GIJoe

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: GIJoe

Post by anarky »

Looking at the March solicits, one thing jumps way the hell out:

Will Larry Hama actually kill off "the real" Snake Eyes?

Given that the story is called "The Death of Snake Eyes, Part 1," I wonder if this is a sort of jab at "The Death of Wolverine" being telegraphed and hyped. As much as I love SE, particularly by Hama, I hope this isn't a gimmick. Though I'd be fine with a sort of ripoff of "The Death of Optimus Prime" where the anonymous one is gravely wounded or something and retires to the High Sierras forever. A title like that almost requires we never see a silent guy in black with an Uzi and sword again.

The Marvel Joeverse without Snake Eyes would be especially interesting, since everyone and their brother is on the Joe or Cobra team because of him (and those teams even exist because of him).
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm glad Hama is doing the "stunt" in ARAH rather than them doing it in the 'modern' series.
I feel like that story is inevitable from a hype/sales standpoint and it's better the father of GIJoe tells it his way rather than some other writer.

That said, I don't see it being permanent.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky will be happy to hear that his least favorite girl-ninja assassin faces off against Stormshadow in SE:Agent of Cobra 4...and doesn't make it. She went out like a champ though.

Why the hell isn't Costa writing the main series? He's the only one who's had a handle on the concept for a few years now.
Eh. Maybe he'll do the inevitable reboot after this current series crashes and burns.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

At this point, they honestly should just give up. There have been so many reboots, so many major inconsistencies, it would take a Joe version of James Roberts to save this mess. Dr. Mindbender fucking discovered time travel, dammit; how the hell do they just gloss that shit over?

Maybe dump it all, and make the main book a comic continuation of Renegades. Or just do a continuation of Renegades anyway.

I'm worrying a bit that Hama is working toward an ending for the ARAH series. Serpentor's back, Joe is full-on science fiction, and Snake Eyes is either going to die or is starring in a storyline that's a meta commentary on the "Death of Wolverine" event. He even put the Transformers firmly back into Joe canon after trying to gloss over their crossovers multiple times. This isn't normal.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

It is normal, however, if you look at the industry wide attempts at killing the medium.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Snake Eyes is dead.
Long live Snake Eyes.

Should have seen that coming.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The Fall of GIJoe turned out to be a tad more meta than they planned.
The latest series ended prematurely today with issue 8.
There was a comment page at the end by the writer that explained she had planned a 12 issue arc but they only made it to 8 and the end had to severely reworked. And it's not really an ending at all.
This'll probably go down as one of the low points in Joe's history.
Considering GIJoe didn't really "fall" during the entire series. Marginalized in favor of whatever bs geopolitical storyline they were trying to tell, yes. But no falling of any kind.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Can't remember if I've said it here or not, but they need to kill the IDW Joeverse. The ARAH universe looks like it's spiralling; Hama's done some weird shit before, so I wouldn't count it out, but my hopes aren't high, either.

So for their flagship Joe title: fucking finish Renegades.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-preview-id ... -and-more/

New Joe writer talks up the new series. I don't know much about Sitterston other than he used to be an asst editor at Marvel for a long while. Haven't read any of his freelance stuff. But name dropping the sunbow cartoon as inspiration is a mark against the new book, as is the character designs having elite soldiers wearing sneakers and hightops and shit. VanLente tried that and it didn't fly. But going the other direction with that last writer killed the entire fucking line soooo...

We shall see.

anarky

Post by anarky »

True.

But you can't really have them in the same universe as TF, MASK, and Rom and not go more sci-fi. I'll give it a shot. Hell, we both know that even if it sucks I'll read it and bitch.

I really hope they give closure to Snake Eyes: Agent of Cobra.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm debating very hard whether I want to start getting the rest of the "Hasbroverse" books since I'll already be getting over half of them anyway.

anarky

Post by anarky »

I'll check out the first volume of each, at least. I have no idea about Micronauts other than that they're small, or how Rom will work outside the Marvel Universe.

Jem is actually good, though I don't think it's in the Hasbroverse.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Right now its(or will be) the three ongoing TFs; TAAO, Lost Light, and Optimus Prime
GIJoe
Action Man
Rom
Micronauts
and MASK

Some of those are already on issue 3 or 4, so I don't want to wait too long to decide.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Neal Adams exclusive cover at C2E2.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/13 ... 7451/#main

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

So I just read the first four issues of the GIJoe book, which has been labeled "The Crown Jewel of the Hasbro-verse" on account of Joe being their oldest property or whatever.
Not impressed. Sadly, the writer's knowledge of any military tactics or plotting seems to actually come from watching the old Sunbow cartoon. I knew we were in trouble when the Personnel bios on the very first page of issue one called Shipwreck- Naval Expert. Uhmmmm. What does that even mean?
The art looks like they had a contest on deviant art and picked the winner, but he wanted too much money, so they went with like the third or fourth best guy. It's very amateurish. To the point where in some panels I had to stare at it to figure out which character was which.
The only mildly interesting twist so far is that Skywarp is a member of GIJoe now.
The pendulum on each series seems to be swinging further and further every time, and the two headed beast trying to reconcile all the previous series is eating this franchise from the inside.
Obviously, I will continue to get it because sadly, I'm a lifer. But it's not good.

Yo Joe.