Big score........

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Big score........

Post by jjreason »

Man you are going to need a year to sort & read all that shit. And that's just this batch.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The idea of organizing and combining all my books puts me in the fetal position. I have 30-40 boxes of UNREAD comics. By the time I finish reading them all, I'll have forgotten what was in the stuff I read at the beginning.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I love working on that shit. If it was within a reasonable drive I would not hesitate in coming to help - I would love to see all of it. Fucking continent I tells ya.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I keep talking to my girlfriend about getting a house. So I can have a man cave in the basement to A. Store all my comics in one place, B. Display all (or most of) my toys and C. Not be paying for storage on all my comics and toys.
If and when that day comes, all y'all are invited to witness the splendor.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Sounds like it'll be the Rancho Obi-Wan of comics.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Big score........t

Post by Tom Foolery »

So, last year I bought a very used, hail damaged 2004 Toyota Camry. It's a 13+ year old car. And I've been driving it for almost a year. Last week on the way to work, I got pulled over and ticketed for having tinted windows. Why it wasn't a problem for the last 13 years, but all the sudden I'm a dangerous criminal I do not know. So I had to go get the tint removed which was an unexpected cost. And my court date is on the 18th and although I can show them the receipt of having the tint removed to avoid the ticket cost, I still have to pay the court costs, which we all know is like 90% of the "ticket".

Long story long, I didn't have extra money to buy a full box at the show today, so I only got 120 books for $48. Here's what I got.

A-Force 4-6. Still need 3, 7-10 of this short lived all estrogen Avengers comic.
Batman Jekyll and Hyde 4. Finished this mini, but this issue isn't in great condition. Not sure if I'll keep looking for a better copy or not.
Black Hood 10.
Black Lightning 6, 8, 11. Just need 7 and 13 from the 95 series.
Capt Marvel 5,6. From the not newest series. The one that just ended before the current one--FUCK YOUR RELAUNCHING BULLSHIT MARVEL. Also, 5 had a messed up cover, and I might've already had 6 because it was a CW2 tie in. To sum up; ugh.
Fox 1-4. The new Dark Circle series. Also found a bunch of variant covers.
Tales of GIJoe 1-2 and GIJoe Order of Battle 1-3. I had these already, but I do love me some classic Joe nostalgia.
Green Arrow 103 and Green Arrow 10, which I may already have.
A couple Grendel issues including Grendel Cycle, which is a rare prestige one shot that's sort of a recap/primer. Sadly, its cover is all scuffed so I want to find a better copy eventually.
Hangman 3.
Hulk2099 6. Just need issue 10. And a Punisher 2099 issue, and like nine Spidey issues and I'll be done with 2099.
Impulse 66. Just need 67 and 89. Two to go!
Justice League Task Force 15. Finished the series!
Legion of Super Heroes 92.
Vote Loki 3. I think I only need the 4th issue. Was this a mini? Not 100% sure, but i think it was.
OHOTMU Ultimate X-Men/Ultimates. Finally. Have had the Spidey/FF one for ten years but could never find this one. Done.
The Marvel 2015 calendar and a couple Marvel Legends poster book issues of Cap and Iron Man.
Night Thrasher 18. Finished the 90s series! And right after I typed that, I realized there's never been a non 90s Night Thrasher series. Even if he had a series that came out tomorrow, it would still be hella 90s. In any case, full run. Finished.
Nova 2, 3. Also from the not quite most recent series. Still need 5-8.
Power Pack 54, 55. Finished the original series finally. I have this quirk where I prefer Direct Market issues with Spidey's face in the upc box, but for some reason, I can never find the later issues if this series DM, so I got the newstand versions. If there are DM versions, they are extremely HTF.
A few issues of the various PP minis.
Rocket/Groot 10. The last issue of the not quite latest series. It was a CW2 tie in. Did you know Rocket got relaunched, cancelled and is getting relaunched again before the movie comes out? That's how epidemic this Marvel relaunching bullshit has become.
Sensational She Hulk 53. Just need 41, 55, and 60 for a full run.
Agents of SHIELD 5. From the most recent series. After they cancelled Mark Waid's fun series, to make room for this one, which adhered more closely to the show, and then died after a mere ten issues.
Spider-Man Friends and Enemies 3.
Spidey 6. From the recently canceled 'flashback/retcon' series with a teenage Peter set in high school that I think they eventually decided wasn't in continuity after all.
Spider-Woman 13. Finished the late 90s Mattie Franklin run.
A few Star Wars issues.
A couple Stormwatch:Team Achilles issues.
Superboy and The Ravers 3-5, 8. Only five issues to go.
Tomb Raider 13.
Some Transformers books.
Unwritten 32.5, 33, 37-41 and Unwritten Apocalypse 8,9,11. Finished Apocalypse and only five issues to go from the main series.
Witchblade 11-13, 15-20.
X-Men'92 1-2.
And as always, about 30 DC/Nu52 books.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

FCBD 2017!! Hit up two stores.

Store 1 got a short box filled with 204 comics for $35.

Amazing Spidey:Spider(Fly) Effect 1-3. Complete mini co-starring Silk.
American Vampire Cycle2 1. 4 issues to go from Cycle 2. 20 to go from the first series
Barb Wire 3,4,8. 8 is all scuffed, so I'll need to find a better copy. 3 issues to go from last years relaunch.
Capt America 1 variant cover. Lord knows which series though.
Capt Marvel 2-4, 9. From the almost newest series that ended with CW2. 4 issues to go.
Danger Girl 1-7. The entire original series.
Danger Girl Preview.
Danger Girl Dangerous Collection 1-3.
Danger Girl Chase 1-4, 2-4 variants.
Danger Girl Mayday 1-4, 2-3 variants.
Danger Girl and the Army of Darkness 1-6. Pretty much finished off my DG runs.
Dollhouse Epitaph one shot, 1-5, 1-5 variants, and 1 SDCC variant. Basically every Dollhouse issue ever. Finished.
Dawn 10th Anniversary one shot.
DCPresents GreenLantern Fear Itself, Faster Friends, Willworld. 3 books from a Giantsized reprint series from a few years ago.
Flash 237, 247-249. Old school Flash issues from the 70s.
A bunch of Franklin Richards Son of a Genius oneshots.
Glory 22, 33.
Green Lantern/Aliens 1-4. I needed one issue, but wasn't sure which one, so I got the whole mini.
Guardians:Rocket Racoon Tales from HalfWorld. One shot reprinting Rocket's original 80s series.
Illuminati 4,6,7. Just need issue 5.
Uncanny Inhumans 1(cosplay variant) 11-20, 1.MU, and two different Annual 1 covers. Just need issue 7. Otherwise, finished.
All New Inhumans. 5-11. Finished this companion series.
Miracleman Annual 1. Might've already this one.
Max Ride Final Flight 1-5. The final mini in the MF trilogy.
Nighthawk 2-6. Finished the series.
Power Man/Iron Fist 1 variant cover.
Rocket Racoon 1 variant cover.
Shanna the She Devil 2-4.
Spidey 9-11. Just need 2-5, 12.
Spider-Woman 4, 6-8,10-13, 15. Just need 14 and 16 from the most recent series.
Squadron Supreme 2-12. Just need 14 and 15 from the recent series.
Web Warriors 4,5,7-10. Finished the recent series.
Wolverine 145. A HTF issue from his first ongoing. They had like 7 copies. I wanted to grab them all for trade bait. It's the issue where he got his adamantium back. Only 5 more issues to find from that series and 19 more Wolvie issues total.
Worlds Finest 232. An issue from 1975.
X-Men Advs 2. An early TPB from the 90s.
All New X-Men 17,18. The IvsX crossover issues. Not sure how many issues I still need. I was very lax with this series.
And, as always, 52 DC issues.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

At store 3, (see FCBD topic for Store 2's explosion story) I got 186 books for $100.
152 of them were DC/Nu52 books. Here's what wasn't.

A-Force 3,6,7,9,10. Just need issue 8.
Capt America White 4,5. Just need issue 6 of the Waid/Sale mini.
Capt Marvel 12. From the...one of her many series.
Elektra 10. Finished her last series.
A Dark Tower issue.
Guardians of Infinity 8.
Hawkeye 5. Shit. Needed the other Hawkeye 5. Fuck you, Marvel. This is why collecting your back issues now sucks ass.
Infinity Entity 4. The conclusion of a mini that ends with a 'to be continued' in an OGN. Yeah, thanks Marvel. Dickweeds.
Karnak 3. So I thought it was one of those distressed covers. Turns out it had some junk smeared on it. Couldn't tell the difference until after I bought it.
Spidey 7,8.
Storm 8. Finished her series.
Über, 4,5,7,24,25. Making slow progress on this series.
Web Warriors 2-10. Finished the series. Accidentally doubled up on a bunch of issues between both stores today. Oh well.
X-Men92 9.
X-Men Worst X-Man Ever 2.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Even the trades are fucked because of the numbering. I bought what I thought was the first arc of Runaways, only to find out later it's the 5th - 1st of the second series.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Allegedly, Marvel is having another event later in the year called "Legacy" which is their version of Rebirth where all the original heroes are getting their rightful places back in the spotlight. And part of that is that they're going back to original numbering on many of the books, with explanations on how they got to that number. Who knows how long that will stick.

My solution is and always has been, dual numbers. Giant sss #1 on the cover where ever and when ever you feel the need to "relaunch" a series for the 80th time. Small unobtrusive legacy number in the corner for the long time collectors. But what do I know.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Anything they try doesn't seem to be working. There was an article recently about how 0 (ZERO) Marvel titles sold 50k copies either last month or the month before. That's including Star Wars, Uncanny X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man. DC had numerous relaunch titles over the 50k mark, we're talking seriously low sales by history's standards. I'll find the article, the guy basically said no one gives a fuck about a LINE of comics, they just want to read a comic (and he used Saga as the example) and said what's been said here 9000+ times: fewer, better comics.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

You got me interested in checking to see what I had, Wolvie-wise (and to be honest stirred a desire to see if I had the Millar "Old Man Logan" debut issues from a few years ago). Sadly I'm not as close to complete as I would have hoped. Volume 1 I have 1-189 complete, but can't find 190-212 anywhere - I must have just stopped buying the book? Can't recall ever cancelling Wolverine back then, but it's possible.....

I then pick up again at Rucka #1 and carry that through Civil War til around issue 55 or so, then stopped buying again - just in time to miss OMLogan starting at 66. Ah well. I have the full Way Origins series, but jumped off at the title switch & have none of Dark Wolverine (which was Daken anyhow, not Logan, right?).

Then I have the first few Wolverine & The X-Men from Regenesis, but I DO remember cancelling back then & having to tell the store owner 3 times I was done with X-Men before he actually believed me. I bought the arc leading up to Death of Wolverine & the Limited series, then Old Man Logan for Secret Wars and kept up until now with Lemire's current series. I'll jump off & go to trade waiting after 25.

Looking through them, I have basically no desire to fill this in, other than volume 1 & Marvel Comics Presents, which I do not have much of. That would be cool to go back & get.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

189 was the final issue of the first ongoing. Rucka's #1 would've retroactively been 190.
That series went up to 74, before being renamed Dark Wolverine and starring Daren, which I think they didn't count overall as part of Logan's numbering.
That series lasted until issue 90(?) I think.
Wolverine:Origins went for 50 issues. But also didn't count in the original numbering.
Wolverine:Weapon X lasted 16 issues but DID count in the original numbering.
Then Jason Aaron's Wolverine from 2010 ran from 1-20 before reverting back to legacy numbering with 300 and going to 317.
Finally there were two short Paul Cornell series that last 12 and 13 issues in 2013,2014.
Then he died.

There have also been about a billion mini series and oneshots.

The sum total of the Wolvie books I am now missing(and there might be a few that I don't know about, but I'm 99% sure I've been thorough) are
1-5. Wolverine series 1; 146, 154, and 155. These are when Liefeld took over right after Logan got his admantium back. Also I have newsstand copies of 147 and 148, But I want Direct Market copies.
6-9. Wolverine vol2 67-69, and 72. Old Man Logan issues. Because I thought "oh hey this is stupid and comic shops will way over order this shit by Millar and McNiven and I'll just grab them for cheap later on." I've found a couple issues, but mostly still looking. Idiot.
10. Annual '99. Because that assclown Deadpool is in it and it's super HTF.
11. Wolverine:Origins 28. Because that assclown Deadpool is in it and it's super HTF; the sequel.
12-13. Wolverine 5 and 9. From the 2014 series. The one right before he died.
14-15. Wolverines 17 and 18. The weekly series starring all the Wolvie wannabes that was fallout from his death.
16. Son of Canada oneshot. Apparently only available in Canada. So if you ever see one, hook me up.
17. Wolverine MAX 6.
18. Wolverine First Class 15. From an out of continuity series spun off from X-Men First Class.
19. Marvel Universe vs Wolverine 4. Part of the 'vs' Trilogy that also had a Punisher mini and an Avengers mini, that was really just a Hawkeye series.
Not counting the OML ongoing which I only have a couple issues of, or the All New Wolvie series with Laura that I have all of. I figure I'll find a lump run in a year or two after it ends.

So,19 issues. Or 17 depending. 10 or more of which aren't super difficult to get, just waiting until they fall in my lap. The original OML issues, the Annual, the Origins issue, and that Canadian one shot are the ones I think will take awhile.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

You're doing awesome both with the collecting and keeping track - there is more Wolvie shit out there.....

Whew, I guess (for my volume 1). This is the page that told me it was 212 issues, but when you click it, it shows 189 then skips ahead to 300 which I don't have here anywhere. I'm happy I have that initial chunk complete.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Wolverine_Vol_2

Should have known something was wonky when they had Miller's 1-4 as vol1 and not a limited series - come on, people.

Next stop was my Avengers boxes - I was shocked at how many volumes they were listing. Turns out I'm not bad - I'll detail that later as I have to get to work. Dark Avengers vol 1, #1 is something I need to track down for a preview.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeh, the Avengers titles kinda 'roided out right around the first movie. I keep all the Avengers books in the A box, regardless of their adjective. So Pantsless Avengers, Incriminating Avengers, Jolly Avengers, etc all just get counted as Avengers. I try to keep them roughly in the order the first issues came out, or alphabetically if several books started at the same time. So waves of relaunches are all clumped together. But....Jesus, there's so many fucking Avengers books.

Not counting the original series, which I have uninterrupted from 226-402, but obviously huge gaps from the Silver Age, I think I'm missing roughly 10-20 Avengers issues. It depends on how wide you throw the net on what is and isn't an Avenger title.