The current state of disarray at Marvel

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

Re: The current state of disarray at Marvel

Post by vynsane »

and the time before that it was milligan/allred's X-Statix (nee X-Force).
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

vynsane wrote:and the time before that it was milligan/allred's X-Statix (nee X-Force).
I have tracked down all those issues, but have not read them yet. It’s in one of my 60-70 unread long boxes.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I'm considering buying that complete run in the hardcover collected format, just for Allred's art.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

IDW has acquired a new license. They will be publishing...Marvel Comics.

Say what now??

Marvel has basically farmed out their non-continuity, younger reader line aka formerly known as ‘Marvel Adventures’ And/or ‘Marvel Age’ to IDW.
I guess they’ve been semi-successful with their Star Wars Adventures series, so Marvel gave them even more stuff.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Intriguing I suppose. Download the money losing venture to someone else.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Ugh - I just saw Jason Aaron & Russ Dauterman are doing the first big crossover event of 2019 - I'm going to have to stay strong if I don't want to get sucked back in.

https://www.marvel.com/war-of-the-realms
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Marvel got the rights back to do Conan comics.

So they decided to do a Conan led Avengers team called “Savage Avengers” with Wolverine, Elektra, Punisher, etc other assorted Marvel Bad Asses on the team.
I wish I was making that up, but I’m not.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Because The Punisher always works when he's on a team. /sarcasm
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Spider-Man/Deadpool is ending with issue 50 in May.

This leaves the books that haven’t been relaunched and therefore still getting put into my older boxes as Batman and Detective(which I will move over when ‘Tec hits 1000 and Batman is on whatever issue it’s on that month), Deathstroke, Game of Thrones, GIJoe:ARAH, Harley Quinn, Moon-Girl, Squirrel Girl, and the 2 ongoing Star Wars titles.

GoT is finite and will eventually end(It’s adapting Clash of Kong’s right now)
If they make it that far, DS, Moon Girl, and Squirrel Girl will all get switched after issue 50. They are all around issue 40 right now.
I don’t read HQ, and mostly get it for the Frank Cho variant covers, but I feel like it’ll get some kind of reboot after Heroes in Crisis and/or when her movie comes out next year.
Dr Aphra will probably end sooner than later.

GIJoe and Star Wars I’ll just let go until there is no more physical room in the older boxes.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Tom Foolery wrote:Marvel got the rights back to do Conan comics.

So they decided to do a Conan led Avengers team called “Savage Avengers” with Wolverine, Elektra, Punisher, etc other assorted Marvel Bad Asses on the team.
I wish I was making that up, but I’m not.
Savage Avengers will be Mike Deodato’s last work for Marvel for the foreseeable future. After 24 years, he’s leaving to do more creator owned stuff.
Bummer.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Kinda like JRJR, the scratchiness component has gotten a little out of hand. That being said, if there was only one Wolverine/Logan story left to tell, Deodato is my artist.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I've been picking away at acquiring reprints of the entire 60's Marvel super hero library so that I can read them in release order, up until Kirby left Marvel the first time after FF105. I'm actually getting kinda close in the acquisition department, which brings the realization that I can start reading soon (any time really) home to roost. Kinda daunting really.

At this point I can safely get through up to the first appearance of Tony Stark - I'm still missing a first Iron Man volume in all the formats somehow.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

By reprints are you talking Trades like Masterworks and Epic collections? Or floppie reprints like Classic X-Men and Marvel Tales with Spidey? Or is it a combo of the two.
Does that mean you’re going back and forth between lots of different TPBs as youre reading?

Which brings to mind an idea for Marvel to collect Trades of their early stuff in chronological order. Like May 1962 in one Trade, then June 1962, etc. so readers could experience the world unfolding “in real time”. After awhile, it would get to unwieldy, because that distributor restriction dropped off in ‘68 and it escalated from there. But I bet there’s a few people who’d collect the shit out of those.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I have the brunt of it in Epic Collection format - great value. I replaced a bunch of my Marvel Masterworks & have sold those to try & recoup a fraction of the cost. For things like X-Men & FF it didn't make sense to replace them - I have the entire X-Men run in softcover masterworks & am only missing 2 volumes to be done FF as well so I'll do MMW for those.

ASM, SHIELD & Dr Strange I have in "Omnibus" format - these are unwieldy big hardcover books that blow the art up to about 1.25x the original size. The omnibus editions are expensive but you get the letters pages & house ads which are nice. Sadly you don't get the other ads.

I will have to bounce book to book to read them in release order but I'm ok with that.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I’ve read some of those early issues in floppy reprints (Classic Avengers, Marvel Tales, etc) and they are hilariously outdated. Like, they aren’t inconsistent by any means, but it was clear they didn’t think they were laying the foundations of a modern mythology that was meant to hold up 60+ years of continuity. They were very much in “disposable entertainment” mode back then.
I think subsequent writers/editors like Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, etc did more to weave a solid continuity from all the “inconsistencies” of Stan and Jack and Steve’s idea bombs from that first decade.