Marvel Universe

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Marvel Universe

Post by Tom Foolery »

Its not the first time Murdock lived in San Fran.

The part that annoys me is there's an entire series about the trip from NYC to SF. Except it's digital ONLY. Fuck off, Marvel. If its in continuity, it should be on paper. I dont care if it's digital First, but making it only is shitty.

And a few minutes research shows there was an Iron Man, a Wolverine, and a Silver Surfer digital only series as well. WTF? Lick a toad's asshole Marvel.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Avengers 22: "YOU HAVE BEEN JUDGED." :shock:

2 more issues to read for Infinity, part 6 itself & the follow up New Avengers 12. I'll get to that shortly but wanted to let the last couple of issues sink in a bit. Pulse pounding, I believe the saying is.
"Something inside me....."
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

The next random box I picked was the 'A-B' box.

I started out with All Winners Squad: Band of Heroes which was an 8-issue mini series from 2011 that was unceremoniously cancelled after issue 5 with absolutely no wrap up or conclusion. It was the story of a bunch of Golden Age heroes during WWII in a special unit, many of them dying in the war. It was written by Paul Jenkins and now I'm miffed there's no ending because I want to know the secret of Operations Firefly and Alberta.

Next I read the two most recent Alpha Flight series. The first was the 12 ongoing from 2004. Walter Langowski recruits a new AF team after the original team goes missing including a new Major Mapleleaf, a rrrreally old black guy, Puck's illegitimate bartender daughter, Yukon Jack, and former Omega Flighter Nemesis. It was very light hearted. The first six issue arc had the new team find the original team in a Plodex spaceship buried in the snow along with 100,000 unhatched Plodex eggs. (Plodex is an alien race. Former AF member Marinna is Plodex). Eventually the original team leaves Earth and returns all the Plodex eggs back to the Plodex home world, leaving the new team to be Alpha Flight.
The next two issues were the team deciding whether they wanted to remain a team and they fight wax figures of every hero and villain in the Marvel U.
The final four issues had them going back in time to try and save Mac from his fate in the original AF 12, but each attempt just makes things worse. But Shaman fixes everything with Magic. However, the original team arrives from the past(which is different from the team that left for outer space).

Then a bunch of stuff happened in the Marvel U. X-Men event Messiah Complex created Michael Pointer who became Weapon Omega and Alpha Flight was killed off in New Avengers. Then an Omega Flight was formed for a short while and a five issue mini. Then Chaos War happened and the dead Flight was brought back in time for...

Alpha Flight. The 2012 series that spin out of Fear Itself. It was an 8 issue maxi that got upgraded to ongoing, then downgraded back to 8 issue maxi. In it a fascist govt party takes over Canada, secretly led by Master of the World(who was actually killed off many years ago by Carol Danvers in Avengers around 2002 and it's not explained how he's still alive) and Flight are considered terrorists and traitors, so they have to save their country and make things right. It was Greg Pak and Fred VanLente trying to restart AF with the "classic" team of Guardian, Vindicator, Shaman, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora, Sasquatch, and Puck. They also made Kara Killgrave a villain, which annoyed the shit out of me.

Except, this is the AF from the past who were killed and then came back. Presumably the REAL Alpha Flight is still out in space. Also if the AF came from the past before Mac ever originally died, then the ENTIRE original 130 issue series never happened. Nor did the 20 issue series from 1997. So that's just a giant continuity fuck that's being completely ignored. Thanks Scott Lobdell.

Since that series, Northstar married his boyfriend, and Flight briefly appeared in Hickman's Avengers series, but it was yet a different iteration of the team. So they're back in limbo for now. (Somebody is going to have to write an annual or oneshot clearing up the time traveling and the space traveling shit though).

I also read some Amazing Adventure issues which were just reprints of old X-Men issues from the 60s.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:I started out with All Winners Squad: Band of Heroes which was an 8-issue mini series from 2011 that was unceremoniously cancelled after issue 5 with absolutely no wrap up or conclusion.
Why cancel a limited series that's almost over? Was that "Bring Snigtad to Work Day"?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:
RoIIo Tomassi wrote:I started out with All Winners Squad: Band of Heroes which was an 8-issue mini series from 2011 that was unceremoniously cancelled after issue 5 with absolutely no wrap up or conclusion.
Why cancel a limited series that's almost over? Was that "Bring Snigtad to Work Day"?
IDW did the same thing back in 2004-2005 with a series called Lore, which pissed me off. At least they had the sense to put out a trade with the final issue (which I still don't have).
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

They had even solicited issues 6 and 7. But low sales killed it. And it was the pet project of an editor who was "downsized"(Fired!!) around that time.
I'd settle for a backup in another book to finish it off. It's just bad form to leave a storyline unfinished like that. And the series itself was pretty good. Basically all those old GA characters that only got a few issues of storylines back in the 40s was because they had died in combat over in Europe or the Pacific and Timely Comics didn't want to publish comics about dead guys as it was bad for morale and the war effort. A former hero called Young Avenger, now in his 90s is telling his granddaughter, a reporter, the story. And she goes to interview Captain America and there's a whole bunch of top secret stuff that she can't know about. So it's flopping between the present and the 40s. But we never get resolution.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

Remember there was that one Marvel book that was a really shitty 4-issue limited series, but it was popular, so they made it ongoing by the time #2 had hit stands (but didn't tell anyone unti #4 ended in a really dark cliffhanger), and then #5 was great, and it went on for years and the final issue said "#80 in a 4-issue limited series" on the cover?

In all seriousness, it would be fucking hilarious if RG1 #100 says "#80100 in a 4-issue limited series" across the top.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

More books from the 'A-B' box. Mostly Avengers related stuff. After this, everything left in the box is DC; Aquaman, Azrael, and LOTS of Batman. But here's the Marvel stuff.

Astonishing Tales 1-6. A 2009 anthology series that printed a bunch of digital-first stories. There were four stories in each book. Three of the stories were serialized and lasted the entire six issues. The fourth story in each issue was a one off, featuring a different character.
The three serialized stories were
Punisher/Wolverine. by CB Cebulski and Ken Rockafort art. Frank and Logan are in Madripoor trying to stop Hydra from weaponizing the Predator X creatures from Messiah CompleX. Tyger Tiger and Madame Hydra are also involved.
Iron Man 2020. Arno Stark has privatized Helicarrier technology as a high class resort vacation. An angry space pirate with a grudge attacks.
Cannonball and Sunspot. Written by Hickman(which explains why those two are Avengers now). Sam and Bobby go to Mojoworld and have to make eight feature films for Mojo in one month, or they become permanent slaves to the Mojoverse. Lots of humorous satire of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The six standalone stories were Iron Man, MODOK, Spider-Woman, Daredevil, Shiver, and Sabra.

Avengers. Just a couple random issies from 1983.

Avengers 1 1/2. A oneshot from 1999 by Roger Stern and Bruce Timm (aping Stan and Jack) that takes place between Avengers 1 and 2. Dr. Doom attacks and the newly formed Avengers stop him. Fun.

Avengers: Hotshots. A poster book from the late 90s.

Avengers Fairy Tales 2. I only have the 2nd issue of this four issue mini. This one is Hank Pym as Gepetto and Vision as the "boy" he creates.

Avengers Unplugged 2,3, and 5. Shortlived ongoing from 1995. Part of the 99 cents line of books. Typical mid 90s rubbish.

Avengers 1959. Missing a couple issues of this 2012 mini. But it's Chaykin writing and art, and Sabretooth was one of the pre-original Avengers. Both of those are unacceptable. eff Chaykin and his ginormous freaky jawlines.

A-Next 10 and Avengers Next 1. From DeFalco's MC2-niverse. The original series was from 1998. The follow up mini was in 2007, but I only have the first issue so far. Nothing spectacular in either series.

Avengers: The Origin 2. Joe Casey and Phil Noto took the first issue of Avengers and expanded and decompressed it into a five issue mini (at $4 an issue) in 2010. Finally found and read the issue I was missing.

Avengers: Domination Factor 2.4 Also finished this 8 part mini that crossed over the Avengers and the FF.

Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers Unleashed. Absolutely fun follow up to the equally fun original mini. Starring Lockjaw, Zabu, Lockheed, Redwing, Thor Frog, Ms. Lion, and Hairball(Speedball's cat) The PAs help a bunch of mythical creatures defend their home against invaders. Great fun. Your kids will love it and so will you.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

Original Sin is apparently about Captain America finding out the Illuminati erased his memory.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the deal with Identity Crisis? Not saying it's a knockoff, but it's tough to not wonder, particularly with Bats and Cap being sorta-but-not-quite analogous in their "more or less normal guy" roles in the best-known versions of the Justice League and Avengers?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The difference being that Cap's mindwipe was a previously established event of Hickman's meticulously plotted Avengers MegaArc (for previous examples of Hickman's long form awesomeness, see Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four/FF) by a previously established group and not just a retconned story point to drive an Event forward. Although, fair point, the Illuminati itself was retconned as having existed secretly far earlier in MU continuity than when they were first intro'd back in 2005.

Whereas the mindwipe in in Identity Crisis was first mentioned in IC and all the storylines that followed it required liberal retconning of many stories and characters across then DCU in order for the drama to work.

Also, with both Original Sin and IC, the mindwipe is only part of the plot, not the linchpin.

Fun fact! Marvel already had an Event called Original Sin. It was a crossover in Wolverine:Origins and X-Men Legacy where we found out Charles Xavier is the guy who wiped out all of Logan's memories right before he joined the X-Men. At Logan's request. But it retroactively made Xavier a gigantic dickhole for offering to help Logan try to regain his memories for the entire Claremont era. He basically just shined Logan on that entire time. "We'll figure this out together, buddy. I promise." It was YOU, you fucking asshole!! Charles Xavier is a magnificent douchemayor.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Tom Foolery wrote:Fun fact! Marvel already had an Event called Original Sin. It was a crossover in Wolverine:Origins and X-Men Legacy where we found out Charles Xavier is the guy who wiped out all of Logan's memories right before he joined the X-Men. At Logan's request. But it retroactively made Xavier a gigantic dickhole for offering to help Logan try to regain his memories for the entire Claremont era. He basically just shined Logan on that entire time. "We'll figure this out together, buddy. I promise." It was YOU, you fucking asshole!! Charles Xavier is a magnificent douchemayor.
I choose to ignore all the latter-day retconning that Charles was an asshole motherfucker.
anarky

Post by anarky »

How many Ghost Riders have there been? And how many are there now?

There's the Old West one.

Of course, there's Johnny Blaze.

Also of course, Danny Ketch.

Vengeance, who started as a villain and somehow became GR for a bit.

IIRC, Noble or something like that was supposedly Ketch's possessor but this was retconned, making him another GR.

Wasn't a female GR introduced just a year or so ago?

Now there's Jaime Reyes, because all Latinos in the MU are members of the extended Reyes family.

Also, I'm not against a new GR, a Mexican GR, or a GR who drives a car, but this guy looks more silly than scary.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Technically, Jason Aaron's GR series from 2005 established there are LOTS of Riders all over the world.

Alejandra was the female GR whose series only lasted like 10 issues. Then she turned evil.

And his name is Robbie Reyes. Jaime Reyes is the newest Blue Beetle.

And I kinda agree that the new GR's "skull" looks goofy. I think it's supposed to be some kind of variation of a racing helmet, but it's awkward. However, the issue itself was good. Trad Moore's art is cartoony, but very dynamic.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Tom Foolery wrote:Technically, Jason Aaron's GR series from 2005 established there are LOTS of Riders all over the world.
Kinda makes everyone retroactively a fucktard for assuming Ketch's Ghost Rider was the same as Blaze's. :lol:
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Marvel announced an ongoing Deathlok series for later this year. And miraculously, it's the Michael Collins version!
Of course, someone buzzkilled that by saying they'll probably "shock kill" him so they can wedge the TV version down our throats.

How many Deathloks have there been?

1. The original Luther Manning version. Later he grew his hair out and was protecting people living in the sewers of NYC. Not sure where he's at now.
2. Michael Collins.
3. Siege. John Kelly. The guy who was supposed to be the Collins version. I think he got killed by Marvel Zombies in one of the MZ minis.
4. The new one from Uncanny X-Force. Where the robot brain is the good guy and the human mind is the sociopath killer. Currently a teacher at the X-school.
5. The Marvel Knights version, which was a stand alone continuity.
6. DeathLocket. The teenage daughter of Harlan Ryker, the badguy that originally created Deathlok. She was in Arena and currently in Undercover.
7. The inevitable Mike Richards TV analog version making his way to the comics.
Did I miss any?

EDIT, I forgot the M-Tech version.
EDIT 2.0. I wiki'd Deathlok and the Manning version got picked up by SHIELD, then stolen by the Owl, mind wiped, and sent on a suicide mission in Bendis' Avengers run. I vaguely remember that, but didn't think that version was the original version. If so, what an anticlimactic way to go out. It was like a three page opening to that arc.
Last edited by Tom Foolery on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.