if given the job of EIC, what would YOU do?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: if given the job of EIC, what would YOU do?

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I know its taboo(ish) to have politics in SuperHero Comics, but I think it would be fun to have Ben Grimm enter politics and run for Senator of New York. I think ultimately he'd lose, but it'd make for an interesting story.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

JJJ being the Mayor broached the subject so I'd say it's fair game for sure. He would have to retire - like really retire though. I for one would buy a series with him as governor, I think the comedy potential is nearly limitless. I would have actually much preferred Ben running for Governor than JJJ running for Mayor and winning. I still that was/is extremely hokey.
"Something inside me....."
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Hmmm...I don't know if I see Mayor JJJ as a "political" thing. More like JJJ has always swayed public opinion against Spidey and being Hizzoner takes that to the Nth degree. You never see Jonah dealing with city infrastructure problems or Mayor-y things. Only him using his clout and city resources against WebHead.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Holy shit, an established character running for Congress would be awesome.

Ben Grimm would be an obvious choice. It'd have to be someone not too young (so not Spidey), with no reason for large groups to hate him or her (Punisher is definitely out), public identity, easily-traced backstory.

Or a villain with a secret identity. Not Osborne; he's been done to fucking death.

How about Beast? They could start using "mutant" as an allegory for a real-life minority again.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Hmmm. Having it be a hero without a secret identity narrows the choices down quite a bit.
Steve Rogers for President has been done before, so no.
Tony Stark has too much baggage.
Is Hank Pym's identity public? No matter, he's a wife beater and ex-con.
As is Luke Cage.
Reed Richards could not give less of a fuck about politics.
Johnny Storm is too young/too immature.
Sue Storm might be interesting, but not as much as Ben. Nor as fun.
Clearly, Banner would have no shot.
Is Captain Marvel Photon's ID public? She might work.
Also Carol Danvers. She's got the 'recovering alcoholic' baggage, but a good campaign manager could spin that as making her more human.
Wonder Man is a Hollywood Star, but he's also made of energy. Polls show that freaks people out. Plus he recently went batshit nuts and attacked the Avengers on TV.
Hmmm...who else? Sam Wilson, the Falcon? I don't know who else. I have to brush up on my Super Heroes Identities.

Beast is an interesting choice. Of all the mutants, he's got the most credibility because of his longstanding Avenger-iness. And despite his off putting visage, he's very loquacious, witty, verbose, and self-deprecating. I think the more he spoke, the less people would have issue with his blue, furry, catness.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I just read Avengers 169(March'77). It was an 'inventory' issue written by Marv Wolfman right in the middle of Jim Shooter's epic Korvac Saga. In it, this rich industrialist, Jason Beere, attacks Avengers Mansion in a shoddy armored villain costume. He attacks Iron Man, Cap, and Black Panther who all easily defeat him. As he's about to die, he tells them he's planted 4 'Neutron Warheads' somewhere in Earth which will "obliterate all life on the planet" when Beere's heart stops. So Stark hooks Beere up to the same machine that kept him alive and the three heroes head to different parts of the globe and stop three of the bombs. (Iron Man hilariously invades the USSR without a thought. He's like Fuck Russia, I'm Iron Man!)
Anyway, in the end you find out the fourth bomb is the detonator mechanism and its attached to Beere's heart. So IM, Cap, and BP just decide to keep this dude on life support in the Avengers' basement!

What the fuck?! That's awesome! They dont tell the authorities, or the guys family, or anybody at his company(he's a CEO worth $200M). Nope. They just stuffed him in a closet. No due process. No trial. Nothing.

Anyway, my story idea is called. Avengers:The Trial. The guy's family or kids or whatever are fighting over the company, and since the guy technically never died, there's a lot of red tape and eventually they figure out the Avengers have been holding this guy for however long and demand his release and sue the Avengers. Plus, since he was 'detained' illegally or whatever, when Iron Man tries to explain that waking him up will cause a Neutron Bomb to go off killing everyone on Earth, it's deemed inadmissable evidence and gets suppressed!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

The Red Skull is Peter Parker's grandfather. Or, given the 'sliding timescale' dilemma, his great-grandfather. Johann Schmidt had his way with a skullery maid in war torn Germany. The young woman, Elsa Rhine, has a bastard daughter. They flee to the US (or perhaps Paris). The daughter grows up and meets US Soldier Elijah Parker. They get married and have two sons, Benjamin and Richard. Richard marries Mary Fitzgerald and has a son named Peter, who is raised by his brother Ben and his wife May.
Discuss.
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Batman ain't sounding so stupid now, is it?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I dunno. It makes more sense than any of the weirdness with Batman. Not saying I'm down with it, but it fits better since we know nothing (or practically nothing) of the Parkers prior to the generation before Peter.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I was trying to work Magneto in on Mary Parker's side of the family. And even though Mags has had like five children by four different mothers, it seemed a stretch that a Polish gypsy would ever get over to Ireland and schtup a Fitzgerald.

Even I'll admit the Red Skull thing is a bit Mark Millaresque. It popped into my head at 5:00 AM and I thought 'fuck it. I'll throw it out there.'
anarky

Post by anarky »

If they were to do it, it'd be best handled in a "Red Skull might be Peter's great-grandfather, but we can't prove it one way or the other."

Magneto wouldn't work; too big a chance that there'd be mutants in the family somewhere. Red Skull and Magneto somehow having a descendant in common is so fucking awesome, though, it's a shame they haven't done it yet.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Diabolical wrote:Batman ain't sounding so stupid now, is it?
No. Batman is definitely more stupid.

If Peter Parker found out he had a younger brother that Aunt May and Uncle Ben never thought to mention. And that brother turned out to be the head of a super secret cabal called the "Lords of the Flies" and had been bitten by a radioactive housefly at some point, then Marvel would be on roughly equivalent footing, stupidwise.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Also, his ancestor is immortal and impersonating his father to lead another secret society against him. He first met him when he died fighting Thanos and was sent back in time.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Better yet, Frank Castle defeats the Maggia (the fictional version of the Mafia is still called that in the MU, right?), and comes face-to-face with its leader: his little brother, Dominic Castiglione, who he never knew of the existence of, but who sent Maria a birthday card every year and she just never mentioned it. He learns Microchip (I'm assuming he's a good guy this week; the back-and-forth was confusing as hell) was meant to be Dominic's personal assassin before he met Frank. Also, Frank sets up Punisher Incorporated, so that homicidal vigilantes the world over can wear the famous skull on their shirt.

Then again, Frankencastle probably has that shit beat.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Is Micro still alive? I want to say Frank killed him again in the "In the Blood" mini. We all speculated that it was a red herring and wasn't really dead, but as he hasn't shown up yet, we'll go with him being still dead.

And there are still elements of the Maggia running around (I think Nefaria was the main Baddie in last years Moon Knight series) but for the most part, the mob is just the mob and they don't really differentiate anymore. No big loss.

Dominic Castiglione sounds badass though.