Cancelled!

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Cancelled!

Post by anarky »

How can they call it "All Star Western"? Isn't Gotham in New Jersey, according to the only official source that was ever put out by DC on the matter (The DC Atlas, or something)? I remember that, because I sorta figured Delaware until they said otherwise.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

It's their catch-all Western title that has backup stories of other DC Western heroes like El Diablo, Scalphunter, etc. And Hex isn't permanently stuck in Gotham(in fact, next issue he's in New Orleans). But compared to the previous series, it's subpar.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

As JJ has stated: No. New. Marvels.

While I haven't gone as far as to cut Marvel out entirely, I haven't felt the urge to be a completist on every damn title. Most of the new books I didn't bother picking up (Captain America, X-Men Legacy, etc) or I haven't bothered with after the first issue (Hulk, Iron Man, Uncanny Avengers, Thor, etc). And honestly, I'm not feeling strongly about the ones I'm still gonna collect (FF, F4, Avengers, X-Men, etc). The $4 price tag just doesnt seem like a sound investment for the amount of entertainment I'm getting.

I haven't dropped ALL the books yet, but I'm getting into that ambivalent area. The first time I seriously collected was eight years 1988-1995. Then there was an eight year break. This time it was from 2003-now. Which means I won't get the collecting bug again until around 2020.

Print comics might not be around by then. They'll have gone the way of passenger pigeons, EF Hutton, Twinkies, and Bajooka Joe Bubblegum.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

They could be cheap. They need advertising. And better distribution.

Trouble is, most comics come from two companies that are more interested in the IPs than the comics themselves. It makes no sense for books to be $4, then the collections be $15 (and discounted further on Amazon and other sites). Less sense for digital comics to cost the same as print comics.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

When you compare the entertainment you got from them in the mid 80s to the entertainment you get now, it's so totally different. Yes I'm old, but it has something to do with the comics too. If we looked at some of the Bullpen Bulletins from around the time Secret Wars was coming out, I'm telling you there would be at least 10 Marvel books on some of those lists that you would enjoy - even now - 50x more than what's currently being produced.

EDITED: Whether this link is accurate or not I'm not sure, but look at the awesomeness taking place in many of these series in 1984.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:1984
"Something inside me....."