Read Bone

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Read Bone

Post by Diabolical »

QuickStopEntertainment is giving away one (1) hardcover copy and three (3) softcover copies of BONE: VOLUME 8 - TREASURE HUNTERS.
Contest ends at 11:59pm EST on Friday, August 29th.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Holy goddamn, I was just coming here to dig up this thread! I got volume 8 today when I dropped the wife at work! To say I'm a fair bit more excited about this than I was about Clone Wars would be correct. My only problem is not knowing how long the delay is going to be between now and when vol 9 is going to come out.
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Volume 8 completed. Chux, it ends with the half-page of Granma Ben saying "We're not ready.", as the Pawans & Rat Creatures are ready to attack Athaeia. This is a finely, finely crafted story with some unbelievable character designs. Part of me wants to play a really, really well done Bone video game more than watch a really great movie - but I'd still take the movie.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Book 9 came out today (January 20th) and my wife bought it for me as a late Christmas give - I love her. :heybaby:

I finished it just now, and I will never complain about getting a static shock again. Wonderful story, this is a guaranteed re-read.
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

I read Bone about 4 years ago, it's getting time to read it again since I just saw this thread. I have a little Bone statue too, such a great story.
The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an Amusement Park.
The Grin
darth vader

Post by The Grin »

Seven wrote: I have a little Bone statue too...
:thegrin:

Dirty!

:thegrin:
:thegrin: Award Winning Mother Lover :thegrin:
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

hehehe :whipit:
The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an Amusement Park.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I bought the Complete Bone Omnibus for my daughter for her 12th birthday. She absolutely SQUEALED with delight when she ripped the wrapping paper off. I'm slightly jealous because I don't even have it yet and asked if I could borrow it from her when she finished it.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I got it back from her and started reading it. I had the single issues up to around issue 25, but I hadn't read them since 1994 ( or whenever they originally came out) so I started at the beginning. I'm about halfway thru and its veering away from silly/humorous into epic adventure.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

So I finally got the One Volume Edition of Bone the other day.
I read issue #1 years ago when Image reprinted it.
Ain't started this big bastard yet.
I have a book and a half to read first.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

My son has likely been through these twice each (tpb volumes, not issues). He routinely grabs one once a week and reads it in a single sitting. [proudpapa]

Of note, there is a new prose story called Quest for the Spark. We have the first book, it's pretty good (written by Tom Sniegoski who's got the characters down pat, and it features a few full pages of art here & there by Jeff Smith). It will come out in 3 volumes, not sure when #2 will be ready.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Is that the new story line with Professor Bone and some other new characters? Both my daughter and I want to pick those up at the bookstore, but we just haven't yet.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yes, the professor and his niece & nephew, paired with a human boy & a retired Veni Yan or whatever the hell they're called.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Finished Bone today.
Overall, I enjoyed it, but I hoping for more.
A lot more.

I absolutely loved the first 350 (or so) pages - right up until Gran'ma Ben overhears Fone and and Thorn talking about Thorn's dreams. Up until that point the story is a fun, fish out of water adventure. Then it almost turns into a completely different book. While some of the fun elements remain (Phoney, Smiley and Lucius in the Tavern, for example), that fun slowly gets pushed out of the way by the overreaching fantasy drama.
Characters like Thorn and Gran'ma become unrecognizable from early in the book. Gran'ma goes from a fun, no-nonsense, cow racin' old lady to a sullen warrior woman. Thorn is a happy, semi-carefree girl and turns into an emo chick who keeps saying she doesn't know anything about whats going on, but somehow happens to know everything she needs to when she needs to know it. And Thorn's abilities appear out of nowhere, leading to many WTF moments.
Random characters appear and disappear for no reason at all. Rock Jaw seems to be nothing but an obstacle for the main cast and the two Rat Creatures, who appear quite often early, disappear for a really long stretch.
It feels like Jeff Smith didn't know what to do with the story at a certain point, so he just changed gears mid-story and turned Bone from an adventure to and fantasy epic.

Reading the above it sounds like I hated Bone. I didn't. Its just not what I expected after starting the book. It went from something I was really enjoying to something I liked. Even if I had hated the book, I'd still give it mad props for being so ambitious, especially for one man to have done it all.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Once the character's get a realization of where the story is headed, it gets a lot more brooding, no doubts there. It worked for me because I was very surprised it got to that level of seriousness based on the early parts - but the change in mood made the story that much more intense for me.