atomic robo

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: atomic robo

Post by anarky »

Holy fuck and goddamn, you weren't kidding about the comic shop story. Bit of a bittersweet ending, but the rest of the story more than balanced it out. The digs at someone named "Rob" who did a progression of some sort of unfinished series with "blood" in the title was just icing.

"The Revenge of Dr. Dinosaur" was, well, any Dr. Dinosaur story is an instant classic.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Atomic Robo: Nuts & Bolts LIVE :: Free Comic Book Day ’09 & ’11

Live from HeroesCon 2013, it’s Atomic Robo Nuts & Bolts! That’s right – Brian, Scott, and Cap hosted an episode of Nuts and Bolts in front of a live crowd in Charlotte, NC for the first time. In this episode we discuss Dr. Dinosaur and his first two Free Comic Book Day appearances in 2009 and 2011. Why, you ask? That kooky lizard is getting some of the spotlight in Volume 8 of Atomic Robo: The Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur! …So we figured a primer was in order.

This is a momentous occasion! It’s the first time all three hosts have been in the same place together and we get to answer fans’ questions LIVE. (This also explains why it sounds like were in a gymnasium, there was a lot of slap-back in that tiny room.) Embark on a voyage into the strange! Including: Brian’s reoccurring time travel death dreams, the humor of cats, the Atomic Robo movie that never was, Jenkins history revealed, and of course… a terrifying look into the mind of Dr. Dinosaur.
http://nerdyshow.com/2013/07/atomic-rob ... day-09-11/
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Brian Clevenger talks about Cheesecake and the deliberate lack of it in Atomic Robo.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I find the most awesomest comic stuff in the least expected places. As y'all know, I've been reading some Hulk related books. Today, I was reading a bunch of tie-in books to the World War Hulks crossover. Not the first WWH event, but rather the second one with an 'S' on the end of Hulk. It was the culmination of Loeb's two year long Red Hulk story and at the end the bad guys bombarded a bunch of heroes with Gamma Rays over Washington DC. Which led to some short 2 issue tie in minis focusing on all the heroes who got "Hulked". One of the books was Thor vs Hulk(with a backup story featuring Cyclops vs Iceman). The other was Wolverine vs BuckyCap.

The backup story in Wolvie vs Cap is NextWave....written by Brian Clevinger! Are you fucking kidding me?? Is that even allowed? That much awesome shouldn't be allowed in comics. It's probably the only NextWave story NOT written by Warren Ellis. And it's one of the few stories Clevinger has written for Marvel(you could count them on one hand). What a delightful surprise. 8) :D
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

So, I went hunting for info on the fate of Robo (spoiler: Vol. 10 is in the works), and learned something that should be HUGE news but wasn't:

The entire series is online.

For. FREE.

:eek:
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The next series of Atomic Robo is coming out in September.

It's being published by IDW now.

Did Red 5 close shop? Or did they just take AR to IDW on their own. Robo was pretty much their flagship title.

Also IDW means multiple covers. Ugh. I hate missing out on AR but I don't want to buy 2 or 3 of each issue just for the covers.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

Red 5 appears to still be around. This can't not be a major blow to them.

To the AR guys, it means much, much more exposure. Which is very good for them.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

wait, what? last i heard, AR was going to be all-digital all the time.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I knew they'd be collecting the online comics into trades, but this is also the first I'd heard of floppies. Maybe they just figured they'd take the money from people who want to spend it to have a complete collection?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Maybe the Kickstarter they did had something to do with printing more floppies.

I'd be very sad if it had been digital only since I don't do digital.

Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

I probably have nothing really valid to add to this conversation but I read all the stuff online last night and was highly impressed. I'm not really a comics sort of guy as you know. I find superhero stuff too sprawling and confusing to follow. Really enjoyed losing sleep to read Atomic Robo though. The quiet pop culture references, smart dialogue, incredibly well thought through timeline and then that time jump to the old west totally blindsided me. Genius.
Hawking is a bastard. Hehehehe.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'm glad you took your first step into a larger world. ;)
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

Well I read 'Why Atomic Robo hates Dr. Dinosaur' a good while back. I'd just never committed to seeking any more out. With you saying there was free stuff to read I took the plunge. You can't ignore free stuff. Well, you can if it's shitty, but I knew AR was quality so...

I've sent the link to my other half. I told him it was science and 'splodey things. I have a feeling AR may be the first comic he gets into beside Cyanide and Happiness.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

In the letter column in the latest issue, BC answers a question as to AR's celebrity status in the fictional universe and he responded that yeah, Robo is a public figure and then went on to list stuff that's probably happened over the years.
He's been in a lot of gossip mags.
He probably had a Mr Wizard/Bill Nye type show in the 70s/80s.
Plenty of books written about him ranging from factual histories to wildly speculative conspiracy books.
There's probably been a movie ranging in quality somewhere between the 70s Capt America movies and Flash Gordon.
And a whole franchise of Atomic Robo video games in the style of Mega Man Legends.
And since he's the creator he said that's all canonical now. Boom. Lol.

This is why floppies rule.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As you know, I’m reading my ‘A’ box right now and I’m up to Atomic Robo’s Last 3 or 4 minis. I felt like there was a point between them leaving Red5 and starting at IDW where they were doing online comics and I didn’t know how many they had done and if or where they had been physically published. Anyway, I was looking at the fictional timeline on the atomic-robo.com website and there are “entries” labeled TOP SECRET which are basically the names of upcoming story arcs/mini series. Here’s a few of them

Set in 1973 - Diamonds are For Never
Set in 1985 - The Mirrorshade Overdrive
Set in 1993 - The Soldiers of Fortune

Fun stuff!