Free Comic Book Day

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Free Comic Book Day

Post by anarky »

I dunno, JJ. Marketing would be the big thing.

I wouldn't say comics should be free with purchase, but the stores shouldn't be charged as much as they are to advertise Disney and WB without some assistance. Maybe "you get a number of free issues based on your orders, then can buy more." Or, if Diamond really wants to promote comics in general, how about "you get one copy of each of the big five's titles with every indie freebie you purchase."

I was reading one site where a dude said everyone got one comic, and it was randomized. No exceptions. He went just for TF 80.5. They gave him Avengers and attitude when he asked if he could switch.

I've never found the Atomic Robo freebie, despite the incredible reviews the book constantly gets.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Marvel went back to full size because they didn't do any original content for the first time in forever.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

My suggestion would be to pressure the store. Not horribly, but just make sure the proprietor knows you're disappointed that all the titles weren't made available. If he gives you a song & dance about how expensive the stuff was, I'm thinking it's malarky. If my guy & my store, who sells MAX 50 copies of his best selling book every month - MAX MAX 50 copies - can have lots of everything, there's no way in hell it's overly expensive for them. It's not often I would take the side of any corporation vs the guy on the street, but I really believe they do bend over backwards to keep the costs on this stuff down, just to get it out there. I might even ask a few pointed questions to Chris the next time I'm in there & get some facts.

EDITED: All I got from this site was "at cost".

EDITEDED: Another half-decent short article in which the proprietor discusses the risks vs potential reward - no hard numbers though.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

I've heard $0.25 or $0.50. But for stores who lay them all out and let folks take one of each, and many of those people buy nothing, that's equivalent to just losing a few dozen copies of books.

The only comic shop within an hour of here sucks like few comic shops suck. The employees are among the rudest I've encountered, which, given that we're talking about an industry known for its rudeness, is pretty damned bad.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

If I had to choose between rude & anal (about making sure you're getting EVERY issue & that each issue put aside for you is the nicest one in the pile) vs. polite & unconcerned about those same things, I would choose rude. Sadly I'm stuck with polite. :frus:
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Remember that FCBD Hardcover Mouse Guard book that came out this year? Supposedly it was fairly limited(or perhaps under ordered due to its cost to retailers, considering it was "free"). Anyway, my sister found a copy at Goodwill the other day for a buck. It came in the mail yesterday. Pretty cool.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

IT'S FBCD!!!

And I'm pissed. :x

But first, here's the freebs I got. At the first store, 11 books in alphabetical order, Bleeding Cool, DC Nation Super Sampler, Infinity, Judge Dredd, Mass Effect, Sonic the Hedgehog, Star Wars, Superman, TMNT, Valiant Masters, and Walking Dead.

At the second store I got six more, Chakra the Invincible, Fubar, Hulk Agents of SMASH, a Louis Lamour book, and 2nd copies of TMNT and Infinity.

Notice anything missing? NOBODY HAD ATOMIC ROBO. :frus:

I also got a bunch of books at both shops. A short box stuffed for $25 at one. And 48 books at the other shop, 3 for $1. But I'll list them in the "Haul" thread.

But still, no goddamn Atomic Robo FCBD books. What the fudge, AMERICA?!?!

EDIT. oh, and the first store had cosplayers out front to draw attention to passing vehicles. A couple guys dressed like Movie Captain America and some other guy. And a chick dressed like movie Black Widow. Now, her face wasn't anything special. A five maybe. She had a big nose and too sharp a jawline. But holy schwitt, she had the most glorious butt ever hugged by vinyl. Sweet Jesus, I was gonna get out of the car and go get arrested because I was gonna drag my fingers across it. Perfect ass.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I remember a couple of years ago, the folks working at the store didn't seem to have even heard of Atomic Robo. It's a damned shame.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Okay, I read 'Infinity' the FCBD prologue to Marvel's big summer event. The story was good, and there was a reprint of an old Thanos story from the 70s and that's fun.

Then there was a 4-preview of Warren Ellis and Mike McKone's upcoming graphic novel Avengers:Endless Wartime.

Which the ad bills as "Marvel's first Original Graphic Novel"

Uhmmm...lolwhut? The First?!! Why would they brazenly lie about that? It's not the first. Hell, it's probably not the 101st. Why wouldn't they call it 'Returning to a proud tradition' or 'Beginning a new era' or 'the first in 20+ years' (or however long it's been). But it's certainly not the First. Dummies.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I can come up with absolutely no way that they can justify that comment. Is it even the first of 2013?
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Captain Marvel died in the first "Original" Marvel graphic novel for fucks sake, so it's not like people don't remember that story.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Even if somehow you don't remember the first Marvel graphic novel, it's not like it's a pile of forgettable shit. God Loves, Man Kills comes right to mind--X2 was frigging based on it. Elektra Lives Again? How many have Silver Surfer and Punisher had? Hell, even less top-tier stuff like Hearts of Darkness or The Jungle Adventure are graphic novels and no one can dispute that.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Heads up! FCBD is next Saturday. You've all been notified in advance to have plenty of time to adjust your schedules accordingly.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

For the first time in years I don't have to work and I'll be in town.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Always on an SAT day. Goddammit.