Transformers!

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Transformers!

Post by anarky »

Tom Foolery wrote:Yes but this time is different.

John. Barber.

The only way it would be more awesome is if it was James Roberts.
I have a bad feeling about this.

Art is fucking pathetic. Writing for both teams is mediocre at best. The translation crap takes up too much space and looks shitty. I'm sick to fucking death of the crossover trope of "Snake Eyes is totally normal until a Decepticon burns off his face" bullshit. And, really, "Jimmie Paige"? Not like the dude's one of the most famous guitarists ever and his name can easily be looked up or anything.

For all the people praising the art as "retro 80s," I want to beat them to death with a stack of George Perez comics.

The best I can hope for is Robots in Disguise not suffering from Barber spreading himself too thin. (And I have to wonder if Roberts is secretly co-writing RiD. This is a bigger discrepancy than the quality of Hama's Joe or Wolverine vs his Batman--and it's the same fucking characters!)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Holy shit, that looks like a really bad coloring book.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Methinks sir is being altogether too generous.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Wow. Yeah that looks like an April Fool's prank.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

I was looking at some TF and Joe boards, and it's fucking insane. People are apeshit over this; they honestly think this is how comics were in the 80s. I'm almost offended. And the art is supposedly "Kirby-esque." Fuck me. Maybe if Jack Kirby drank two gallons of moonshine, fell from a third-storey window and landed on his head, then burned both hands and suffered a massive stroke and drew this while bandaged and loaded on morphine in a hospital bed. Don't insult the motherfucking King. This guy's trying to ape his style, but has none of his substance; I'm not even sure he could tell you what "perspective" or "anatomy" are if his life depended upon it.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I take that halfway back. TF fans seem to be eating this up. Joe fans seem to have more normal human responses (like "I want to tear my eyes out" and "free is too much for this garbage").
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:I'm not even sure he could tell you what "perspective" or "anatomy" are if his life depended upon it.
illegitimate love-child of McFarlane and Liefeld what now?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

To RG1:

The more I muse on it, the more I think Primus is a sort of zombified version trying to resurrect itself. He died with Unicron in #75. He showed Hot Rod four "anomalies" that threatened the multiverse. One is the remnants of the Dark Matrix. Which I think if actually running the show here; it's the only surviving part of Primus' life force, and it's evil, and became so after resurrecting a dying being whose only purpose was death. It possessed Fort Max, who used a space bridge to get #2, Spike. Who was a Headmaster, and also sort of died and returned. Both are presumably going to transport to the Primus chamber, where #3, RoD Galvatron, already is. He represents one who died and resurrected, as well as links to the world from which Hot Rod Rodimus Prime obtained the Matrix, that universe's Primus' life force.

#4 is trickier, but probably as simple as Jhiaxus possessing the secrets of life and death. Which, due to the Underbase clearly still residing partly in his body, Starscream does as well. I have this crazy feeling Starscream will be the surprise hero.

Confusing, but plenty of clues to play with. And, with all the emphasis on death and rebirth, it explains why one cover for #100 shows Swoop and Kup fighting Optimus Prime, and another is Rodimus fighting the three separate bodies Optimus has had. Particularly if that nasty ass-whooping Fort Max dealt him was fatal.
Zaphod
knightrider
Location: CHESTER A. ARTHUR'S WIFE'S VAGINA... WITH THE VINEGAR, BABY!

Post by Zaphod »

anarky wrote:I have this crazy feeling Starscream will be the surprise hero.
not this time.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Izzat surprise Decepticon buttsecks?!
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

I've got to admit, I think it's funny as shit that Soundwave's just standing there, silently watching. I'm not sure if that was an intentional nod to the character or the drawer (I can't bring myself to use the word "artist" even if the guy, and we both know it's got to be a guy, has more technical skill than Rob Liefeld) just drew the most popular Decepticon he could there.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I posted this to FB, so all my aunts and my wife's coworkers, all of whom think I'm a loony anyway, will ignore it and think even more strongly that I'm insane and immature.
Tomorrow. "It's over... finished!" Almost thirty years ago, the first comic books I can remember purchasing were a shrinkwrapped set of Transformers #4-6 (most likely at a Richway's store, or possibly a K-Mart, in Charlotte). I bought a few comics sporadically over the next few years, but mostly read them in mall bookstores without paying for them. A few years later, when there were two bookstores in Valley View Mall in Roanoke that sometimes received and shelved their books on different days, allowing moochers like me to read two consecutive issues in a day, I happened to find both #56 and #57 (writer Simon Furman's first issues in the American series, though I didn't know that) at the same time. Something about those two issues made me want to actually put down the money for them, and beg my parents to take me to a local comic shop a few days later to get some of the back issues in between (and I was pleasantly surprised to discover comic shops got issues earlier than "regular" bookstores, and found #58 a month earlier than anticipated). It was on subsequent trips to B&D Comics (in their old Williamson Rd. location) and the late Dusty Corner Bookstore that I discovered that an awful lot more of those comic books on the other racks were just as good.
The original title ended abruptly with issue #80, but a different publisher (IDW) resurrected it with #81 (not counting a "recap" issue #80.5) to give Furman a chance to bring to a more proper conclusion the dangling plot threads of what had evolved to become a space opera rivaling even Star Wars, twenty-one years after the original cancellation.
Thanks to writers and artists like Furman, Bob Budiansky, Bill Mantlo, Andrew Wildman, Geoff Senior, Jose Delbo, Frank Springer, Nel Yomtov, Guido Guidi, Jim Lee (yes, THAT Jim Lee) and everyone else who approached a licensed comic based on a, frankly, gimmicky toyline as seriously as they would an assignment on X-Men or Batman, I have been an avid reader of comics for three decades. And I'm not the only one.
So, perhaps a better "Furmanism" to have quoted here would be "It never ends!"
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I usually hold off on reading the TFs in my weekly stack o' comics until the end. But this week I couldn't wait and read them first.
ReGenOne 100 was...I won't spoil it for you. I can't believe it's over. The Cover Gallery in the back was a superb touch. I got the homage cover. It felt...appropriate. Like everything came full circle. I loved Grimlock's line about having 'The Touch'. It made me sing a few bars. Then I read Wildman's farewell/thank you essay and wow...thirty years. Transformers have been a constant for 3/4ths of my life. Time flies.

The other TF book was RID 27. The penultimate Dark Cybertron issue and the one with the 'Death of a Hero'. It wasn't who I thought it would be. Well, we kinda played pros and cons on everyone on the list a while back and his name came up. But I had since prepared for it to be someone else. And it wasn't.
And then I thought it might be Autobot Prowl going out in a blaze of glory with his new pals the Constructicons. But considering the last couple issues, it made sense he'd be the one to go. RIP non-spoilery, non-specific Transformer.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky wrote:I can't link on my phone, but I saw Regeneration One #100 Cover B, and it is fucking glorious. No "#100 in a 4-issue miniseries," but even cooler.
Actually, they all had the "#100 in a 4 issue limited series" banners on the covers.
So, coupled with the Sienkiewicz homage, it's even better than glorious.

Except the cover price. Six fucking dollars!! Holy hell!

anarky

Post by anarky »

I whipped up this image of all the homages in the RG1 covers.
Attachments
rg1homages.jpg
rg1homages.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 3111 times