Marvel Universe

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Marvel Universe

Post by Eternal Padawan »

A companion thread to the X and DC topics. Here we can discuss all manner of Marvel heroes, be it Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther, Thunderbolts,Daredevil, Hulk, and even Spider-Man. I was gonna give Spidey his own topic, but since the only book worth reading is Amazing, that's only one book right?

So anyway.

I'm reading Amazing. JMS really gets Peter Parker. And then he tosses in the occasional super villain tussle to placate the Spider-Man fans out there. But it's infinitely more interesting to see Peter and MJ and Aunt May talking...

I'm reading Avengers. Right now, this book is what I could consider "classic" comic book story telling. Evil Mastermind. Threatening the world. A killer team line up. And great writing and art. In the 21st century ( and post 9/11) most comics are shying away from the old school and going the "quirky, dysfunctional" route with their heroes. Or the "grim and realistic" approach. That's why Avengers is a breath of fresh air. It's walking that fine line between serious and fun, intimate and epic.

I'm reading Hulk. I wish I wasn't. jjreason got me hooked on the excellent Abomination storyline drawn by Mike Deodato, and then I tracked down the previous runs by Stuart Immonen, and Lee Weeks. Excellent. Now we have retarded Fernandez art and a boring sidetrack story ( what happened to the secret conspiracy?) and unless this gets good in two months, I'm dropping it.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Ahhh...bless jj for that wonderful news about Deodato's return to Hulk.

I read they are starting Silver Surfer back up in the fall. After Marvel went into a nosedive under that fucker Bob Harrass and cancelled all their series and restarted an bunch of them, Silver Surfer was one of the casualties. I wasn't collecting at the time, I stopped with 99 the last time around so eventually I may go hunt down the last third of the run. So anyway, the new book looks interestring... But Ron Lim ain't doing the art. Isn't that blasphemous?
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Jesus EP, which super hero movie is that sig line from - but the ORIGINAL CHRISTOPHER REEVE SUPERMAN!!!!! Awesome flick! I love part II as well.

Yes, Deodato gets things back on track after issue 59 wraps the absorbing man interlude. Why would they decide to run that story right now? In the middle of everything? Must have been an artist conflict or something, and they had to go with a backup plan for a couple of months. I personally am not hating this most recent set as much as EP, but it's not as amazing as 34-54. They'll get back on that tip here shortly.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I love that Superman line! It might be the greatest movie line of all time. I'm not sure. But everytime I watch the movie, I can't help but walking around the house or work for the next few days, talking jive like the superfly black man from Superman....Say Jim! WHOOOO! But anyway....

I think Deodato is one 'er them thar artistes what takes a li'l extry time to do them purty pictures. Some guys just have a deadline problem. So I think they give him an extra space to do good rather than rush him and do mediocre.

So, I watched the Daredevil DVD, and the comic book documentary makes me want to go hunt down back issues now. Dammit. At least I'm dropping X-Treme X-Men from my list soon. Makes room for something else...
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

ooh. Anybody that can fill me in on what's going on in Daredevil? I got 40, 45, and 47, with a few more that will be easy to track down, but between 354 and now I could use some filling in...

When did Kingpin go down? I seem to remember a Fall of the Kingpin storyline, but he's been gone since then? Or did he come back and then fall again?

So besides Kingpin, Bullseye, Owl, and Mary, does DD have any villains anymore?

And who is this Jessica Jones? So she has her own book ( Alias) and she used to be a super hero. Which one? or just somebody they made up. By the way, I flipped thru it, and it seemed unessecary to have super heroes cussing like sailors.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Never mind. I just won an auction so I'll be able to play catch up all by myself...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :EOAB:US:6
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Now I have a real bug up my arse to catch up with all these JMS Spidey books. He is doing some killer writing. ebay here I come...
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

1602. Gaiman does a unique riff on the Marvel Universe. And the Origin team of Kubert and Isanove are back to help. Interesting is an understatement.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I was wondering if anyone else picked up 1602. Pretty cool stuff so far. How long is it supposed to be?
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Says Part 1 of 9 on the cover...
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I'll be down with that for sure, as long as we're not sold out. Same with that Supreme Marvel Max title, but I didn't want to have to fork for the dlx edition. Where's the regular ones? No where up here. Stupid stupid stupid.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

My guy sold out of the Supreme Power (totally underordered) but a frined in LA hooked me up with the DLX version. He said there's like two old Avenger stories in there and a bunch of sketches, so thats cool.

I also just won an entire JMS Amazing Spidey run for $65 on eBay. I rule.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

frined? Can I type? What the hell... Thats the past tense of the verb frine, today I frine, yesterday I frined. Anyway...

I just got all my DD funny books in the mail. Too fucking sweet. Man Withour Fear #1 was even signed by JRjr and Al Williamson. Bonus! Read the first Kevin Smith issue so far. Foggy was dating Liz Osborn? Huh? Wha? Huh? The Echo story looks even cooler than the Guardian Devil storyline. I'll be back with more thoughts when i read them all.

Between this and my JMS Spidey comics on the way, I am a happy camper ( without all that silly tent/bonfire/mosquito nonsense)!!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Dude, you just hit the jackpot. I honestly haven't kept up with DD (left off when David Mack started), but I started again with the current BMBendis "Hardcore" story and it's great. Typhoid Mary is awesome. Could the art be any better on this book? Perfect fit.

I've read the JMS Spideys as they've happened, my only gripe is the lack of even one classic villain. I really liked everything else, and will be sorry to see him go. Sprung for a 9.6 graded #30 signed by JRjr, as he's likely done more marvels-I've-read than any other artist I can think of. All those old and new Amazings, new Hulks, Old Uncannys, etc, Romita Jr. is the John Romita of this generation! :D
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

yeah, guardian devil was great, and echo WAS even better... i've been reading DD since the marvel knights relaunch, and the david mack/alex maleev has been AWESOME!!! i love maleev's art, and anything bendis writes is gold...

the whole JMS/JRjr AMS has been incredible! i love that i love spidey again! [ }8{ ]