So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Postby Tom Foolery » Sun May 31, 2020 5:21 pm

Dipped into the new reading boxes a couple weeks ago. Was deciding how to proceed (alphabetically again, or chronologically, or some other random decider) and chose to begin with the already irrelevant X-books that came out after Blue and Gold ended, but before Hickman’s total relaunch

X-23. After Laura’s All New Wolverine series ended, she reverted back to the X-23 moniker, with her clone/sister‘sidekick Gabby still tagging along. The first arc by Mariko Tamaki and Juann Cabal in 1-5 had the Stepford Cuckoos being manipulated by their dead sibling Esme in order to come back to life in a body that can withstand the degenerative properties of being redirected so she/they kidnap Gabby. In order to save her, Laura mind merges with the other dead sister Sophie to stop Esme and rescue Gabby. It had been so long since Morrison’s run I had to look up how Sophie and Esme had died. If I’ve never mentioned this before(I have repeatedly) I fucking love Gabby. She’s such a fun character. The story and art here were both great. A solid start for the new series.
6 was a one off where Gabby goes undercover at a school so they can find out who’s doing Illegal Gene Manipulation experiments. They think it’s a teacher, but it’s one of the other students. Another fun issue.
7-12 wrapped up the series where Alchemax is making even more clones of Laura and turning them into disposable assassins with limited lifespans. Laura sees them as weapons that need to be destroyed, but Gabby ever the optimist, sees them as people and siblings that need to be saved. This causes a rift between her and Laura over how to stop the assassins and shut Alchemax down. Over all, a solid 12 issue series.

X-Men Black was a 5 issue “series” of oneshots that each focused on a different X-villain.

Magneto written by Claremont had Magneto struggling with his hero/villain dichotomy as he breaks a bunch of incarcerated mutants out of a holding facility in New Mexico. Typical verbose Claremont navel gazing dialogue, but it was okay.

Mojo was actually a lot of fun. Mojo is trapped on Earth after the events of the crossover in Blue/Gold a couple years ago. Now he’s got a crush on a human woman who goes to the same coffee shop he does and he doesn’t know how to ask her out. Glob Herman of all people befriends him and gets him to tone down his supervillain Schtick and just talk to her.

Mystique had Raven using the full extent of her shale shifting abilities to manipulate tensions between humans and mutants by creating an incident and blaming a young mutant girl. And apparently she did it for funsies because she was board.

Juggernaut had Cain fighting with a bunch of Cytorrak disciples to reclaim the Cytorrak Gem and then confronting Cytorrak himself and tell the demon he’s not his fucking monkey anymore. Filler material.

Emma Frost’s issue was the most relevant because it sets up the following Uncanny X-Men series. Emma goes to the X-Men and tells them the Hellfire Club and Sebastian Shaw have been secretly behind all these anti-mutant catastrophes over the past couple years and she convinces the X-Men to take out Shaw and dismantle the Club in one fell swoop. But really she was manipulating them into creating a power vacuum which she then takes over as the new Black King. Solid issue.

X-Force 1-10. So, in Extermination, a younger version of Cable came in and killed Cable. The original X-Force team(Warpath, Domino, Shatterstar, Cannonball, and Boom Boom) initially get together to find this ‘impostor’ and make him pay for killing Cable. They find him and (one of the) Deathlok in a Slavic country trying to figure out who’s been supplying their army with futuristic military weapons and ALMOST IMMEDIATELY forgive him and team up with him to fight the ‘real’ bad guys Ahab and Stryfe and some jumbled time travel bullshit. I detested the art by Dylan Burnett and I call bullshit on the entire killing Cable and this new guy is just accepted as the new Cable 2.0. Ugh.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:03 am

And the rest of the interim X-saga...

So this is an interesting series. I don’t know exactly when Marvel solicited Hickman to return and relaunch their entire X-Men brand, but it had to be fairly early if not even before this series launched. So they either knew from the stat it was a “bridge” series or they found out very early that it was going to be an irrelevant chapter in the ongoing Mutant saga. And I can’t tell if they knew what Hickman had planned and were setting that up, but I’d say likely not. Anyway, this run of Uncanny ran for 22 issues, plus an annual, and the first ten issues were WEEKLY, and the final 12 were bi-weekly, so the entire series came out very fast. And that’s not counting the ‘Age of X-Man’ event that kicked off halfway thru and the half dozen tie-in series for that event.

Uncanny X-Men 1-10. Brisson, Rosenberg, and Thompson all shared writing duties on the first ten weekly issues. They set up a fairly decent mystery as Mutant racial tensions start rising again, Kitty Pryde gets kidnapped during a training mission with some of the junior X-Men students (Armor, Rockslide, Anole, etc) and a bunch of other weird phenomenon start happening like dinosaurs in Montana and an army of Multiple Men attacking Kansas. Armor and the juniors are bracing against Jean Grey and Storm continually putting them on crowd control and clean up duties, so there’s tension there.
Then 4 new Horsemen show up; Magneto, Omega Red, Blob, and Angel as agents of Nate Grey, aka X-Man from Age of Apocalypse. His psionic and psychic powers have grown exponentially and he wants to create an Utopia on Earth no matter how many must die. Legion shows up at the X-Mansion and explains to the juniors that he wants to stop Nate because he feels responsible for him existing because of the Age of Apocalypse. The juniors want to help him, and the veteran X-Men don’t trust him so there’s a schism on the team. Eventually all the X-Men go to confront Nate on his Canadian Island fortress and he ends up “killing” all the X-Men or so it seems to the rest of the world.

This leads to the Age of X-Man Alpha oneshot where all the world is mutants so there’s no strife. But also no family or physical attachment is allowed and love, physical intimacy is forbidden. The world is policed by the Marvelous X-Men who are superhero celebrities. But there is a undercurrent of unease that no one can quite put their finger on and the six Age of X-Men miniseries all dealt with the cracks in this “perfect” society coming undone.

The Amazing Nightcrawler 1-5. Kurt is the most famous actor in the world but somethings not right.
Apocalypse and the X-Tracts 1-5. En Sabah Nuhr is a sort of beatnik cult leader who encourages love and family in a world where neither are permitted and puts him at odds with the status quo maintaining X-Men.
Marvelous X-Men 1-5. The premier superhero role models of the world are finding chinks in their memories that they can’t explain.
NextGen 1-5. The students at the Xavier institute are realizing not is all as it seems in their perfect world.
PrisonerX 1-5. Bishop was once a member of the X-Men, but he was caught having an intimate affair with Jean Grey and he was ‘erased’ from the team and sent to a Rehabilitation Center. But he’s having memories of things that never happened...
X-Tremists 1-5. The black Ops mutant team that does all the dirty work to make the X-Men look good and keep their hands clean. But they, too, are finding things wrong with the world they can’t explain.
As you can see, there was a general theme that all comes to a head in Age of X-Man Omega oneshot where they figure out Nate created this world they’ve all been trapped in and go to confront him about it and all the X-Men come back ‘to life’ at the end.

Meanwhile....

Uncanny X-Men 11-22. Rosenberg took over as solo writer back in the other Uncanny X-Men book, everyone thinks the X-Men are dead and the O.N.E. takes this opportunity to wipe out the rest of the mutants. Cyclops(who is back from the dead as was explained in the books Annual) and Wolverine(who is also recently back from the dead) team up and recruit what is the Last X-Men Team Ever to stop the O.N.E. and along the way a bunch of X-Men die, like Havok, Wolfsbane, Madrox, Chamber, eh I lost count because it was a lot of unnecessary deaths for cheap shock value that became irrelevant because Hickman undid all the deaths like three months later anyway. In the end Emma Frost uses cerebral to “erase” mutants from humanity’s mind so they can all just go live their lives and never have to worry about being feared and hunted ever again, but Cyclops decides they shouldn’t have to hide and then all the ‘dead’ Age of X-Man X-Men show up, Cyclops reunites with Jean Grey for the first time in forever and the cerebro shield drops and all the X-Men are standing there together all bad ass on the last page. Apart from the cliche “sales boosting” deaths, the story was okay. Not great, but it was a page turner with the X-Men with their backs against the wall and the “stakes have never been higher” if you didn’t know Hickman was just around the corner.

And that’s the X-Books up until House of X/Powers of X.

I think next I’m gonna read the Infinity Wars event and maybe some other books in that H-I-J box. Gonna be bouncing around the boxes for awhile.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Postby jjreason » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Found valkyrie 9 today. My LCS still had 3 or 4 copies so it wasn't too bad. Hope your luck is the same.
"Something inside me....."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:35 am

All the shops across the river in Illinois are restricted/shut down. I don’t think my guy has any copies.

jjreason

Postby jjreason » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 am

I can grab another one here & just hang onto it so you know it's dealt with. Let me know if we get to that point.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:52 pm

I tracked one down.

jjreason

Postby jjreason » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:29 am

Purchased the Catwoman 100 page special because it has a chunk by Tom King & because I have no idea where DC comics will be - whether they'll be - in the Canadian market moving forward. Cover price in us funds was $8.99. My price at the till? $14.69. That's what I used to pay for 2 Stephen King paperbacks back in the day.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:57 pm

As I’m now bouncing around in my read boxes, I finished up the Infinity Wars event and all(most) of its tie-in titles. I shouldn’t have cut this series off in between the Prelude mini series Countdown to Infinity and the main one, which is why it was at the top of my reading list. When last we left the Cosmic saga, the Infinity Gems had all reared their heads again and assorted players were looking to fight over them. The Guardians book had just concluded and the stones were in the hands of Peter Quill, Captain Marvel, Black Widow(via Wolverine), Dr Strange, Adam Warlock, and Daredevil’s c-list supporting player Turk Barret. And a mysterious new player called Requiem had beheaded Thanos before he could begin his new effort to combine the Gems.

Infinity Wars 1-6. Requiem turns out to be Gamora, who wants to reassemble the Gauntlet so that she can retrieve a shard of her soul that’s been missing inside the Soul Gem since the first time she died. The assorted Guardians and Avengers gather to stop her, but she gets the upper hand and becomes omnipotent. She then “folds” the universe in two and each person in the universe is combined with someone else and she puts these “Warps” into a new universe created in the SoulGem for some ancient soul monster to feed on while she frees her soul shard and becomes complete. (Many of the “Warps” got their own 2-issue minis, see below). Loki, meanwhile, figures out how to stop Gamora, but he needs to create a new Infinity Watch of Emma Frost, Kang, Ms. Marvel, Ant-Man, Hulk, and Himself to do it. The combined forces of the Warps and the Watch eventually stop Gamora and restore the universe, but a sacrifice by Drax and Arthur Douglas allows the newly created Warp universe characters to also remain alive in their new universe. Adam Warlock then uses the Soul Stone to give the other stones their own “souls” and releases them into space to find their own destinies and not be controlled by anyone.

Two follow up one shots; Fallen Guardian tells a story about Arthur Douglas if had never died and been reborn as Drax, instead just living his normal life as a saxophone player and family man.
Infinity Wars:8(<—-that’s an infinity sign, get it?) is about the newly “Souled” Gems finding new hosts and leading into a Wolverine and the Infinity Watch mini. And a coda at the very end where Adam Warlock feels like there’s a part of him missing. I literally made the sad trombone “wah wahhh” sound when I read the last page because it mirrored the very first page of issue one, where Gamora says the exact same thing.

Up next, the tie-ins.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:28 am

The Infinity Wars tie-in series. Called “Infinity Warps” because they are mash-ups of two existing characters.

Arach-Knight 1-2. A young Peter Parker sees his Aunt and Uncle killed by the Goblin By Night(Green Goblin+ Werewolf by Night). Later he is visited by a Spider Totem that gives him extraordinary abilities but fractures his mind into four distinct personalities, the scientist, the CEO, the Hero, and the Vigilante. After many years of being a successful hero, he tracks down the monster that killed his family and it turns out to be the father of his best friend, Harry.

Ghost Panther 1-2. Prince T’Challa is exiled from Wakanda and joins a carnival in America, taking the stage name Johnny Blaze. During a near death crash, he meets Zarathos who offers him supernatural abilities. When his father is attacked he returns to Wakanda to help his sister, Shuriri(Shuri+Riri) defend their homeland from time traveling brigands led by Erik Killraven.

Iron Hammer 1-2. Billionaire Technologist Sigurd Stark has no memories from before five years ago, until he finds an ancient hammer in Iceland which unlocks powerful Asgardian Armor. He uses it to battle his enemies Krimson Kurse, Malekith, and Madame Hel. Al Ewing was deliberately writing this one in the pontificating 60’s style of dialogue associated with the early Age of Marvel stuff.

Soldier Supreme 1-2. Doctor Erskine uses dark magic to create a supernatural Super Soldier for America. After a battle with Dormammu Red(Dormammu+Red Skull) Steve is trapped in the Dark Dimension for many decades, until he released by M.O.R.D.O.C. and Satan worshippers during a ritual.

Weapon Hex 1-2. On Mount Wundagore, the High Evoutionary and his wife Sarah Kinney are attempting to create a vessel for their eldritch god Mephictlon. The 23rd attempt is “successful” but as Laura is raised she begins to rebel and show her heroic tendencies which leads to a confrontation with her “father”.

Infinity Warps 1-2. An anthology of short stories of different mash-ups. The Terrific Two(the FF, but Reed and Ben also have Sue and Johnny’s powers), Green Widow(Black Widow+She-Hulk), Moon Squirrel and Tippysaur(Moon Girl+Squirrel Girl, Devil Dino+Tippy), Diamond Patch(Emma Frost+Logan), Kamala Kang(Kang+Ms Marvel), and Punisher Pack(Power Pack+Punisher).

Sleepwalker 1-4. When Rick Sheridan gets “combined” with someone else, Sleepwalker realizes something is amiss and takes a tour of the Infinity Stones to reconnect with Rick. This was a very interesting and underrated series because first of all, it tethered the Sleepwalkers to the Mind Stone and also introduces the idea that if the Soul Stone has a “world” inside it, the other Stones must also. So the Power Stone has The Arena, the Space Stone has The Vast, the Time Stone has the Ellipses, and the Reality Stone has the WorldPool, which in a clever jab, is just endless stacks of long boxes full of comics overseen by Archivus, chronicler of the multiverse. Eventually Sleepwalker finds Rick has been combined with Nick Fury and separates them. A fun, clever addition to the Infinity Stones mythology that will probably get overlooked/forgotten.

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Postby Diabolical » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 pm

Wow, those make the Amalgam characters seem amazing.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.

Return to “comic books”