The current state of disarray at Marvel

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The current state of disarray at Marvel

Post by Tom Foolery »

It's okay. I knew what you meant.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

It's interesting to me that Marvel packed in all of those new 60s creations into so few books because they were limited by a distribution deal.... with DC. They were only allowed to put out X number of "super hero" comics per month, to avoid eating too big a chunk of Bat & Super sales. As soon as that agreement ended, they were ready to go & split most of their books into at least 2 titles.

Aside, very interesting article about Marvel's marketing to store owners heading into Legacy. A bit explainy, but for someone who has fantasized at times about being the cranky old store owner than doesn't show up at the store very often, and the nerds brag to each other about actually having met/knowing me - I found it intriguing.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-wi ... e-titanic/
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Tilting at Windmills is always a great read, but it's made me never want to open a comic book shop. Ever.

Kudos to all the LCS owners that walk that razor month in and month out every damn day, but no thank you. Too much stress.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

"There is only one way to make a small fortune selling comics - start with a large fortune." - unknown
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

What's stupid about that Marvel incentive program(well, one of the stupid things, it's ALL stupid) is that those "Retro Legacy" covers were the only ones Marvel was promoting the Event with. I thought they were gonna be like 1:1 ratio where you could get either the regular cover, or the homage one. I'm not even sure what the regular covers of ANY of the books look like. My LCS rarely buys into that "buy too many of the regular cover to get the incentive" bullshit.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I think I read something about there being NO regular covers - and that Marvel is giving percentages off based on orders of books leading up the special issues to help compensate. There are very few hard shifts in creative people too, meaning most of these books are going to continue on as they are currently.... causing some people to wonder exactly what the fuss is about, other than the covers & renumbering which don't fix anything.

I also read Legacy #1 is a 5.99 book, meaning it will be $9.99 up here. That will come very close to making it a pass for me since this is still my proposed exit point - well tapering off in earnest continuation point.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Eh, fucked up & posted in the wrong thread. So you get to read this meaningless edited post. Enjoy.

REEDITED - found the Cap infographic & included it in the post on page 29. The DID include All-New Cap 1-6, as per your suggestion, EP.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Secret Event has finally ended and Marvel has left yet another mess for themselves. Tell me, EP, that you don't think the special should have ended with Frank popping Hydra Cap for bamboozling him - now we've got the potential for more Bizarro Cap shenanigans which no one can possibly want.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:Secret Event has finally ended and Marvel has left yet another mess for themselves. Tell me, EP, that you don't think the special should have ended with Frank popping Hydra Cap for bamboozling him - now we've got the potential for more Bizarro Cap shenanigans which no one can possibly want.
I haven't read all of SE yet, but I did flip through the first few pages of Omega. Since I've been hearing mediocre to poor reviews, I wasn't much worried about spoilers. That feels like a cop out ending to me. I hate how shit gets "fixed" at the end of events. Makes the entire thing feel like bullshit. Repetitive bullshit. Welcome to comics. I'm feeling more and more like taking a break from most floppies and just getting like Transformers, Atomic Robo, Saga, and a few of the lower selling Marvel books that I don't feel like would be easy to find later on, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, etc. but just dropping everything else and taking a break again.

I just realized I've been collecting comics longer this second time around than I was the first time. First time was '88 to around '95. This time it's been 2002 until now.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The only Marvels I'm carrying over the break are Cap for 5, Thor for 5/6 and DD for 5. I'm itching to try & fill in my ASM latest volume and purchase the 11 issues up to 700, but I will be furious with myself if I get started.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Found a GotG infographic that looks legit so I included that one on page 29. The Punisher one I found did not, and Darkhawk appears to continue numbering from one previous series? I'm not even aware of that book. Power Pack & Not Brand Ecccch appear to continue the numbering from their only previous runs. Did not know either of those books was restarting.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

They are doing a bunch of oneshots that are "continuations" of previous series. I forget how many or which ones.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Ahhh ok. That would make more sense.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

They are continuing Tales of Suspense, starting with #100. It's going to feature Hawkeye & Winter Soldier investigating the Red Room following Nat's death. Sounds like it has potential. The other series I would be grabbing if I wasn't trying to reign myself in would be Johnny & Ben (Marvel Two in One) as that seems to be the likely place they'll set the stage for the FF return.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

People have speculated that they wouldn't have Jim Chueng doing art on Marvel2in1, if it wasn't a prelude to him doing art on a new FF book since he's one of their bigger artists.

We shall see.