Alan Moore

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Alan Moore

Post by Eternal Padawan »

What's up with that beard? Freaky.

Anyway, since there's a Frank Miller topic, I figured why not Al? He wrote the Watchmen after all. <i>Who watches the Watchmen?</i> Killer. I actually started this topic because a friend of mine lent me his TPBs of Top 10. Well, let me go back further. He recommended Top 10 to this girl I sorta see, and from there she started getting the Smax limited series, and I read that and wanted more, so she told him and he lent her the TPBs to lend to me.

I'm also a big fan of V for Vendetta.

So, discuss your fave Moore stuff.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I haven't read Watchmen for a loooooooooong time, and have been shopping for a TPB cheap on ebay. Looks like the issues may come cheaper, oddly enough. I started with Top 10, but missed a bunch of issues in the middle for some reason. I think the limited series coming out right now by ABC "Terra Somethingorotherra" might have something to do with that book as well. I have a few issues of Miracleman from Eclipse comics that are good, but I really need to fill in that set to discuss the whole story. McFarlane bought the rights to that character some time ago, so you'd think he'd be pumping out the reprints of these expensive issues, but nothing so far. Im wracking my brain, he did a lot on Swamp Thing I believe, but nothing I've read. I never read the other ABC titles (Promethea, Tom Strong, etc) either. He wrote Supreme (another Superman knock-off) for Valiant (was it? or another company, I can't remember) but again I didn't follow it. Something for image at one point as well, but I don't know if it was post Jim Lee WildCATS or what. What I have read I really like, maybe the original "high brow" comic writer.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Supreme? Leifeld had an ill concieved Supes knockoff by that name. Sort of a what if Superman was a hardass like Frank Castle. Did Moore end up writing that? Man, I can't see Al doing anything for Rob, unless it was to get close enough to kick him in the nutters.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Just ran it on mycomicshop.com. Alan Moore wrote the 6 issue Supreme: The Return for Liefeld's "Awesome" comics. Haven't seen too many books on the shelves with the "Awesome" imprint over the last 3 years.
jjreason

V For Vendetta

Post by jjreason »

Just checking to see if anyone else has been through this 10 issues series by Alan Moore. I just finished it for the first time. It's been in my "to read" pile for months, but the hype over the upcoming movie finally got me over the hump.

It's quite artistic (and not just a little verbose - each issue is well over 20 minutes worth of reading - 32 pages, no ads).

I'm assuming Ms. Portman is playing to role of Evey, explaining why she had her hair all cut off last year. I'll have to look around to see who's playing "V". The way this story shapes up, I'll be very interested to see how it looks on the screen.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I started reading this last night, and am now looking forward to the movie. The comic rocks hard, but I'm not quite far enough into it to get into any real discussion yet.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'd like to read it, but have never had the opportunity.

And Hugo Weaving is playing V.
Originally, James Purefoy started as V, but dropped out early during filming for some reason.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Between this and Watchmen, would it be going to far to say ALAN MOORE IS THE COOLEST EVR?
toad licker
bacon

Post by toad licker »

*hangs hed in shame* no but my freinds say its god I cant find it >:p
anarky

Post by anarky »

It recently went out of print for a few months, but a new edition just came out with "Now a major motion picture" printed across the top. That's the one I just got.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I just want to laugh and cry at the thought of Alan Moore and Rob Liefeld collaborating on ANYTHING.

Has anyone read Lost Girls? I want to read it because it's Moore, but the only thing anyone ever mentions when discussing it is the lesbian raunchfests between Wendy, Alice, and Dorothy. I don't want to look like a deviant asking about it in the comic shop.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Just finished reading the first volume of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and it was very good.

I remember seeing the original issues coming out and being turned off by the cover art - but don't let that fool you. The art inside is very good, and the story flows very nicely. It's about a group of ragtag heroes of England (including a very sinister and sociopathic Invisible Man, Captain Nemo, a drug -addled Allan Quartermaine, Dr Jekyll AND Mr. Hyde, and a lady whom I'll leave a mystery).

They're thrown together to deal with a menace in London, England near the end of the 1800s, of course there are a number of twists and turns along the way. 6 issues total, but I read the TPB.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

Based on the timing, I'll guess a certain Saucy Jacky is the menace?

I've been meaning to read that for a while. I finally, in the past couple of years, read Watchmen and V For Vendetta. The guy is a freaking god.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Believe it or not, Jack is not the key baddy! Any reader of Sherlock Holmes (which I'm not, admittedly) will recognize quite clearly who the baddy is at the first mention of "Doctor", but they had to hit me over the head with it.
"Something inside me....."
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Dr. MacGillicutty, the famed OB/GYN?
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie