Free Comic Book Day

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Free Comic Book Day

Post by jjreason »

This year it falls on my 42nd birthday - not sure if it's ever been a direct hit before but it's always within a few days either way of the 3rd. There's typically a Marvel Movie hitting the theaters too, and this year it's Spidey, right? I'll hit the store for sure, still have to peruse what they're going to have available though so I can plan my picks... and Thomas' picks as well. :lol:

Here's a link for anyone else that wants to preview the books: http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/981
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

3 stores, no Robo. :cry: :frus: :frus: :x :| :( :???: :???: :???: :frus: :oops: :cry:
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Happy Birthday, JJ!!

At the first store I got Robo, CBLDF:Defend Comics, DC Futures End, Grimm Fairy Tales, Rocket Raccoon, Teen Titans GO!, TF vs GIJoe, Valiant Universe Handbook, and Overstreet's Marketplace.

At the 2nd I got All you need is Kill, Armor Hunters, Steam Wars, Skyward, another TF vs GIJoe, and Über.

At the 3rd, I picked up Spongebob.

Also, a bunch of comics (duh.) and two DrawerBoxes. Came in just under $100 for everything.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Thanks! Kinda cranky as the only store of the 3 I visited that even got that issue was store #2 - and I should have gone there before we had this family deal. I knew as soon as I left store #1 I should go, but poo pood it for fear of being late. That'll learn me. :?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Would it be would be worth the cost to mail one to Canada?

I got Atomic Robo, Guardians of the Galaxy (that was missing piece I mentioned in what i bought this week), Rocket Raccoon, Hellboy, The Tick and DC's Futures End.
It was way too busy to hang around and pick and choose stuff I was unfamiliar with.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Maybe. If you have the ability to pick one up & just hang on to it, I'd appreciate it. If I can work one up here, you could give it to someone else... otherwise I'd pay to have it shipped from the mitten.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote:Maybe. If you have the ability to pick one up & just hang on to it, I'd appreciate it. If I can work one up here, you could give it to someone else... otherwise I'd pay to have it shipped from the mitten.
I just have the one, but you're more than welcome to it if you want it. I don't have the attachment to the book as you guys do, as I've only read one or two issues.

I might be able to get a second copy if my LCS has any left, but I doubt there will be. I probably should have grabbed two of it instead of the DC one but I wasn't thinking about it.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Is Rocket Raccoon okay for kids? I don't mean an all-ages book, but is it loaded with sex and graphic violence and stuff?

Also, what's the final consensus on TFvJoe?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'd definitely say Rocket Raccoon is good for kids.
He battles rabbits and rescues a princess with Groot and a walrus using sci-fi violence that you'd see in most kids cartoons.

Plus, there's a Ultimate Spider-Man (the current cartoon version) story in the second half.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky wrote:Is Rocket Raccoon okay for kids? I don't mean an all-ages book, but is it loaded with sex and graphic violence and stuff?
No sex and minimal violence. Y'know...for a raccoon running around armed with blasters.
Also, what's the final consensus on TFvJoe?
I didn't like the art. The story is okay, but it's like he's trying to mock the premise rather than write a kickass TF/Joe series. You can tell he was influenced by the cartoons and not the comics. There is a "commentary" thing in the back of the book, where they break down each page and the decisions that go into crafting the story. That was cool and interesting.
Several Joes like Zap, ShortFuze, Shooter, etc are unceremoniously mowed down as cannon fodder for "laughs". I don't like the "translation" of the TFs (and FYI you don't need to say 'Translation' with an asterisk every time. The once would have been sufficient and being of average intelligence readers could've made that leap for every subsequent caption. Not stupid.)

My expectations for the series are already low, so unless it's wretched beyond belief I'll just buy it read it and then forget about it. Apart from ARAH it's the only Joe book until Sept.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Here's a quick run down of the FCBD books I got.

All You Need Is Kill. Sampler of the GN adaptation of the original novel by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. Also the basis for Tom Cruise's new movie Edge of Tomorrow.

Atomic Robo. Action Mycology is totally a thing.

Help the CBLDF Defend Comics. Various segments on why the First Amendment is important, etc. there's a great historical comic strip about Wertham and the creation of the CCA by Fred VanLente and Ryan Dunleavey. Check it out.

DC New 52 Futures End 0. 35 years in the future Brother Eye has converted everyone to OMACs. Or killed them. The last heroes attempt to send Batman back in time to prevent it but he's killed before he can and Terry McGinnes (sp?) goes instead. Except he doesn't go back far enough and ends up Five Years in our future. Begins one of THREE new year long weekly series from DC. The others being Batman Eternal and an Earth2 series.

Grimm Fairy Tales 0. I had no idea GFT was almost up to issue 100. Other than their titilating covers I've never paid much attention to GFT or any of it's spinoffs.

Guardians of the Galaxy. Iron Man asks Flash Thompson to join the GoGs as the Avenger's liaison. (think about going back to 2004 and saying "The bully who used to beat up Peter Parker is now A. Venom B. A Good Guy C. An Avenger trusted implicitly by Tony Stark AND Steve Rogers and D. Out in space with the Guardians. You'd get thrown in the boobyhatch.) Also a preview of Starlin's new Thanos OGN. And a teaser for the new Spider-Verse Event where Morlun kills Spider-Man 1602.

Overstreet's Comic Book Marketplace. A freebie version of their market watch magazine.

Rocket Racoon. Rocket and Groot and some Walrus dude rescue a princess from bounty hunters. Not bad, but nowhere near memorable enough to get me excited about a solo series for Rocket.

Skyward/Midnight Tiger sampler. From Action Lab, two preview of upcoming creator owned series. The Midnight Tiger was decent, except it was derivative of so many other SuperHero tropes. Its all been done.

SpongeBob. Duh. It's SpongeBob.

Steam Wars. Completely derivative "homage" of Star Wars set in a SteamPunk universe.

Teen Titans GO! 1. Freebie reprint of the new TTGO! First issue I paid full price for a couple months ago. Dammit.

TF vs GIJoe. See Review Above.

Über. Kieron Gillen's story of how "Supermen" introduced in the final hours of WWII changed history. Told through case notes and interviews. Well done. I'm going to hunt these down now.

Valiant Handbook 2014. All of Valiant's relaunched titles and characters synopses in one handy issue.

Valiant Armor Hunters. Previews of upcoming Valiant books including Armor Hunters and Rai. This new Valiant Universe looks pretty decent and I like their keeping it to only a handful of books(less than ten). Wish I could afford it.

Last year's pile of FCBD books hasn't moved. I really need to organize this place. EDIT. I think the stack from the previous year (2012) is also still sitting somewhere unfiled. I guess it's a "Sorting. Fucking Sorting" question. Do I keep them all filed under 'F' for FCBD or do I just put them alphabetically as a bunch of random shit?
Obviously, some stuff gets filed, like the Atomic Robo, the TF, and the Marvel and DC stuff. But otherwise it's just a lot of randomness. I feel like it's better suited just filed in a 'FCBD' box by the year it came out.

Thoughts?

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Honestly? Unless you're attached to them for some reason, give them away. Save yourself the hassle.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I can't understand the language you are using. It sounds like you're saying give away my hoarded treasure that I hoarded because I'm a hoarder. It's like gibberish to me. Clearly it makes no sense. :P

The stuff I already had/have comics of (TMNT, Star Wars, Judge Dredd, etc) got pulled. Everything else gets put in one comic sleeve sans a board and they'll just go in the 'F' box. One sleeve per year. At least for the last three years. Fuck if I can remember where 2011 and earlier shit is. Maybe I didn't grab as much random stuff back then. I'd have to go back thru this thread to see what I grabbed and that might trigger a memory.

EDIT. yup. For 2009-2011, It was primarily Marvel and DC stuff which would've been filed with the appropriate series. Wasn't until 2012 I went sample happy. And in CA it would've been even more selective because many of the shops would limit you to like 3 to 5 books, so I'd have to hit up several shops just to find the specific freebs I wanted.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

My previous manager at the theater was a cool guy that would try to line up events related to movies coming out. For instance, when previous Fast/Furious movies came out, he had reached out to local car enthusiasts and had a bitchin' car show in our parking lot.
For the last three FCBD he had a local comic shop drop off a shit ton of freebies to promote the super hero movie that inevitably gets released that weekend.
Unfortunately, he moved back to Kentucky last summer and his replacement is a company asslicker with zero imagination to be innovative and put butts in the auditoriums. So when the local comic shop came in this year, he said no because he's afraid corporate would get their undies in a twist.

But the upside is, the comic guy dropped off
Secret Wars 0 and All New All Different Avengers a few weeks early for me to read.

SW0 is just Val Richards and her team building a transdimensional life raft in the final hours before Secret Wars starts, while recapping the last 3 years of Hickman's run leading up to the Event. Exposition in a Primer masked as a short story, but decent enough.

ANAD Avengers is the rookie team of Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales and Nova helping the old guard (Falcon-Cap, Thor, Vision, and Iron Man) stop Radioactive Man from robbing a bank.
It'll be fun to read a lighter Avengers title from Mark Waid. Hickman's fantastic, but his run is dark.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I just looked at the list this year and not a single issue appeals to me.
I might actually skip FCBD this year.

Or if I go I'll try and grab some kid friendly books for Adam's kids like I have in the past.