Unnecessary trademarks

a place to discuss my "ongoing" series of rants and raves on my rants/raves page... so far, it's not too ongoing, but i will probably be adding more soon...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Unnecessary trademarks

Post by anarky »

I hadn't really noticed until this year that all sorts of sales on TVs, barbecue-type food, etc, don't refer to "Super Bowl." It appears the NFL holds a trademark on the term, and viciously defends it.

Now, I can understand trademarking the name so all sorts of sporting events aren't called "Super Bowl." But you're going to fucking sue Albertson's if they mention the word in their sale on fucking hamburger buns? YouTube has to have a feature where you vote on the best commercial from "Sunday's big game"?

Dude, what the fuck? Isn't that about as overboard as the entire fucking crew of the Titanic?

Guess what, NFL?

SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL SUPER BOWL!!!!!

Go fuck yourselves. If there's a way to suck the fun out of a sport, pricks like you will find it.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Unnecessary trademarks

Post by vynsane »

what the fuck is a 'super bowl'?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

A super bowl is usually disguised as a mild mannered bowl, but it really is more powerful than a speeding locomotive, is faster than a speeding bullet, and so on. Eventually it breaks and comes back in a couple different forms. Some time after that Rollo uses them to express his dual personalities. Or something like that.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

do not taunt Happy Super Bowl.
Zaphod
knightrider
Location: CHESTER A. ARTHUR'S WIFE'S VAGINA... WITH THE VINEGAR, BABY!

Post by Zaphod »

a super bowl is what diabolical puts on his head when he gets a haircut.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I would almost like to make an advertisement for some small mom'n'pop store just so the NFL could look like a Douche Army when they sue them.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Ran

Post by Ran »

I heard of a crazy trademark in a Gene Simmons interview of all places. He said he trademarked the bag with a $ sign on it. So any time you use it, you owe him cash.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

If that's the case then I'm trademarking the jug with 3 "x's" on it.
Sweet berry wine!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I just saw a Head & Shoulders ad that had NFL players in the locker room. No fucking shit, there was small print that said "NFL Players is a trademark of the National Football League."

What. The. Fuck?

First of all, the ad never said "NFL Players." So you're saying that you cannot use people pretending to play football in a professional capacity at all? Does the NFL own its players like slaves on a plantation? IIRC, they didn't even have actual team jerseys!

On another subject, Albert Einstein's image (and probably name) is trademarked. Any time it appears somewhere, Bill fucking Gates, of all people, gets a check. The dude has been dead for over fifty years, and we're talking about someone who wasn't a celebrity, but a scientist without whom the modern world would be a very different place.

Since Gates obviously has no fucking soul, he should've bought the rights to Hitler's image instead. He'd make quadrillions daily from the Military Channel (AKA "We Only Show All the Hitler Stuff The History Channel Used to Show") alone.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I've seen a few Head and Shoulders commercials with NFL and MLB players, but I never paid attention to the trademark stuff. I don't completely understand trademark stuff, but from what I've gathered:

If you have actors wearing actual NFL uniforms, the NFL trademarks it.
If you have actual NFL Players wearing NFL uniforms, the NFL and NFL Players Association trademark it.
Or, you can have current NFL or ex-NFL players in generic uniforms, where I believe you don't need an NFLPA.

Before McFarlane got the license to make NHL figures, he made 2 series of hockey figures licensed by the Players Association. The players were in their team uniforms, but instead of the official NHL logo, they put the NHLPA logo there instead.