GAY U PROBLY THANK THIS FORM IS ABOUT U, DONT U FAGG!!

YAYYYYYY DOOSHE!!

O YES!
NOW THAT IS A GOD DAM GAYE ROBAT!!! LOOK A THAT FUCKIN DICK ON HIS HAND, HE PROBLY SUX IT EVER NITE CUZ HE IS A GAY FAG LIEK U FAGGETS!! MAN, U FAGS LIEK ROBAT DONG HANDS UP UR GAY ASSES DON'T U, HA HA HA HA HA HA I NEW IT!!!
anarky

Free Comic Book Day

Post by anarky »

Any good hauls?

The local store had the GIJoe book. Also a shit-ton of Marvel (Spidey, and something like twelve different Iron Man books), Mouse Guard, War of the Supermen, DC Kids, Shrek, Toy Story, Archie, Domo, and Bongo. I got one of each.

The GIJoe comic is all I hoped for and more. I already see the seeds of the next major subplot (or two) being sewn here. Even with a totally different look, Mindbender's comment about flossing told me I was back in the real Joeverse. It was worth the fourteen year wait... I just don't want to wait that long for another. :D

Any of you fellas with regular comic shops: any chance they might have leftovers of Atomic Robo, Owly, or Dr Solar/Magnus? I really wanted to check those out, but this store didn't order them. I don't think there was anything Image, either. Which was especially weird of them to just leave out two of the biggest publishers.
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Free Comic Book Day

Post by vynsane »

you can probably write to red 5 and request a copy of the robo issue - i did so last year, and they actually sent me two copies, because i told them my daughter was excited about the robot fighting a dragon on the cover image. they also threw in misprint first issues of two other titles (the covers had lamination problems).

i didn't actually make it to a comic book store this year - for the second year in a row. but my wife's cousin went to my local store and picked up some of the books for me, so i doubt i can get any extras, but i'll talk to them.
Life is short. STUNT IT!