Sin City - (Because the Movie Thread isn't enough)

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Sin City - (Because the Movie Thread isn't enough)

Post by jjreason »

Here's my attempt at a complete list

"Sin City" - 12 piece arc from Dark Horse Presents 51-62. Recreated in Hardcover and TPB form. Deals with "Marv" (Mickey Rourke) from the movie.

"That Yellow Bastard" - 5 issue ltd. The story of Nancy (Jessica Alba) and Hartigan (Bruce Willis) from the movie. Also in HC and TPB.

"The Big Fat Kill" - 6 issue ltd. The story of Dwight (don't know who that was), the Old Town hookers (Rosario Dawson et al)and Rafferty (Benicio Del Toro) from the movie. TPB and HC as well.

"A Dame to Kill For" - 6 issue ltd. I haven't read this one. TPB and HC available.

"The Babe Wore Red and other Stories" - one shot. Don't have it.

"Lost, Lonely and Lethal" - 3 short stories: one is the two thugs Shlubb and Klump getting taught a little lesson for screwing up, two is the story of a former nazi getting found by a large angry Jew, three is Delia's inititation into the mob.

"Sex and Violence" - Delia working for the mob. She misidentifies a target in the first half of the book (what a way to go though) and then makes up for it in the second, shorter chapter.

"Just Another Saturday Night" - What happens after Marv leaves Kadie's (on the night of Hartigan's death)? Find out here. Marv finds a couple of frat boys having too much fun with a wino, and does his "civic duty".

"Sin City: Wizard 1/2 Edition" - The original format of the "Just Another Saturday Night" story. Frank Miller rules for reprinting this one and putting it out through normal distribution.

"Silent Night" - one shot. Don't have it.

"A Decade of Dark Horse #1" - Short story during which a guy tries to kill his gf's daddy. Bad decion...........

"Hell and Back" 9 issue ltd. Following up with Dwight and Miho.

"Family Values" Originally released in TPB form, 128pgs.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

the original "sin city" is now being called "sin city: the hard goodbye" according to the newly reprinted tpb's... and grasshopper's comics

http://www.grasshopperscomics.com/searc ... invid=1224

the best thing about this first story arc, is that it's like "marv's last stand" and whenever you see him from now on in other stories, you know he's invincible, because you know how his story ends. it's like marv is superman with a psychotic streak...
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Vyn, I just re-read a couple of things last night. About the Hard Goodbye, Miller was talking about it during a letters page - apparently it's a story about Marv and Nancy that occurrs after Hartigan's death? I'm pretty sure I haven't read that one????????
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i read that one (darkhorse 1 shot...) somewhere... where do i have that?! maybe it was reprinted...

hm... it sure looks like the original series was being called the hard goodnight... i'm going to have to look over it again...
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I got that from the letters page in "Lost, Lonely and Lethal", but I still haven't found any evidence of the story having been released anywhere.

My plan is to include synopses of "Family Values" and "Hell and Back" in the initial post of this thread once I've reread them.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I'm wondering, Vyn, if Miller's idea for a story he mentioned in LLL was "The Hard Goodbye" as opposed to the goodnight - would make sense as a title for a follow up story.

The newest versions of the TPBs showing up on ebay right now are numbered 1-7 and catch pretty much the run of what's been released to date:

1 - DHP 51-52 "The Hard Goodnight"
2 - "A Dame to Kill For"
3 - "The Big Fat Kill"
4 - "That Yellow Bastard"
5 - "Family Values"
6 - "Booze, Broads & Bullets"
9 - "Hell and Back"

Of note, I looked and looked and looked to see what volume 6 contained in it's entirety, here's what I could deduce:

Complete contents of the released One-Shots to date ("Silent Night", "The Babe Wore Red and Other Stories", "Lost Lonely and Lethal", "Sex and Violence", and "Just Another Saturday Night") plus some new art. One write-up I looked over said it contains 11 stories - the 5 One-Shots only have 10 in them by my count, and 9 if "Sex and Violence" is only one story.

Still trying to figure out what else would be in there, but the little blurb from the Decade of Dark Horse, and whatever the first appearance of Sin City was back in the 5th Anniversary DH Special might finish it off.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

probably the wizard 1/2
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Your're right, Vyn. I found out for sure that the "Just Another Saturday Night" one-shot is a reprint of the Wizard 1/2 with new covers. It's included in that TPB.