NO! (Don't shoot me in the face! The Punisher Topic)

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: NO! (Don't shoot me in the face! The Punisher Topic)

Post by Tom Foolery »

"What the Hell Else Happened to Me?" is similarly the defacto Spidey topic.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

In my mind, the title of this thread will always be

*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Just saw that there will be a new 6 issue Punisher Max miniseries in 2014 by Ennis/Parlov called "The Platoon," which takes place before Born, where Frank is in his first tour in 'Nam with no combat experience.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I know it couldn't happen now, but I always wanted a story in The 'Nam with future Punisher and future Snake Eyes. What with Punny showing up several times, and the book being edited by the writer of Joe, and all.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I bet you could have Castle cross paths with a LRRP that had a quiet blond guy, an asian, a ginger, a streetwise black guy, and a couple other dudes who'll die and nobody will remember them, without actually giving them names (or even better, having them drop the name "Tommy" or "Wade" in there. "Lonzo" might be a bit too obvi.) and I bet smart readers would make the connection.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Okay, so the new Punisher series started today. It's not as good as Rucka's(obviously) but its not a train wreck ala Remender or the new Thunderbolts shit. I'm reining in my expectations, but so far it's okay.

But the one big problem I have is Frank is sitting in the diner next to the female cop ordering his bacon and eggs and whatnot, discussing glocks and shoulder holsters. And she's not batting an eye. Sorry, but Frank Castle's Rap Sheet is posted on every bulletin board in every goddamn police precinct in North Fucking America. In law enforcement circles he'a like the Beatles and Stalin and the Pope rolled into one. He's a fucking rockstar. He's killed like 8,000 people. Unless she is the absolute shittiest police officer in the entire history of cops, she'd recognize him right the fuck off. But apart from that, it was okay.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Could be she's sympathetic. There haven't been too many cops who seem to deep down agree with Frank, and you'd think there'd be more.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The way it's written, she is genuinely oblivious to his identity. Later in the book, she's assigned to clean up duty where Frank just killed 30+ bangers. Maybe they'll clear it up in a later issue that she was 'playing it cool' around him.

Also, still a mystery how Frank escaped Iron Man's underwater prison for one. That's starting to annoy me. It'd be hilarious if Murdock got him released on 8th Amendment grounds. Seeing as how Matt detests Castle and his methods, but loves the law more than he hates Frank.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Obviously the cop didn't recognize him because that wasn't The Punisher.
Frank ain't that chatty.
Ever.
Especially with cops.
And this Hank Moody-looking impostor has been in L.A. long enough to make friends and have idiotic military contacts?
Bullshit.

How many False-Franks are there in the 616 anyway?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

GARTH ENNIS' NEW PUNISHER STORY IS A PRE-SKULL PREQUEL
Garth Ennis has said his new Punisher story won't actually feature the Punisher, but it will still have Frank Castle.

Ennis has been working on the story for over a year and a half now. Word first came down in August 2013 that things were in "very early stages." Then in January last year, Ennis told CBR that he'd finished writing the tale and that his "Punisher MAX" collaborator Goran Parlov was coming on to draw it. On Saturday, Ennis finally revealed more details at London Super Comic-Con (via Bleeding Cool).

At a panel discussion with Avatar Press publisher William Chirstensen, Ennis said the series will be titled "The Platoon" and released under the Marvel MAX banner. According to Ennis, the story will follow Frank Castle on his first tour of duty in Vietnam. That means it will be way before he became The Punisher, so don't expect any giant white skulls on his body armor.

“So you were being sneaky; you’re just writing a war story, but calling it the Punisher?” asked Christensen. “Yup," was Ennis' reply.
anarky

Post by anarky »

MAX or 616 canon?

Or do either of those count anymore?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It'll probably be in continuity with Ennis other MAX stuff. Both Punisher and Nick Fury.

I wish he'd get to write his version of Frank's final story. It's bullshit they handed the book over to Jason Aaron and all he could think to do with the character was kill him off. That was Ennis' story to tell.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm assuming it's MAX also, especially with Parlov drawing it.

Aaron's MAX was him trying to do an Ennis story as an R-rated Marvel Knights book. At least Ennis' MAX felt like it was in the real world.

Ennis did his version of Frank's final story with The Punisher: The End, although that wasn't canon (at least I don't think so).
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Wow. What a shitty ending to a shitty Punisher series. Okay, it's not over yet, he's still got a "Secret Wars:Last Days" arc coming.

But the last pages of issue 18 were downright fucktarded. First off, I was right, she was oblivious to him being the Punisher that entire time. Second, my recollection may be spotty but does the arc of her character development jive with her becoming Frank's new 'super villain' ? Did I miss something?
Just awful shitty writing through and through.

I'm still missing 3 issues because I dropped the title after issue 5 and haven't found them all in the cheap bins yet.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

New Punisher series written by Becky Cloonan...and art by GODDAMIT Steve FUCKING Dillon :frus: :frus: :frus:

Also(totally unrelated to Punisher) the guy that wrote that abysmally shitty Star Wars:Aftermath book is writing a solo Hyperion series. Apparently I'm in the wrong line of work, because anyone can get a job writing now.