Marvel Universe

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Marvel Universe

Post by anarky »

So, um, just going by Bendis' own past work, shouldn't Scarlet Witch be able to fix this shit in her sleep?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

If she can't Franklin Richards can. Not a big deal. Oh, and I'm taking a flyer on the Thanos thing. Hopefully it turns out to be better than this sounded.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

So, Iron Man was genetically engineered by an alien robot villain I've never heard of before.

Hokay. Let's see how long that change sticks around. :roll:
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah. I've already dropped the new NOW ongoing Iron Man book twice. The first arc didn't wow me so I dropped it. Then picked it up again around issue 6, but when I saw where that "Secret Origin" story was going, I dropped it a second time.

It's sad because Gillen's Young Avengers is fun and his Journey into Mystery was fan-phuqin-tastic. People are starting to mention it in the same breath as Gaiman's Sandman. It's that good. So this Iron Man is a letdown. It's Fraction all over again with Punisher on one end and Hawkeye on the other.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_ ... 1373044076

Um, is the "1993 called" joke too damned obvious? Holy fucking shit, that's ridiculous. Please tell me that's a joke cover of some sort and they really don't look like that.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Naw, he's doing that deliberate. Mark Brooks' covers have been clever for the series. The second issue looked like an action figure backboard. The 4th issue cover was a cut out doll with different outfits. An issue 5 was a Street Fighter menu screen homage. Too bad he's not doing interiors.

Here's the gallery so far.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Some books from the T-W box.

I finished off the 8 issue Torch series from 2010. It was one of those Alex Ross/Dynamite collaborations that Ross doesn't actually do anything on, aside from the covers.

I also filled in the few missing issues from the Weapon X ongoing from 2002. A rather dark series by Frank Tieri where the "protagonist" is a douche named Malcolm Colcord who reopens the Weapon X facility and "recruits" mutants like Sabertooth to be his ops team against mutants. It was a pretty good 28 issue series, but damn, dark.

Lastly, a four issue Vision series from 2002 by Geoff Johnss and Ivan Reis. Apparently Johns had no concept of Vision's history because the story centered around another creation of Phineas T. Horton called The Gremlin(the AI responsible for crashing jets during WWII. Get it? Yeah, I thought it was stupid too). Anyway, Vision teams up with a little kid and Horton's dim bulb partying granddaughter to stop the Gremlin. At one point, Horton leaves a lengthy hologram message to the Vision on how to defeat his "brother". Except Horton didn't know fuck all about the Vision, seeing as how Ultron built him decades after Horton kicked buckets. Fuck you, Geoff. Do a little reading first.

There's some Venom, War Machine, and M-Tech Warlock issues left in the box, but I want fuller runs before I read those. So for now, that box is finished.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Marvel NAOs are showing up in the overstock at the comic store, and he dumps those off for $1.50. I'm going to grab what I can get from Avengers, FF, etc in those bins I think just to spot a few issues here and there in case I ever decide to go back & fill them all in. Which I always do. :frus: :frus: :frus:
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Re-read of Miller Daredevil underway via the first 2 volumes of Visionaries TPBs I scored on ebay. I have never read all of these issues, and the ones that I have read were not always in order. It's almost to the point where you could release them as new stories today & have them hold up - only a very few clothing styles & dollar amounts seem off. Worth all the accolades & I'm just getting to Elektra's introduction now.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Finished both books - so that's DD 158-182. The change in the tone of the story when it switches to Miller being in complete story control is very noticeable. Numerous stylistic things happen that are direct foreshadowing of TDKR (series of almost identical panels for example, and the one bad guy he uses - too briefly - that looks identical to Gladiator is done very similar to the DK Mutant gang).

The combat panels are absolutely incredible, each and every one is just explosive. The 2 page culminating spread of the 2nd volume - Bullseye vs Elektra - is one of the best ever. I'll post it below - if you don't like spoilers or want to save it for your own read through, I understand.

Now, much like my last read through of Morrison X-Men - I'm stuck. I have to dig out the floppies & keep going, the Punisher has just started becoming involved..... and you might not be too surprised to hear that he's a nasty Punisher in Miller's hands. I believe I have about 10 issues to go before he left the book the first time.

Image Image
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

You are a true Gentleman for offering up a Spoiler Warning for what is surely one of the Top Ten most iconic comics panels in history. And one that happened over thirty years ago to boot. :lol:

anarky

Post by anarky »

He's still pissed that someone spoiled for him yesterday that (SPOILER WARNING!!) Romeo and Juliet kill themselves.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I know you fucking knobs know WHAT HAPPENS, I just didn't want you to see it for the first time out of context if you didn't want to. :lol:

And it just keeps going from there - she's crawling to DD's doorstep. :shock:
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

From the 'G-H-I' box.

Guardians of the Galaxy. A couple issues from near the end of the 90s run. Good god, Kevon West's art was atrocious. And an issue from the DnA 2008 series.

Hellcat. A 2008 mini by Kathryn Immonen and LaFuente. During the Initiative, Iron Man sends Patsy Walker to be Alaska's lone hero. While there, a bunch of old Inuit ladies send Patsy to find their 'kidnapped' daughter. There were polar bears with elk horns, a giant talking white wolf, and a stone totem that's also the girl's father. It was kinda weird, but I think I enjoyed it.

Hellstorm, Son of Satan. The MAX mini series from 2007. Daimon Hellstrom gets caught up in a power struggle between dear old dad and Egyptian gods Isis and Horus. Hellstorm has to find body parts of Horus' father Osiris. Specifically one body part (yes, Hellstorm is walking around with Osiris' penis for half the series.) Daimon ends up having to dupe both sides in order to maintain balance in the underworld between Satan and Seth. Pretty good stuff.

Heralds. A five issue mini from 2010. A surprise birthday party for Emma Frost is interrupted by a clone of Frankie Raye. The Nova Entity returns and eventually inhabits the body of a waitress from New Mexico. My only question is when did Emma Frost get pally with Hellcat, Monica Rambeau, Valkyrie, SheHulk, and Abigail Brand from SWORD. It just seems random they'd all be friends.

Hercules. The original mini from 1982. Zeus is pissed Herc wrecked his special birthday party, so he sends Herc out into space to learn humility. Lots of adventures ensue, Herc picks up a Recorder as a sidekick and eventually gets drunk with Galactus. Fun stuff from Bob Layton.

Hercules: Twilight of a God. A 2010 mini that's a follow up to the 1982 mini above and it's 1983 sequel. Layton is joined by Ron Lim. Set 75 years in the future, Herc and his descendants rule a galactic empire and Galactus explodes causing a universe destroying black hole. Herc sacrifices himself to save the universe.

Heroes Reborn:Doom. One of the oneshots after the Heroes returned to the main 616. It started out well enough, but once again Claremont's own wordiness gets in the way of a good story of Doom transforming the leftover HR Earth to his own ends. Doom as worldwide benefactor is an interesting twist.

Heroes for Hire. A couple issues from the 1998 Ostrander ongoing, as well as the Annual which had the finale of the Seige of Wundagore crossover with Quicksilver. Not bad. Not great, but better than what you'd assume coming out of late 90s Harras Marvel. I'm still missing that fucking Deadpool issue though.

Her-Oes. A 4 issue mini where Janet Van Dyne, Jen Walters, and Namora are all teenagers at a high school in some small town where Super Heroes live in secret. I think this was aimed at teenage girls or maybe the Marvel Adventures crowd.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

They're bringing back all the MarvelUK characters in an 8 issue series in January called Revolutionary War.

Who wouldn't be excited to see characters like Death's Head again? And Death'sHeadII. And DeathMetal. And DeathAngel. And DeathWreck. And Death³. And... :roll:

But not Wild Thing. That shit was awful.