X-Mutants ( The "all -things- X" topic)

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: X-Mutants ( The

Post by jjreason »

He designed the weapon that depowered her I believe. And Barry Windsor Smith came & drew the romantic interlude issues. I used to read every issue that came out back then like 3-4 times - but that was one of 2-3 books i would have been getting along with GI Joe & Alpha Flight.

"One of his earliest commissions is to design a weapon to detect the shape-shifting aliens known as the Dire Wraiths. Subsequently, Forge constructs a device capable of neutralizing mutant powers. Following orders from the President, Henry Peter Gyrich, an agent of the National Security Council, takes the device.[2] Forge protests because the device is untested and extremely dangerous to use. The device is used against Rogue, who was wanted for allegedly killing a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. However, the device instead removes the powers of her teammate, Storm.[3]"
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah, but they don't really "romantic interlude" in that BWS issue. They ogle each other and there's some pseudo-sexual tension. But then she finds out he built the gun that depowered her and is all "I'm a kill yoooo..." She'd only been at his pad for a day or two and she was recovering from the depowered thing. There wasn't any room for them to get to it.

I guess I'd have to go back and reread the later issues, but I always felt it was an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend thing with those two. And if this was the beginning of that then it most definitely was not.

Forge is another one of those characters where later on I'm surprised to discover I had like 99% of their appearances from the start. When you start collecting you always assume these are fully fleshed out characters when in fact you have his fourth appearance onward, and the first three aren't very interesting. Sabertooth is another one like that. I did some checking, and I was missing like his first seven appearances when he showed up in Mutant Massacre. And over half of those he's just a thug cohort to Constrictor. I thought all that drama between him and Wolverine had long been established and it hadn't.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Neither Wolverine nor Sabertooth was particularly menacing off the hop. I'm glad they found each other.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Old Man Logan #1 was much better than I was expecting. I found the Secret Wars series to be dead air pretty much and expected nothing of substance here - instead we got a pretty clear statement of purpose for this old version of Logan and some half decent action. I'll continue for now.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Marvel is doubling(or tripling) down on it's upcoming X-events.

First up,Death of X, which is presumably the story of how Cyclops died whilst attacking the Inhumans because their Terrigen mist cloud caused the M-pox disease.

After that it's IVX aka Inhumans vs X-Men(or a really convoluted and grammatically incorrect way of writing "4"??). Sorta like AvX from a few years ago, but y'know with Inhumans.

Finally, the fallout of IVX leads into RessurXion. Which is just...awful. A team of Marvel Editors were all sitting in a room brainstorming and THATS what they came up with? Ew. I keep pronouncing it re-ZERK-see-on.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Not redeemable, based on name alone. It could be the comic story of all comic stories & still suck goat anus - like X-Treme X-Men. You can't get over that hump. :(
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I thought Death of X ended on an interesting note. Hopefully the main Inhumans vs X-Men series has some interesting turns & twist like the last issue of this series did.

Bad Emma is better Emma, and it's been way too long.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:I thought Death of X ended on an interesting note. Hopefully the main Inhumans vs X-Men series has some interesting turns & twist like the last issue of this series did.

Bad Emma is better Emma, and it's been way too long.
I thought it was weak sauce. He went out like a bitch.
Charles Soule writing a big Marvel Event doesnt excite me. His writing's decent, but he doesn't do big "Holy shit!" Moments like Millar, Bendis, Hickman, and Slott do.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

He did, but the panel showing the fake death was fucking amazing - and Emma looking crazy has potential.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Somebody on imgur put together a great argument about why Death of X failed as a series.

https://imgur.com/a/pzAbl#hbyXYhs

I heartedly agree. Cyclops actions are nowhere close to making him the newest Marvel supervillain they were insinuating.

Post-IvX there are seven new X-Books coming out. Four team books;
X-Men Blue
X-Men Gold
Generation X
Weapon X

And 3 solo books;

Iceman
Jean Grey
Cable.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

"What Scott did" to me is taken as what Emma showed the world Scott did. He prepared to fire on Medusa & Black Bolt smoked him as a result. It's a pretty serious transgression and warrants those panels. Not sure what the issue is.... but that's fine. If folks hated it, folks hated it. I'm not going to buy 7 X-titles after the event, and based on that list I haven't a clue whether or not I'll even buy 1. Wait & see I guess.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah, he was aggressive towards the Inhuman Royal Family, but equating him with Hitler and all that? Not remotely.

Marvel seems to have a checklist, and this might be some publishing "use it or lose it" fine print, but if a character has ever had a published series, eventually they revisit that character.
So we are getting a new Generation X book because the "rights" are about to lapse.
It's why we got Solo, Prowler, and Slapstick ongoings that no one was really clamoring for.
I imagine Quasar, Darkhawk, and obscure characters like Nightmare and Typhoid Mary will be getting fresh series in the next couple years.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That "rule" has always baffled me. If a company creates a character, how can there possibly be a "timer" on the rights to it? Does it become part of the public domain after that for anyone's use? Is that the situation is with things like Tarzan & King Kong? Godzilla? I guess I need to do some research. And as far as tossing remote characters their own books that are doomed to fail, wouldn't a snide mention or even a silly cameo on one page cover off the usage thing???
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

So Extraordinary X-Men finished off a fairly big overarching story here with them ending their time in Limbo (seriously, Storm & Illyana had the entire school in Limbo, away from the poisonous Terrigen mists). This comic was pretty exciting, dealing with a big threat to them in that realm as well as Apocalypse having turned Colossus into one of the horsemen (again, right? This was like the 11th time?). Any time Wolverine, Colossus, Storm & Nightcrawler play a role in the same book, it's a lovely occasion.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Apparently there was some micro-controversy about the first issue of X-MenGold that came out last week. The artist added some graffiti in the background of one panel that was a reference to a quaran verse or something. Overly sensitive people's undies got bunched up in their cracks and the artist has been fired and banned from Marvel and they are going to change the art in future printings, Trades, and digital copies of the comic.
The artist apologized and accepted the fact his career is probably over with any of the major publishers.

I honestly wouldn't have known it was a reference to anything if it hadn't been brought up.