So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Postby jjreason » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Ok I actually went today & I'm eagerly anticipating finding out if I bought some issues.... I already bought last time! That's what tends to happen when you don't go for a few weeks....

Marauders 14 & 15 (new)
X-Men 14 (new)
Giant Size Fantomex 1 (unsure)
Giant Size Storm 1 (known duplicate - but it's the Dauterman cover & I couldn't say no when I had it in my hands)
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen "Century" trade paperback which they're calling volume III.... doesn't "Black Dossier" count???
"Something inside me....."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:02 am

jjreason wrote:Ok I actually went today & I'm eagerly anticipating finding out if I bought some issues.... I already bought last time! That's what tends to happen when you don't go for a few weeks....

I hate when that happens. And since everybody seems to love multiple covers these days, it makes things even more bullshit.
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen "Century" trade paperback which they're calling volume III.... doesn't "Black Dossier" count???

Maybe the first two minis were retconned into the first volume? I dunno.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:09 am

Tom Foolery wrote:Characters who should also be getting Alex Ross timeless variants, but thus far have not.

1. Hawkeye
2. Vision
3. Frank Castle

Those three definitely because they’re in the fucking mural Marvel commissioned from Ross that’s in their HQ.

Well, Hawkeye is getting one at least. Avengers 42 in the new February solicits.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Postby jjreason » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:30 am

So, regarding LXG, Moore is having these published through TOP SHELF these days and only counts volumes 1 & 2 in with the main continuity. Black Dossier was published originally during his struggle with DC if I read it right so it's not even recognized (and honestly, it's pretty bad compared to the first 2 books). Century, Tempest & the collection of one-shots all count & are under the newer banner. I also read that both TOP SHELF & VERTIGO publish the same books & that if you feel strongly enough about it, you can choose which publisher you want to support with your purchase.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:32 am

Honestly, the only thing I remember about ANY of LXG is Mr Hyde buttfucking the Invisible Man to death.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:35 pm

Catching up on more reading from the ‘C’ box!

Champions 1-10. The second volume from Jim Zub and artist Steven Cummings. The first four issues had Ms Marvel leading an expanded roster of teen superheroes with multiple teams doing good deeds all over the world simultaneously. But when a battle in India goes badly and Kamala and Viv are killed, Miles and Amadeus make a deal with Mephisto to reverse the deaths. The deal weighs heavily on Miles and Kamala steps down as team leader.
5-6 were War of the Realms tie-ins, with adult Cyclops coming back to aid his Champion teammates because he retained the memories of teen-Cyclops before he time shunted back to the past.
7-8 sees Sam Alexander retrieve his Nova helmet with the help of an old nemesis because she doesn’t want to kill him while he’s depowered and “unworthy” to face her in battle.
9-10 the series wrapped up with Blackheart “infecting” most of the newer Champion recruits and the originals had to face off against their new teammates. They defeat Blackheart and it negates the “deal” his father had made with Miles, which makes Mephisto furious.

Champions 1-2. The current series just started. It’s part of the “outlawed” branding where all teen superheroes are now illegal and on the run from C.R.A.D.L.E., the law enforcement agency created to stop them.

Conan:Serpent War 1-4. I don’t usually buy Conan, but this had Moon Knight in it, so the completist in me bought it. An ancient rivalry between Set, the serpent god, and an other-dimensional rival of his called The Wyrm brings different Robert E Howard creations together to fight them. Conan, Solomon Kane, Dark Agnes(and also Moon Knight)are pulled from their own times to stop Set cultists, until Konshu shows up and tells them they’ve been bamboozled and the Wyrm is the true villain. Mildly interesting just for the REH crossover aspect of it, but mostly forgettable.

Contagion 1-5. A weekly event mini that came out last fall before anybody knew there was a pandemic looming. An ancient virus escapes Kun-Lun and starts infecting all the heroes trying to fight it. The Thing, Iron Fist and a handful of other heroes are the last ones standing until Moon Knight figures out a way to defeat the virus from the inside because he’s craaaazzzzzyyyyy...and speaking of...

Crazy oneshot. For its ongoing 80th anniversary celebration last year, Marvel was releasing all kinds of oneshots and specials. Some of them were callbacks to old comic series and magazines This was one of those. Just a bunch of humorous 3-4 page stories, parodies, and advertisements. Sort of on par with Not Brand Ecch, What The—??!, and other comics making fun of Marvel.

Crescent and Io oneshot. The origin of the tiny taewkondo master and her giant spirit bear featured in the new Agents of Atlas series. Technically, the title of the book is “Future Fights Firsts Presents:Crescent and Io” because these characters were created for a Marvel fighting app game and migrated over to the comics. But it’s a fun character, so I’ll allow it.

Crisis on Infinite Earths 100 Page Giant 1-2. Each of these featured a couple new stories set in the CW-verse(I think?) and a couple reprint issues from the original 1985 CoIE series, like the issues where Flash and Supergirl died. To be honest, I only skimmed them because I don’t really care about Felicity Smoak’s side adventures and I’d already read the reprints when they originally came out. I’ll probably get back around to reading them eventually.

Next up Daredevil!

jjreason

Postby jjreason » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 am

Tom Foolery wrote:Honestly, the only thing I remember about ANY of LXG is Mr Hyde buttfucking the Invisible Man to death.

It stands alone in terms of memorable comic book deaths, that's for sure.

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Postby Diabolical » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 am

Sounds like something written by Ennis.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.

Return to “comic books”