if given the job of EIC, what would YOU do?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: if given the job of EIC, what would YOU do?

Post by anarky »

Only why would he kill the All-New, All-Different X-Men? I love the idea, I'm just not seeing why the Canadian government would want to kill the X-Men. Also, didn't he flip out, hang with the Hudsons, then become (or re-take the name) Wolverine and fight Hulk on an early mission, meaning he was a free man with amnesia from the moment the readers first saw him in real life? Or has that been retconned all to hell and back six times?

What If Cable Never Joined the New Mutants? Everything is hunky-dory, because he doesn't turn a bunch of kids into a somewhat silly paramilitary group. Deadpool never shows up, because he wasn't sent to kill Cable and died when he slipped on a banana peel or some shit because fuck Deadpool. Gideon and his X-Ternals all die out on their own because fuck them too. The New Mutants are around to be the junior X-Men team and help out as needed, and they eventually join the senior team as new New Mutants (including all of what would otherwise be Generation X) rotate into the roster. With more, and more varied, mutants on the teams, the X-Men enjoy far more success. Cannonball eventually becomes President and crime becomes obsolete and all the supervillains retire and everyone lives happily ever after. All because fuck Deadpool.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Because everybody fears and hates mutants. It's kinda their schtick. Even Especially Canadians.

Deadpool only sucks when Daniel Way is writing him. If Joe Kelly is writing him, he's funny. Even Nicieza's DP was passable. The new guys aren't too bad either. And Zeb Wells does a decent job. Basically anyone but Way and Remender. And Liefeld.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Even if you take out the "fuck Deadpool" aspect, I think it would be funny as shit to have a book like that, one that ends with everything being totally perfect.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Sort of another Batman story which isn't fully fleshed out. A guy wants to murder someone else(his boss or his wife's boyfriend or his business partner. Whomever.) so he "leaks" that the victim is Batman's secret identity, and all of the Gotham underworld fall over themselves to kill the guy, and the murderer gets away scott free. Batman either stops the killing(or doesn't) and then has to backtrack and figure out who really killed the giy(or tried to) and why. Eh. Or something. Work in progress.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Just a quick X-Men related idea. A bunch of X-Men are saving the city and everybody is filming on their phones and somebody calls Gambit 'Remy' and the audio is kinda garbled so the news thinks they said "Rummy" on account of him throwing playing cards. And it sticks. So it'd be a running gag going forward where the public thinks Gambit's codename is Rummy. Or Gin Rummy.

anarky

Post by anarky »

I don't know if you were being a smartass, but that's a surprisingly cool idea.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It was more along the lines of seeing his reactions to it. Like the reporter saying "The giant monster is attacking downtown Seattle. And we now have word the mutant super heroes have arrived and are battling the creature! Yes. There's Wolverine. And Weather Witch. And Gin Rummy!"
And then Remy is all "Non! It's Gambit. Gambit!..." Which is funny because that name makes even less sense than Rummy. Iceman makes sense. Angel makes sense. Gambit is a stupid codename that has nothing to do with nothing. And if it kept happening, it'd be even funnier. Like an in-Universe Meme that's recurring. The other X-Men would start using it to push his buttons, etc.
The whole thing would be a sort of tongue in cheek meta-commentary on the stupidity of code names now that all the obvious ones have been taken.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

So I had this idea, based on a previous idea I had where there was a "missing" villain that got deleted during a time traveling adventure comes back looking for revenge and nobody has any idea who is/was. And to do mini series in the style of different eras of comics with this guy. I've posted that elsewhere but don't remember in which topic it's in.
So my new idea is there were a team of heroes that got sacrificed at the same time this bad guy did. Sorta like the Sentry everybody forgot them because they never existed. During some upcoming event they all return.

But the idea I had was to do an ongoing series of them, but use the Fibonacci sequence to number their book. So you'd get issues 1,2,3 like normal to set up the series. But then you'd start skipping issues to move them quickly up the timeline to the present. Now all the "missing" issues happened, complete with character progression and subplots being resolved, but you'd only get glimpses of them in the "sequence" issues. Kinda like if you only had certain back issues of a comic book that had been around forever. And the art style would keep pace with the book depending on when it "started". Also, with a specific start date, you could mesh it with what was happening in the Universe at that time, so there could be event tie-in issues and stuff.
You could even take it one step farther and have letters pages in the back of the books discussing non-sequence issues. And perhaps even let fans in on the action by writing letters about other issues and the best ones would get printed and that stuff would become "canon".

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

That would be kinda cool, other than your series getting cut off after like 4 issues, because series only go to 12-13 issues any more. :(
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I went back and matched up the 47 issues from Vol 1 and the 114 issues from Vol 2 as best I could, as well as the assorted one shots from the revival "series" from 2005 onward. A lot of the ideas below might have been tinkered with so the premise in other issues might be the seed of these ideas, but I only matched up the ones that were directly pulled from the list. But there's still quite a few ideas they never got around to.
Rollo Tomassi wrote:I was reading some old back issues of 'What If?' that I got this summer(yeah, my reading backlog is atrocious, like 13 longboxes) and in the back of issue 7 from 1977, they announce WI? Will be going Monthly and then literally give an entire letter column's worth of What If stories they plan on doing.

Now, some of them they got around to doing, but quite a few I don't think have been done yet! And quite a few more got done 'for real' down the road. It was quite interesting. Here they are. (assume What If... precedes all of the following)

Gwen Stacy hadn't died. (v1 #24)
Rick Jones had become the Hulk instead of Banner. (V1 #12)
Different heroes(Spidey, DD, Sub-Mariner) had formed the Avengers instead of Thor and Co.
Peter hadn't lost his extra arms. (V2 #42)
Thing married Alicia and they had a child.
Aunt May Died.
All Marvel's villains teamed up and fought all it's Heroes.
Tony Stark was never hit by shrapnel.
The Burglar killed Aunt May instead. (A 2005 oneshot)
Somebody besides Steve Rogers became Cap.
Jane Foster became immortal and married Thor.
the Inhumans were never discovered by the outside world.
Doc Ock married Aunt May.
General Ross was gamma rayed instead of Banner. (A 2005 oneshot)
The Bullpen got powers instead of the FF. (V1 #11)
Namor had conquered the surface.
1950s Heroes had formed a SuperTeam. (V1 #9)
Silver Surfer had not lost his powers.
Nova was a girl. (V1 #15)
Peter had been bitten by a radioactive Fly/Mosquito/ fillintheblank.
Magneto had gathered the X-Men together, not Prof X.
Someone besides Don Blake had found the Hammer. (hey! Great minds...!)
JJJameson became Spider-Man.
Howard the Duck was elected President in '76.
Dr. Strange was Dormammu's disciple, not Ancient One's. (V1 #18)
Watcher never interfered.
Cap died in WWII, and Bucky was frozen.
DD had his sight all along, or recovered it for good.
Cap was created in World War ONE.
FF had gone their separate ways, instead of forming a team.
Human fell into Howard the Duck's world.
The world knew Peter was Spider-Man.
DD told the world he was blind. (V1 #8)
Shang-Chi had followed in his father's footsteps. (V1 #16)
Cap and Bucky BOTH survived WWII. (V1 #5)
Spidey stopped the Burglar before he killed anyone. (V1 #19)
Avengers and FF formed one big team.
Howard the Duck joined the Avengers. Joined the FF.
Aunt May discovered Peter's secret.
Original Human Torch never died.
Banner and Rick Jones BOTH became Hulks.
WonderMan hadn't died. (V2 #5)
Iron Man had to wear armor all the time.
Peter's parents hadn't died and he was raised by them instead of Aunt May.
Ultron hadn't erased Torch's memory from Vision.
Johnny Storm married Crystal.
Spidey got married to Gwen in the past, or MJ in the present.
FF had become villains because of the cosmic rays.

Now, some of those have become irrelevant as ideas. And clearly 1977 was much more fascinated with Howard the Duck. I'd have to cross reference and edit the page to say which of those actually got turned into issues. I recognize a few. But still, quite a few of them are cool ideas still unwritten.

Discuss!

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Surfer 3 was awesome. Can't wait to see how this continues. Slott is so great here & really "gets" the character. I makes me kinda sad honestly because I can't seem to get in touch with his Peter Parker. :(

DD5 wrapped up the opening arc on a better note. Elektra starting next month.

EDITED: Wrong topic. :frus:
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

A dumb idea I’m surprised Marvel hasn’t gotten around to doing yet.

For whatever reason, Miles “The Jackal” Warren and Mr. Sinister get into a beef with each other.

You see where I’m going with this?

anarky

Post by anarky »

Ooooooh, shit. I get what you're genetically modifying here.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Alt universe; Peter Parker’s parents Richard and Mary are brutally gunned down in front of him.
Vowing revenge, he trains himself, physically and mentally to wage a one man war on crime.
Sitting in his father’s study, he sees a spider crawling along the window sill and says.
“Yes, Father. I shall become a Spider...”

Thus is born the Spider-Man.

anarky

Post by anarky »

That's...

...actually fucking brilliant in its simplicity and audacity.