We are having a blizzard

a place to discuss my "ongoing" series of rants and raves on my rants/raves page... so far, it's not too ongoing, but i will probably be adding more soon...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Sleazer
megatron

We are having a blizzard

Post by Sleazer »

A real blizzard warning, not the usual whining about 4 or 5 inches of snow. It started today but it wasn't anything too awful, I made it home fine from work with a few extra minutes of caution on the icy roads. Well now it's starting to come down harder and the blizzard warning is up through midnight tomorrow, so we are expecting 14" over the next 26 hours.

I'm pissed because I never did invest in a snowblower (I swore after February that we would get one later this year - guess what, it's already later this year) so I'll have to get up extra early tomorrow to shovel for a few hours, then hopefully not go in the ditch on the way to or from work...my company does have a policy of "don't come in if you can't make it safely" but my boss is pretty much a megalomaniac micromanager so if I'm not there tomorrow, the work will just be piled up that much more on Thursday and I'll be more pissed about trying to play catch up.

Yeah, snow is pretty but I hate this shit. It's one thing to be sick of it in February or March...but to already be whining about it in December is not a good sign about my attitude this year. It's gonna be a long winter.

Anyway, thanks for the rant.
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: We are having a blizzard

Post by Diabolical »

We're getting our first real snow of the year from that same storm.
As usual our weather dinks can't tell us how much we're going to get - anywhere from 3-8 inches.

If I can find a way to my mom's storage locker I can get her snowblower, but I think it needs some work (a tune up or something).
Sleazer wrote:Yeah, snow is pretty but I hate this shit. It's one thing to be sick of it in February or March...but to already be whining about it in December is not a good sign about my attitude this year. It's gonna be a long winter.
I feel the exact same way. And after the last 2 winters where we got slammed almost weekly, I'm not looking forward to this winter.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

The snow hasn't been too bad here, but it's -3 degrees outside right now. That's fucking cold.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I understand that, where you are, JJL, there's ample parking everywhere and people shouting, "Howdy neighbor!"

Seriously, we should give you a quest to go to South Park and see how much like the show it is. I can produce pics of some of the San Dimas landmarks used in the Bill & Ted's movies, as well as the dinosaurs from Pee Wee's Big Adventure, if you think that's an unfair burden.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

I haven't been to South Park (it looks to be a drive of maybe a few hours; well, the area does, since in real life it's not just a city), but quite a few of the other Colorado aspects are dead-on. Casa Bonita is a real place and, though I've never been inside, it sounds like it's exactly how it was portrayed on the show (the exterior is perfect, at least). Pi Pi's Waterpark had several things lifted directly from our own Water World, including the wave pool, the fun house (the thing with the clown, which looked exactly as it does in real life), the Egypt ride, and the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride (which was named on signs). Except in real life, there's a higher percentage of white people and (hopefully) a much lower percentage of pee. The Pepsi Center, as seen on the recent episode about wrestling, is right next to my campus (it looks more or less the same). And I was always told that Chef was based on a cook at CU Boulder, but I'm fairly sure he retired by the time I went there last year.

For the record, I've never seen the Bill & Ted movies. The Pee-wee dinosaurs are something I have to see in my lifetime, though.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

we're actually getting rain and this morning there were thunderstorms. thigs are supposed to take a real ugly turn mid-day tomorrow, when the temps should drop suddenly and freeze 2 days worth of rain just in time for rush hour. I totally HATE snow
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

JJL, you definitely need to add the Bill & Ted movies to your list. The first one is far better than the second (it's obvious in the second that they got a higher budget, which takes away some of the charm), but they're both essential. Two of the funniest and most quotable movies you will ever see.

"If you dudes are really us, what number are we thinking of right now?"
"Sixty-nine, dudes!"

"Hello. My name's Billy the Kid, and this here's Socrates. We're from history."
"I am Sigmund Freud, but you can call me 'Ziggy.'"

"You ditched one of the world's greatest military leaders somewhere in San Dimas?"
"He was a dick!"

"He's dead?"
"So, Bill, what you're telling me is that Napoleon was a short, dead dude?"

"Ms. Preston, we'd like you to meet some of our friends."
"This is Dave Beethoven, and Maxine of Arc, Missy, Herman the Kid."
"Bob Genghis Khan, Socrates Johnson, Dennis Freud, and, uh, Abraham Lincoln."
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

How could you forget:
"Who was Joan of Arc?"
"Uh...Noah's wife?"
anarky

Post by anarky »

I wanted to save some of the good lines to be surprises for JJL. :D

You can't really tell it too much from the shots in the movies, but San Dimas is built on an "old west" theme. Waterloo isn't actually called Waterloo, but Raging Waters. It apparently has never been called Waterloo, and this was made up for the movie. The mall where the interior mall shots were filmed isn't actually in San Dimas, and one of my wife's former co-workers apparently worked in that mall when they shot the movie, but I don't remember which one it is.

JJL, you may be disheartened to know that the Pee Wee dinosaurs now house an insanely bad (by all accounts, though I've never wasted money to check) creationist museum, which has an infamously stupid diorama of medieval knights fighting dinosaurs with rocks, since they're supposed to be prehistoric people, only they apparently invented European-styled armor long before it actually existed or before they invented any real weapons, probably because the owners couldn't find cavemen figures and settled for knights.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

When I read your last paragraph, I actually said, "Aw, what?!" out loud. That sucks. It should be a place to discuss your dreams about snakes wearing vests, not a place for a bullshit museum.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:which has an infamously stupid diorama of medieval knights fighting dinosaurs with rocks
There is nothing not awesome about that.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Diabolical wrote:
anarky wrote:which has an infamously stupid diorama of medieval knights fighting dinosaurs with rocks
There is nothing not awesome about that.
there isn't anything untrue in that statement.
Life is short. STUNT IT!