GIJoe

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: GIJoe

Post by anarky »

Is that set in any existing universe?

At one point, IDW was crushing it on the licensed stuff, but they went to shit with Revolution and soon after cancelling the best goddamn book they could ever dream of making. ARAH is still around, but I'll be damned if I can get more excited than the "oh, that's a clever idea" initial response to TF/Ghostbusters, TF/Star Trek, or TF/Your Neighbor's Cat crossovers. And any TF reboot seems like a huge step backwards.

Also Jem is in a weird limbo, so I don't even know if that book even exists. Also I kinda think they have Atomic Robo, but their promotion of that book is such shit that I don't know.

But DON'T FUCK WITH HAMA, IDW!
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Rob Liefeld is doing a Snake-Eyes series.

After the past couple of truly heinous GIJoe minis and “ongoings” this is actually something I’m semi excited for
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I have no idea what to think. Are either of the idw or marvel arah snake eyes still alive?
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

There's two in Marvel. Three, counting the dead one.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Does the writing make up for the artwork on Sierra Muerte?

Trying to decide if I should get the paperback or not. I'm honestly more interested in the essays (which will probably wind up sucking) than the main feature.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Did you know there was a new GIJoe series?

Because I didn’t until I saw it on the rack today. Way to promote your licenses IDW.

Anyway, Cobra has taken over. The Joes are an underground resistance guerrilla force recruiting civilians to be their operatives( I can’t tell if Roadblock and Shipwreck are new civilians or one of the few remaining actual Joes). Duke is executed by Major Bludd in the opening pages and Scarlet recruits “Tiger” after he witnessed the killing. At the end General Hawk announces the US has surrendered to Cobra and they are to stand down against Cobra Command.

The art was pretty average. The storyline seems gimmicky and not very Joe-ish. Apparently Hama is the only writer that ‘gets’ GIJoe.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

I knew it was coming. They've been pushing it on FB, but that's apparently the only place.

IDW really does suck at promoting stuff.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I didn't realize this was announced two whole years ago until I saw Tom's comment above.

I'm dying to know the context of this image. Who is the red guy, and why is Snake Eyes trying to console him? I'm thinking the red guy's dog just got ran over and he's sad.
20210707_154748.jpg
20210707_154748.jpg (442.32 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I read thru the first issue when it came out a few months ago. It was pretty blah, but not terrible. Lots of unnecessary Liefeld splash pages so he has to do less story.
Haven’t read the other issues yet.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Finally getting around to reading that Liefeld Snake-Eyes mini( posted in the other topic) In the back of the book, they had images of all the variant covers. I saw this one, and almost immediately looked for it on ebay. Paid $25 + $5 shipping. It’s going on the wall.
Attachments
C53B2694-6C22-4C6E-8F20-5CBA565C2741.jpeg
C53B2694-6C22-4C6E-8F20-5CBA565C2741.jpeg (85.44 KiB) Viewed 703 times

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Awesome cover. I am still humming & hawing about getting the hexagram tattoo on the back of my left forearm in black - I know that's wrong for a variety of reasons but I think it would look cool.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

An old coworker has that on his forearm.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I keep telling my fiancé if I ever get a tattoo, it’ll be the arishikage symbol on my forearm. I feel like getting it done back in the 80s or 90s would’ve been a cooler/more obscure tat that only a few people would recognize. Nowadays, not so much.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Slightly off-topic, it bugs the shit out of me that most modern Snake Eyes figures and images have the hexagram fully visible on his sword and the outside of his suit.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As IDW wraps up its licensing deal for Joe and TF, they’ve been putting out these $8 jumbo size ‘Best of’ books. The Snake-Eyes issue was a dud. I’ve read plenty of Joe books and the ones they picked for Snake were NOT his best of.

The Stormshadow one came out last week. Marginally better selection, but still not what I would consider his definitive best issues.