So what the hell else happened to me?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

Re: So what the hell else happened to me?

Post by vynsane »

i don't think the identity thing and the wedding happened on the same day. MJ never married pete, yes, but everything else happened the way it happened until the day mephisto did his mojo and then everyone forgot spidey's identity.

as for those things you've posited, they've actually dealt with a lot of that stuff. recently he had a team-up with the fantastic four and johnny got ticked that he doesn't know spidey's identity. pete finally acquiesced and everything came flooding back to them. he also revealed his identity in new avengers to the... new avengers... eddie brock is no longer joined to the symbiote, so it's only his memory now. mac gargan is venom, so, while he has a hatred of spider-man, it's not as much of a personal vendetta. the eddie venom was still the threat he was because it wasn't until mephisto did his thang that the identity thing happened.

i still think they could've pulled it off a bit better. my loki idea was the balls, i think: pete's on the run, wearing the black costume again because it blends into the shadows better than red and blue, not as an 'outward display of his emotional state' when yet another attack on his family ensues and both MJ and Aunt May are killed. desperate and distraught, pete cries out for any help he can get and loki appears. says 'remember, i owe you one... do you want me to make this all better?' pete says 'yes, fix this!' and loki says 'think... what decision did you make that caused this... that going back and changing will undo?' 'going public with my identity', spidey says. 'right' loki replies 'so, what is it that you want me to do?' 'make it so that i never revealed my identity to everyone' pete pleads. 'okay... but you know that thing about "be careful what you wish for"? that's not totally accurate' loki says. as he disappears into the shadows his voice echoes 'it's more like "be careful how you ask".

a swirl of smoke and fog and whatnot and we end up with pete alone in an apartment. he realizes that he never revealed his identity to ANYONE, not just that last thing during the ramp-up to the civil war, including MJ. and MJ never married him because she didn't know he was spider-man. basically the same exact outcome, but less of that hokey 'your marriage is so pure, it causes me great pleasure to ruin it' crap from mephisto.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

That would have been better, especially with Loki's favor never being brought up again. It seems like it was thrown together. Plus, if it's that Spidey never revealed himself, others (like Daredevil, Wolverine, and Venom--maybe even MJ, even if Spidey doesn't know about it, since she learned when she saw him in costume way back when) could know.

Of course, stupid me thinks May should've stayed dead years ago. To say she was a robot or whatever when she went out with so much class, man, that's just wrong. That scene with her and Pete on the Empire State Building, just before she died, is still one of the greatest scenes in Spidey history. Ditto on Norman Osborne. He may be the #1 heavy hitter right now, but it's just such a more fitting story when his hatred for Spidey destroyed him.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

At least the newspaper strip finally said "Fuck this Brand New Day shit! It was all a dream, Pete and MJ are still married!"
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
unlimitedpudding
sloth

Post by unlimitedpudding »

At some point, Spider-man put on a ton of weight while watching Disney movies on VHS. He tried to hide it by wearing the black uniform.

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re:

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Eternal Padawan wrote:The funny thing is, it lasted for like two years and I can't recall hardly anything about it. You have to realize Spidey had four titles at the time, so thats ALOT of comics. Almost 50 issues devoted to it. It was supposed to be like a limited thing, but it kept snowballing.

I'm pretty sure it's the reason Tom DeFalco doesn't work in the industry any longer....

( oh wait, he writes that Spider-Girl piece of shit that nobody ever buys)

It's the reason DeFalco is no longer EIC at Marvel....
By the way, this topic came up at another board and I researched it, The Clone Saga encompassed 124 issues including all the little tie-in mini series and one shots. And that's not counting the issues where Ben Reilly became Spidey fulltime afterwards...

124 fucking issues. It got so bad that one of Spidey's ongoing series actually gave up in the middle of the Clone Saga. Web of Spider-Man came into the Marvel offices one day and said 'I'm sorry. I can't go on with this shit. I'm done.' and promptly ceased being published.

True story.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I figure this is as good a topic to shanghai as any. Since my Punisher library is 99% complete ( I keep finding new series that he was in like a recent Astonishing Tales miniseries, and the Marvel Knights ongoing team books etc but essentially, that's almost done) and my next conquest, Daredevil, has gone quite a bit faster than I thought it would (aside from anything below 190 which obviously will take awhile, I have all the mini series and such except Battlin' Jack, Noir, a Batman Team-up from '97, and a *sigh* DD/Deadpool Annual from '97. Guess how much the fuckin' Deadpool is going for? I hate that guy!).

So now I've set my sights on Spider-Man. Damn, that boy has been in a LOT of damn comics.

First up, Amazing. I'm missing 25 and 28 of the second series. But before that I have to go all the way down to 267 and 266 to find the next issues I'm missing. Then 254, 251, 250, 249, 245, 244, etc. And those issues involve the first appearances of the Hobgoblin. So I ain't gettng' around to fillin' them holes anytime soon. Unless I remain patient and get lucky. Also need the Minus 1 "Flashback issue, and some annuals. But other than that, ASM is doing good.

Spectacular (the first series), I have 95 up to the end 266. 94 and below I have sporadic issues, but I find those where they appear. Also need the Minus 1 issue and the first few annuals, but that too is okay for now.

Web of I have a complete run of all 129 issues and the annuals. This series ended to make way for Sensational.

Spider-Man and later on PeterParker, Spider-Man, I am missing 88, 91, 98, and -1. This is the McFarlane series. It got rebooted after 98 with a new Number 1 (the same time ASM did in 1998) and ended with issue 57/155 to make way for Spectacular vol2. Still 4 left out of 156 is doing good I think.

Sensational Vol 1 I have about half of the 33 issues. Aslo need the Minus 1 and '96 Annual. This series followed Web of and ended when ASM and PPSM got rebooted. I believe Marvel eschewed a third ongoing reboot in favor of a continuous cycle of short Miniseries lasting three or four issues each. The early 2000s were thick with these minis and I'm only beginning to scratch the surface of hunting them down.

Spectacular vol2. only lasted 27 issues. I need 11 more to finish the series. Ended to make way for either MK or FN. Don't remember which.

Marvel Knights eventually morphed into Sensational vol2. I have a complete run. Friendly Neighborhood I also have a full run of. Both of these series ended/morphed into the thrice Monthly ASM book after One More Day.

Spider-Man Family was an anthology title that morphed out of the ASM Extra! Oneshots and itself was re-invented as the short lived Web of vol 2 ongoing. I don't have any of the 9 issues of Family, but I have a full run of the Web ofs.

Chapter One, Untold Tales, Webspinners, Tangled Web, Classics etc I have not begun to look for. All were ongoing that lasted a couple years each. Some were reprint books, some were not.

In addition, there are untold plethora of Oneshots and Miniseries. I seriously don't know where to begin. Everytime I have what I think is a fairly all enclusive list of what I'm looking for, another issue pops up on my radar that I don't recognize. I have a list of 20 oneshots, and 26 minis in various states of completion, but just last week I found two more oneshots that weren't on my list. To say I have half of the oneshot and minis published so far would be extremely generous.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Did you just not want to mention stuff like Marvel Team-Up?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Aw, I totally forgot MTU. That'll be one of those where if I come across a HUGE run of them for cheap, I'll dive in, but trying to collect 'em one at a time would just be a massive headache. Same reasoning for Marvel Tales.

I also forgot to mention both the Spider-Man Unlimited series. Or all three if you count the one based on the cartoon. Which I don't.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Do yourself a huge favor and pick up Untold Tales of Spidey when you can find the whole set for cheap - if you don't have it already. It's great.
"Something inside me....."
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

jjreason wrote:Do yourself a huge favor and pick up Untold Tales of Spidey when you can find the whole set for cheap - if you don't have it already. It's great.
Yeah, I mentioned elsewhere (maybe in the Big Score.. topic) that I had a line on a full run on ebay and my PC froze up on me at the exact wrong moment. Some other chump got the entire run for 9.99. But what was hilarious is that in the auction description the guy was going on about this series was the Bright Light in an otherwise crappy era for Spidey what with the Clone Saga happening in all the other titles. It was pretty funny.

Also, I just went to WallCrawlersWeb to see what his checklist looked like compared to mine, and I think I found two more oneshots to add to my list. One was a Kingpin issue and the other was 101 Ways to End the Clone Wars. I don't think I have either one, and they for sure weren't on my master list of books to find. See? These books are like fuckin' rabbits. More keep popping up everytime I turn around.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I can't remember if it was Untold Tales or Chapter One or The Early Years or what, but the Byrne retelling of his origin, I thought, was quite good. Most people apparently loathed it. I especially liked the whole thing about "condensing" the nuclear accidents, so that the "on-camera" explosion that melded Octavius's arms to his body was the same as the "off-camera" explosion that created the Sandman.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Chapter One was the Byrne maxi series that revamped and expanded his origin.

Untold Tales, I believe, was a kinda "stuff that happened" in between and around the early issues.

I think Early Years was an X-Men title that did the same thing.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

So I'm starting to read all these Spidey Books from when I originally dropped everything in 95/96. And I'm starting to figure out why I did. Aside from the neverending Clone Saga bullshit, it's fucking annoying to try and read ONE title at a time. Every book was crossover central with a storyarc starting in one title, then each subsequent chapter being in one of the other four Spidey books. They were essentially shanghai-ing everyone into buying a "Weekly" Spider-Man book. Since my Spectaculars are long filed away and my Sensationals are incomplete, I'm only reading the "Advantageous" Spider-Man title (as in "His Webs...Advantageous!" and trying to follow along is frustrating to say the least. If I didn't have a general sense of what was happening from a 'historical' standpoint (meaning, I generally know where all this Clone shit is heading and that Norman Osborn is the "secret" badguy behind it all.) But if you were only buying one Spidey book back in the day, you were basically fucked for getting entertainment out of it.

Plus, I want to know once and for all where this brat of theirs ended up. I noticed she kept getting brought up in the letter column well into the 2000s, even though the letter page responses would deftly sidestep the issue or often flatout ignore that part of the letter. And fuck Quesada and his retcon. First of all, Mephisto isn't powerful enough to "uncreate" somebody, even if Marvel Editorial wishes it were so. Second of all, he's the kind of ironic douchebag who would find it infinitely more entertaining to know that kid was still out there, whether his parents were aware of her existence or not. Especially after he made the point of letting them know she was alive right before he "retconned" her away. He is the self annointed prince of lies after all.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The baby being taken away and not dealt with post-haste is a shit show of epic proportions. You can't fuck with people that way and NOT expect backlash - some of us were already parents by the time that shit was going on.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

Never mind it really makes no sense to do the "deal with the devil" bullshit that will chase people away--and not just the Bible-thumpers; it's wrong for the hero to do that shit, period--so it can "appeal to kids," then immediately make the book less accessible for kids in every other way.

Plus, Spidey marrying Mary Jane was a happy ending of sorts for nerdy kids: the complete loser gets the supermodel, and she's not a moron. It was something to look forward to.