DCU : The Original Universe

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: DCU : The Original Universe

Post by Tom Foolery »

I correct autocorrect way more than autocorrect corrects me. :|

I fully expect Guy to be a good read. I just don't want to read an issue, skip an issue, read two, skip one, read three, skip two, etc. If I eventually get to where I'm only missing like a half dozen issues total, that's fine. But I'm missing like a third of the series spread around. So, it waits.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote: Grifter/Midnighter 6. The final issue of a 6 issue mini with two macho gun toting aholes making gay quips at each other. Eh.
Kinda follows as Midnighter is, y'know, openly gay & all (the Batman & Superman analogs were married in The Authority). Never read much WildCATS so I can't speak to Grifter.
"Something inside me....."
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Also from the 'A-B' box

Adam Strange. 8 issue series from 2004. Andy Diggle reintroduced the space hero. His adoptive planet of Rann "explodes" and his wife and child are dead, but Strange isn't buying it, so he investigates and discovers somebody heisted the entire world with a giant Zeta beam. Eventually the Thanagarians, the Omega Men, L.E.G.I.O.N., and the Darkstars get involved with a cosmic energy vampire who wants to destroy the universe. Led into the Rann/Thanagar War series which led into many other "cosmic" series over the next several years. Ferrin Colos and the last of the Darkstars died in the final issue.

Adventure Comics. A few issues of the 2009 reboot. Paul Levitz is a good writer, but I just never got into the Legion, let alone the Legion Academy.

Next up, I have roughly 50 random issues of Peter David's 75 issue Aquaman series from the 90s. I'm debating whether to dig in, or wait until I find a few more issues.
The same goes for the first Azrael ongoing.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Finally getting around to that Aquaman run.
Before the Peter David run from '94, DC was gung-ho about getting Aquaman on racks. There was an '86 mini, followed by an 88 Oneshot, an 89 Oneshot, an 89 mini, a 90 mini, and a 92 ongoing that lasted only 12 issues. I had most of these already and filled in the rest in the last year or so. Nothing much worth mentioning apart from an Editorial page from Dick Giordano talking about Frank Miller's upcoming Batman project.
And a Publisher's letter from Jeanette Kahn in the '88 Oneshot talking about Joel Silver getting ready to make a Watchmen movie. Ha ha. You only missed the date by 20 years Jeanette!

I love single issues. They're like Time Capsules.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

So I decided to do a re-read of DK2 after I don't know how many years (well, we can figure it out - it came out 15 years after DK, which was what 86? So it's likely been another 15 years since I read it).

I have more recollection of where I was when I read it than I did the story itself - I had brought comics to read when we headed back across the country to visit my folks when we were living out west. I woke up in the middle of the night & read that series while everyone else was asleep. Weird what you recall. I think I must have been out of it because I remember literally nothing other than Carrie wearing the catwoman suit.

It's odd. The first issue was ok. The second issue opens with about 10 pages worth of terrible 1 or 2 page spreads, almost as though Frank was trying to speed through filling out these huge 64 page issues. He got off to a good start, there are about 3 shapes per page on top of one colour plain backgrounds. Not awesome.

I'm only through 2 issues, but this is a JLA story - a Bruce vs Clark story like the last issue of the first series wound up being. The end of the second issue actually has a few redeeming moments when a new hero we've been introduced to bursts onto the scene at a critical juncture. The writing for that sequence is likely the best of the two issues so far. I'll finish book 3 over the next day or so & post my final thoughts.

Oh, and cover price for these was $13.99 Canadian - not much less than what I'm paying for the deluxe hardcovers of DKIII. Even then, DC knew how to squeeze your lemon for all its juice apparently.

EDITED: Finished the final book. 72 pages - not sure if the first 2 were that long or 64 - but there was quite a bit of material in 3 issues. What makes this a bad series though (yep, it's bad in totality) is how much of that potential is wasted. Many panels - entire pages - are filled with basic, childish art & dialogue composed of pure Miller wankery (sexed up, misogynist dialogue just there to be raunchy, way past the point of making any statements about anything). The good parts are good, but if this whole thing is 200 pages, the story could have been told tightly in less than 60 of them.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

One of Superman’s several sons(I’m so out of the loop on DC Continuity, but I think he’s got 4 or 5 at this point) but the one that got his own ongoing as the New (current?) Superman is coming out as bisexual.

For those keeping score, pretty much every other DC character has been retconned as LTGBQ.
Last edited by Tom Foolery on Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It would be more edgy at this point to have him come out as straight.
Ran

Post by Ran »

That makes Dean Cain bi, right?
Ran

Post by Ran »

An article about an upcoming issue of Justice League popped up in my feed, so I clicked on it. I'll avoid spoilers...but the picture in the article had some coffins with people standing next to them. The story was about the shocking deaths of those particular characters, but all I could think about was that the angle of the coffins did not jive with the angle that the people standing next to it. It just seemed to be drawn incorrectly.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ran wrote:An article about an upcoming issue of Justice League popped up in my feed, so I clicked on it. I'll avoid spoilers...but the picture in the article had some coffins with people standing next to them. The story was about the shocking deaths of those particular characters, but all I could think about was that the angle of the coffins did not jive with the angle that the people standing next to it. It just seemed to be drawn incorrectly.
That issue came out today. I got the main Acetate cover and also the Jurgens cover you mentioned. Is it supposed to be homaging another cover?

I peeked at the end of the book. Meh. I stopped getting the book at issue 62, because my guy stopped getting the variant covers and I didn’t care enough about the book to go to a second store to keep my run up. *sigh* Do I want to fill in a 12 issue gap?

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

DC’s next big push for next year is called Dawn of DC and they announced 20 new titles starting next year. Most of them are yawns, but Tom King is doing a Batman:Brave and the Bold series, as well as a Penguin book. Not sure if it’s an ongoing or mini.
Unstoppable Doom Patrol, Cyborg, Shazam, two new GL books, one for Hal, one for John, and a few Super-related books were also announced.