X-Mutants ( The "all -things- X" topic)

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

X-Mutants ( The "all -things- X" topic)

Post by Eternal Padawan »

Marvel's flagship family of books. Right now the roster includes:

<b>Uncanny X-Men </b>( The grand pappy of the X-books)
<b>(New) X-Men </b>( uhhhh...it's been a hundred+ issues, it's not "new" anymore...guys? Joe? Bill? Nevermind... (sigh)[roll])
<b><s>X-Treme</s>Claremont X-Men </b>( THAT has got to be the lamest, most five minute ago title in the history of comics.)
<b>Exiles </b>( or maybe that's eXiles?)
<b>X-Statix </b>( the wacky X title[roll] formerly X-Force)
<b>Soldier X </b>(formerly Cable)
<b>Agent X </b>( formerly Deadpool)
<b>Weapon X </b>( formerly uh....Alpha Flight...sorta)
<b>New Mutants </b>( WHAT?!?! No X in the title??)

and

<b>Wolverine </b>( although Wolverine seems to be in every team book also, so he's like a clone or he's septuplets or something)

Plus assorted limited series ( mostly with Wolverine again). Only small countries have big enough budgets to collect all the monthly x books, so I am limiting myself to:

Uncanny. All the X-Men hang around the school/mansion and get into love triangles ( some with underage girls)and don't really fight evil anymore. But Chuck Austen is a great writer. And it's Uncanny, so if you're only getting one X-Book a month it has to be the poppa book, right?

(New) X-Men. All the X-Men hang around the school/mansion and get into psychic love triangles and sometimes go into town and get piss drunk and don't really fight evil anymore. Also quite well written by Morrison.

New Mutants. An excellent series about new students coming into Xavier's ( where presumably, they will get into love triangles, get piss drunk, and learn how to avoid fighting evil).

Claremont X-Men. I'm only picking this up because it's the sequel to God Loves, Man Kills, but I'll probably drop it after the storyline since it's hokey and not classic like the original graphic novel. Sorely dissapointed in Chris' writing. Downhill is the appropriate word I think.

Feel free to chat about your favorite muties! ( You other two people who seem to come and post here...and aren't like rabid Striesand fans)
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Just picked up a short run of New X Men books.
(By the way, calling it New X Men doesn't bother me as much since I realized you can turn the logo upside down on the comic and it's the same logo. NEW turns into MEN and vice versa as long as you don't have the vertical line on the Es...but I digress...)

121-126. Starting with the 'Nuff Said issue. Solid reading thru and thru. "Moo." Damn that was funny. Now I need to find the conclusion.

I also got Uncanny 399 where they visit the X-Ranch and "recruit" Stacy-X. What's up with introducing cool mutants and then killing them a few pages later?
Jedi Knightrider 3000
sloth

Post by Jedi Knightrider 3000 »

that is one awesome piece of graphic design... i love that...

new x-men and x-statix are the only x titles that i collect, and i think they are both incredible!

the shit that they get away with in x-statix is great, and the fact that they changed the title so as to not have to pay liefeld royatly rights anymore is fantastic! if for no other reason than that, you should love this book!

and, i mean c'mon! nano sentinels??? how can new x-men NOT be awesome!!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Liefeld sucked, sucks and will forever suck. Todd McFarlane should lose sleep about crowing on about that piece of shit. Never mind me.

I love the X-books. I have a complete run of X-Men Unlimited that I'm trying to catch up on now that Im up to speed on the big 2. (Bachalo on New X-men, super good). X-Treme is X-Shitty, I don't think I'm going to fill it in right away. I only have issues 1, 3, then the sequel books to GLMK. None of it is interesting me - which is sad because the artist and characters do.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Wouldn't it be cool if Marc Silvestri came back and drew X-Men for awhile?

OH. WAIT. HE IS!

I can now officially spank myself into a coma of happiness. First the Redbird returns in Batman, then Wildman draws giant robots, and now this!

How can there be strife in the world when all this comic goodness is happening?
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Seriously, the only way life could be better is if I became Pope and Cameron Diaz kept calling me and begging to suck on my roman candle....
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I'm debating cancelling the X-titles. Why?

Claremont has gone downhill.

Austen is hit and miss. His stories are good, but there are some characters he just doesn't seem to grasp, and his "fill-ins" are lame.

New X-Men is great, but doesn't have the right feel.

I'm sick of Wolvie being omnipresent. And Warren being a pedophile.

And no friggin' spandex! Jeez!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

How old is Paige Guthrie supposed to be? Gotta be 18 by now I'd figure. If Emma Frost is only 27, Warren could be as young as 30? SO it's a little sick, but I've seen a few 18 year olds that have made my head spin, that's for sure.

I think I like New X BECAUSE it doesn't have the feel. New X doesn't give a shit - that's why it rocks.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

By my reckoning, Paige should be 16 or 17. Warren is going to jail where he'll be rodgered daily by the Blob.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I miss the spandex, too, but I've always felt that if any team was going to get up in the morning and just fight evil in whatever and not bother getting dressed, it was the X-Men.

The whole costume thing came about since we had to be able to tell these guys apart from one another. Kirby was king, sure, but everybodies faces looked the same. Nowadays, theres so much detail that you could have the X-Man naked and we'd still be able to tell who's who. ( and Warren would love that since Paige would be right in front of him, nekkid...dirty dirty Warren.)
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

How interesting is the Draco? Damn, I read that before Batman 617! I may not totally agree with where they're going (I may not actually have a clue where they're going), Kurt being a member of some band of Kurts that haven't been noticed until now? Hmmmmmmm....

But I'm real happy they're delving into his past a little. Well deserved, and eagerly anticipated. I hope it comes off all right.

Phillip Tan MUST be the artist for this entire run. If I see Sean Phillip's name on one more Uncanny cover before the end of this arc, I won't be happy.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Thought some of you might like to see this.... it's mine. You may have to copy and paste the URL.....

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewimage.asp?id_=4025812

My baby. [ bats ]
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

That's too sweet jj. The best I could hope to offer in return is a shot of X-Men 137. Or maybe 142.

I also have the "Face it, tiger, you just hit the jackpot." issueof ASM, but it's in SHITTY condition.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Okay. Elsie Dee. The little 2 foot tall blonde robot girlie. And Albert. The Terminator Wolvie with his face gone. I vaguely remember now.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Okay, maybe....Elsie Dee for sure. Albert, I even think they made one of those Pre-Legends ToyBiz figs of the Wolvie Android? Maybe the crack's catching up with me. Im pretty sure I didn't read too much of that though. Im missing most of Wolvie 25-75 somehow, and nearly all of the Marvel Comics Presents run. Not good.

As far as story goes, EP, 137 and 142 are about as good as it gets. Byrne from about 129 on is the best run in all of comics anywhere ever, regardless. First App. Kitty Pryde to Days of Future Past, with Dark Phoenix and Wolverine taking down the Hellfire Club and Wendigo in there as well. Just the ultimate. 140 (Wolvie vs. Wendigo) was my jumping on point, and first ever issue of Uncanny. Got it in trade with the neighbor. My first newstand issue was the one with Carol Danvers on the cover as Binary (158 or thereabouts), and I pretty much stuck with it until 247. I quit for quite a while right before Jim Lee got started - too bad, as I probably would have stuck around if I'd got that one more issue.