atomic robo

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

atomic robo

Post by vynsane »

because this comic is just too fun, and because they released the past two year's worth of FCBD editions, i figured i'd link here and get some other people interested in a totally worthwhile, really awesome book.

http://www.atomic-robo.com/fcbd/

it's not monthly! only comes out every once-in-a-while! seriously! (okay, maybe 8 or 9 times a year...)

worth it!
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: atomic robo

Post by anarky »

I've heard recommendations for this before, and it looks good. I initially figured it wouldn't be, since it seems too "gimmicky" to name the publisher after a Star Wars in-joke and thought the comics would be equally gimmicky until Atomic Robo started getting rave reviews and was tough to find. I'll definitely check out the paperback when I have a chance.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

yeah, it's unfortunate that they decided to name themselves after luke's x-wing callsign, but it's sort-of appropriate as well, seeing as how both founders worked for lucasfilm or worked on the SW comics. they're a really cool company, though. if you missed my little "give'em a chance" plea in the 'what comics did you buy this week' thread topic:
vynsane wrote: also, regarding FCBD, i have to say: the guys at 'red 5 comics' (yes, named after luke skywalker's call sign, because the two founders of the company used to work for lucasfilm) are REALLY cool. while i didn't get to go to FCBD this year as i was working on the house, my wife went for me to the store i used to go to on long island, since she was there for a baby shower. well, they didn't order the 'atomic robo' FCBD issue. that was the one i was looking forward to the most! they put the pages online at http://www.red5comics.com a few days later, so i got to read it, but i really felt like it was a hole in my collection, so i emailed them hoping they might have some leftovers for just such an occasion. i told them my sob story and that if at all possible, if i could receive two copies as my daughter was like 'THAT'S A ROBOT FIGHTING A DRAGON!!!' when i was previewing this year's offerings on FCBD.com - well, they responded within like, an hour and said 'send your address along and we can send you a few copies' - they sent it priority, i got them on monday, and they even threw in the #1 issues of two of their other series, 'neozoic' and 'abyss'!!!

seriously, give them a shot, because they are really cool people and atomic robo kicks all kinds of ass! i haven't had the chance to read the other books they sent, but flipped through them. neozoic is interesting - the comet or asteroid or whatever killed the dinosaurs - well, in their reality it was knocked out of its trajectory by another asteroid, so eventually humans evolved in a world where dinosaurs still exist. 'abyss' is apparently about a super-villain who died or something. the first cover looks like the cover to superman #75, but with the bad guy's cape there instead of the superman one.
i've since read the other two comics they sent, and they're interesting as well. not as full-on fun as robo, but cool in their own right. i'm not sure they're cool enough to get me to hook on, but it's really cool of them to send them. they looked like misprints - the cover lamination was a bit bubbly, so they probably had them in a supply closet for just such an occasion.

however, as it's an 'image-esque' company where the creators own their creations, the guys at the helm of robo are the main draw for me. they're just really talented in their respective abilities - brian clevinger is a REALLY snappy, smart writer. scott wegener has a REAL flare for story-telling and his art is on par with early cory walker and ryan ottley (of invincible fame) but a style all his own. the emotion he gets out of robo's 'face' (really, just his eyes) is astounding in its simplicity. basically, this is one of those one-in-a-million collaborations that just work SO well.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

How much do you figure the back issues go for? I just recently discovered this (it was a random issue stuffed in a box of 1100 issues I bought) and want to read ALL I can find!
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

the print-runs were low, but they're still pretty under-the-radar, so you might be able to pick some up on ebay for near cover price. i saw a few that were 2nd printings of the first series for about that in a cursory search.

they're all collected into TPB's as well, so you can get them that way. volume 1 is simply known as 'atomic robo', but that was appended with 'and the fighting scientists of tesladyne' for the collected edition, volume 2 is 'atomic robo and the dogs of war', volume 3 is 'atomic robo and the shadow from beyond time' and volume 4, which is 2 issues in thus far, is called 'atomic robo and the revenge of the vampire dimension' although it was supposed to be 'atomic robo and other strangeness' but diamond messed up the solicitation on them, using the title of the first issue as the title of the entire arc, so they just went with it so as to cause as little confusion as possible... sort of.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I picked up Series 2 issues 2 thru 5 for just a biscuit over cover at a comic shop in Iowa City. haven't read them yet though.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I read a couple days ago that Brian Clevenger, the writer of AR, has been tapped by Marvel to do an ongoing Capt. America title set during WWII.

Color me excited!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Went on eBay today and got issues 3-6 of the first series (first printings!), issue 1 of Dogs of War (so that one is complete), and issues 3, 4, and 5 of the Shadows from Beyond series. All for cover price. So I only need issues 1 and 2, and the second issue of Shadows. Issue 1 looks to be expensive, so I'll either have to get a 2nd print, shell out more than I'm comfortable with, or get lucky at a convention.

And I had no clue there was a new series starting! My comic guy is going to try and get the first issue from last month for me and then order them from now on.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Taco Bell is doing a kids meal promotion where you get an 11 page exclusive Marvel Comic with the kids meal. There's an X-Men book, a Fantastic Four book, an Avengers book, and an Iron Man book.

But Rollo, you're asking, what the fuck does that have to do with Atomic Robo?

Well, shut the fuck up you impatient ass, and I'll tell you what it has to do with AR. The Iron Man issue is written and drawn by the extraordinary team of Brian Clevinger and Scott Wegener. Words can't descibe how awesome it is to see Iron Man tussle with MODOK but it feels like you're reading an AR tale.
Hurry down to Taco Bell and subject yourself to a crappy hardshell kids taco today!!! Its worth it!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Just a bump for the thread. Try it, you'll like it. I'm going to have to try & dig up that Iron Man book, good luck with that. :frus:
"Something inside me....."
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I just realized the other day I don't have the last issue of the latest mini. AR never shows up on Diamond's weekly shipping list for some reason. So I looked online and it came out in April. Dammit. My guy never ordered me a copy (or he did and some other bastard bought it).
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

What the hell, man. Atomic Robo never shows up on Diamond's Advance list. So not only did I miss the final issue of the previous series, but now I see a new first issue came out last month and the second issue is supposed to be out on Wednesday. Dammit all! :frus: Do I just have to order these directly from Red 5 or what? I missed the final issue because their distribution is so sporadic I figured it was behind a month. Which then became two months, and then I checked into it in July and saw it had come out in May.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Finally read the first volume. Excellent stuff all around. Cannot wait to continue onward.

I'm going to assume that Rollo (and maybe the rest of you) caught the identities of the 1985 team of Action Scientists who went up against Helsingard. Awesome homage there. :mabs:
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

So I went on ebay last night, kinda looking to finish my missing AR books. I found Shadowfrom beyond Time 2 at Treasurehoard for $4.20 with a "make best offer" on it. I decided to see what else they had for sale since I dont like buying just one book and paying shipping when i can buy 20 or 30 books and pay the same amount, or a tad more. Anyway, one of the books I found was Dark Reign Mr. Negative 2. They had it listed as issues 1 for $1.37 but the picture was issues 2. So I emailed the guy and asked if the image was wrong, or if the listing was a typo. he got back to me and said it was a typo. But then they jacked the price up to $6. I was like, so if I had bought it without asking..? So then I started doing "Make offers" on a bunch of books trying to get a good deal and buy bulk. So you know, at the end of the day the guy was going to get $50-100 from me and I felt like i was getting some books I needed at a deal. So he starts counteroffering my offers by dropping the price by 1 to 3 CENTS on each auction. I'm like WTF? Are we really gonna do this? Then he e-mails me and says he's not gonna go as low as I'm offering on these books. I was like, yeah, I'm sure that copy of Hulk:Nightmerica 6 that I bid $1.00 is gonna hold out because some douche is gonna pay you $2 for it. Its a Hot seller!! Same goes for all the other issues I was looking for. Anyway, I wont be buying from TreasureHoard any time soon. They take the hoard in their name too seriously. Sadly, they're the only one who has SFBT 2.

So then I found Deadly Art of Science 5 at a different seller (Fantomcomics). It was $2.10 And I bought about 25 more books at $1.20 or $1.60 just to defray the shipping. In doing so I finished Warriors Three mini, Osborn mini, Knight and Squire mini, Luke Cage mini, The Uranian mini, Astonishing X-Men Xenogenesis mini, Azrael's 2009 ongoing, and the Robinson JLA series I finished off. I caught up on X-23, and Heroes For Hire. And I got closer to finishing off Green Arrow (2 issues) and Spider-Girl (3 issues).
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I found a website that sells comics called Atomic Avenue where I found my missing Atomic Robo: Shadow From Beyond Time 2. And to get free shipping from the guy, I spent $40 and got some other stuff. It was more than I usually spend per book, but I really wanted that AR. So I got a bunch of recent issues of Scalped and found one of the two Peter Parker:Spider-Man issues I'm missing. And a few other things. Ended up with 15 books for $41, which is wayyy more than I usually spend per issue.

But the website is basically a conglomerate of sellers offering their books, so if you're looking for something, at least one person has it. And more often several guys have it, so you can get some good deals. I saw one guy was selling the old War Machine series for like $1.00 each and I have a hell of a time finding those. Also, some of those Wolverine issues I'm looking for were on there cheaper than usual. Sadly, they weren't from the guy who had my Atomic Robo. But if this purchase pans out (I dont count my comics until they're in my hand. It'd be just my luck he 'accidentally' doesnt have that issue...) I'll be back for more.

Anyway, so now I'm just looking for first prints of the original first and second issues (I have 3rd and 2nd printings, respectively). But that's back burnered as a priority. So when I receive this order, i will have a complete set of Atomic Robo! Whoo hoo!!