Classic "letters"

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Classic "letters"

Post by mabudon »

I have been reading comics from my stash lately. I have been reading GI Joe the past few days and I always skim over the "letters". GI Joe has a special kind of letters page in that a LOT of the people writing in are seemingly either VERY young and/or Flornbesque. I couldn't think of where to put this so I figured a new thread topic would be the best way to go. Any great submissions from any letters page should go here, be they retarded, odd, brilliant, or even frightening. That should do for a preamble.

Ok in GI Joe #49 there is a letter from a brother and sister "team". They go on about how much they love GI Joe, and how they all have their own code names. The writers are Kat and Striker, and the rest include Snake-Slayer, a team up called Whisper and Shout, Tight Air (which is odd but wait) and then one that I almost feel I'd have to scan to prove it, cos no joke the code-name this kid chose (and for some reason Marvel actually printed) was Shittler
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Classic "letters"

Post by vynsane »

awesome idea. also, post any letters you've had printed. i'll try to dig out my letter that was printed in 'powers'.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

There's an old issue of The Punisher (I'm pretty sure cappy has it) that has a letter from a guy I graduated with - he's now a State Representative here in Michigan.

Man, it'd be awesome if he were to someday be governor or higher.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I recall Rob Tokar wrote some really bitchy letters to Transformers right after he took over as editor, and pissed off a lot of people since they didn't see it was a joke.

The best were the rash of letters to GIJoe in the late 1980s, all something like: "Man, GIJoe is the only semi-realistic army comic, only no one ever dies. This is war; people should die. Oh, and I hate ________." Then Doc, Quick-Kick, and Breaker buy it in one issue, and the same people write in: "Dammit, how could you kill Quick-Kick? He's awesome!" To which the reply was, "This is war; people should die. You don't get to choose. Just like in real war, sometimes it's people you like."
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Do you have #49 Anarky? You should look it up, it's funny to actually see it with yer own eyes, and maybe my copy just has some kind of printing problem and it said something else entirely
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I've got it, but I'll have to dig it out.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I don't get it. Why is "letters" in quotes?

Does that mean they aren't legitimate letters? Is letters some hipster code for LSD Trips or something? What am I missing here.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

shroba fett
bacon

Post by shroba fett »

Hay you guys! I just wrote my first letter to image comics! It was really neat! amd fun
Hear it is!

Dear Image Comics Guys,

A long time ago, my brother gave me an Image comic to read. It was called Brigade. I did not like it very much. The good guys and bad guys in the comic reminded me of Marvel, except without being cool. or intersting.
Last year, I saw another comic by you guys. It was called Haunt and had a zombie SpiderMan in it. It was kind of shocking because I was surprised you had not gone out of business twenty years ago because Brigade was so awful and my brother told me all Image comics--well he said a word Mom said we shouldn't use-- but it was naughty.
But now I did a little research on the Internet and saw you guys have made a whole bunch of comics. I was wondering if you could send me copies of all of them to read? They mostly look stupid and I don't have any money to give you for them but I wouldn't spend money on any of your crap anyway. Exspecially if its like Brigade. But I will give your comics another chance if you send me all of them for free and i can remake up my mind.

Thank You in advance,
Shroba Fett

PS I don't want to trade papers back with you or whatever. I want only actual comics. You must have lots laying around because I know because I went to my comic store and he guy behind the counter said they couldn't give the backs of issues like Brigade away and Team Youngblood and I said I bet they could so send me the comics and I will prove that guy he was wrong!!

PPS My brother said the first issue of Walking Dead costs $600!! I don't think that's true because it's not colored and Batman is not in it. I also think comics based on TV shows are dumb. Like Power Rangers.

Okay, so I haven't got a reply yet, but wowee I'm going to have a lot of free comics soon!
Would you like a new Darth Vader sculpt?
ANARKY IS A JERK! DEATH TO BEARS.