The current state of disarray at Marvel

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: The current state of disarray at Marvel

Post by jjreason »

I'm just looking forward to seeing people smoking. ;)
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Oh shit! Hickman is coming back to Marvel! Rejoice!!!
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

He finished shield finally, not surprised he would choose to come back. Off to learn what he'll be writing.....
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

They’re being cryptic about it for now. Only this;

"When two aggressive species share the same environment, evolution demands adaptation or dominance.”

Conventional wisdom would suggest mutants, but I can’t see Marvel letting Rosenberg relaunch Uncanny and then give it to Hickman six months later.
I’m gonna guess Inhumans relaunch.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It would have been easy to guess X-Men vs Inhumans.... but they kinda just went there. And it wasn't all that shit hot.

Humans and Mutants almost for sure. A second X-Book? Are the Professor & Magneto alive or dead?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It IS X-Men. Two new books. House of X and Powers of X.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Trade waiting. As sad as that sounds.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Death’s Head is getting a new miniseries!!

About friggin’ time, yes?

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Started my journey through the silver age. I just finished the Sept '62 books in which I met both Donald Blake & Peter Parker for the first time. Silly, but I am having run reading them again (nothing in this initial batch I haven't read at least once before).

EDITED: Finishing up the first year with a "big" month of 5 issues: FF7, TTA (Ant-Man) 36, Hulk 4, JIM (Thor) 85 & ST (Human Torch/Thing) 101 - yes, before Dr Strange & Nick Fury ran roughshod through the pages of ST, it was the home of some pretty campy FF back-up stories.

- at this time we're in the midst of the 7 month gap between AF15 & ASM1. Let me tell you that the Ditko art in AF15 stands up extremely well against Kirby's many panels in the other books (Kirby, of course, is the king of tech & backdrops - but the Ditko people are CLEAN)

- the "style" is extremely consistent between the books; whether the universe building was truly a conscious effort this close to the beginning or not can be argued, but it always feels like you're visiting the same universe

- Hulk, clearly is the best ongoing book at this point. Not even close. Yes, I might be biased.

Books I've used during the journey so far:

Marvel Masterworks: Fantastic Four volume 1
Marvel Masterworks: Incredible Hulk volume 1
Marvel Epic Collection: Ant-Man/Giant Man volume 1
Marvel Epic Collection: Thor volume 1
Marvel Omnibus: Amazing Spider-Man volume 1
Marvel Complete Collection: Strange Tales Human Torch & The Thing
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

When I bought my books today, they had another one of those freeb “Marvel Universe” magazines that is inexplicably the wrong size and shape from anything else ever published. The last one was an X-Men centric issue. This one is for War of the Realms, Marvel’s big summer event that kicked off today.

It occurred to me, the people of Earth in the Marvel U must really be sick of Asgard’s shit at this point. How many recent events in the last ten years were because of some Asgardian bullshit? Not even counting the blizzard from Simonson’s run back in the 80’s.
Siege from 2010 happened because Asgard was floating above Broxton, OK and Norman Osborn’s SHIELD decided it was a threat.
Then in 2011, Fear Itself happened when the Red Skull unleashed some ancient Asgardian demons or something and they possessed a bunch of heroes/villains and destroyed Washington DC in the process.
Now Malekith has taken over every other Realm except Midgard and now he’s invading.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I hope this one is at least good - SIEGE certainly was not.

EDITED: On approach to what I'm calling the end of "Phase 1" of my Silver Age read through. Feb 63 is the LAST month of Hulk's too-short ongoing series & the last month before the start of Iron Man in Tales of Suspense and Amazing Spider-Man (yep, Tony's first appearance and the first issue of ASM came out together, cover date Mar 63).

What we've learned so far: FF has true comic book bad guys (Doom, Namor & Puppet Master) & the rest of the heroes are there to battle communism.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

6 months to go before the debuts of the X-Men & Avengers. I wound up getting a digital copy of Iron Man Epic Collection #1 during a comixology sale which will have to suffice until they reprint the paper version.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It’s always interesting to think about world events in terms of when these comics were first published.
For example, the end of WWII and the beginning of the Marvel Age were roughly 16 years apart.
That’s less time than the difference between us currently and, say, 9/11.
Cap coming out of the ice 15 years after he went in is significantly less outrageous/traumatic than the 65+ years in the MCU or the sliding timescale current Marvel version of Cap.
Or how Marvel mostly ignored Vietnam as it was happening, but it became a pretty significant part of Frank Castle’s backstory after the fact.

It would be pretty interesting to see a side by side comparison of the Marvel timeline next to real world timeline to see what influences were there and how they were distilled towards their core target audience.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Well without having to search too hard, fear & hatred of communism/commies/reds it at the core of many of the early stories, trending across pretty much all the books. From reading that FF essay a few months back I believe they'll walk toward fear of atomic destruction as the 60s progress, but I wouldn't say that particular aspect has been as heavy so far.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Awww...the solicits for August revealed in the Squirrel Girl solicit for issue 47 that the final issue will be 50.
Bummer. That book is super fun. Maybe it’s getting relaunched with a new #1. One can hope.