Drug Warnings

a place to discuss my "ongoing" series of rants and raves on my rants/raves page... so far, it's not too ongoing, but i will probably be adding more soon...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Drug Warnings

Post by Diabolical »

A few minutes ago I turned the news on and saw the words "Drug Warning" and the medication I'm taking (Remicade) listed on the screen and hear the reporter saying: "Talk to your doctor if you are taking any of these medications."
Surely the "warning" means "may cause awesome superpowers."
Right?

One "Oh, fuck me" and a Google search later I found this:
FDA orders stronger warnings for 4 arthritis drugs

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Food and Drug Administration ordered stronger warnings Thursday on four medications widely used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses, saying they can raise the risk of possibly fatal fungal infections.

The drugs — Enbrel, Remicade, Humira and Cimzia — work by suppressing the immune system to keep it from attacking the body. For patients with rheumatoid arthritis, the treatment provides relief from swollen and painful joints, but it's "a double-edged sword," said the FDA's Dr. Jeffrey Siegel. That's because the drugs also lower the body's defenses to various kinds of infections.

Siegel, who heads the office that oversees arthritis drugs, said the FDA became concerned after discovering that doctors seemed to be overlooking a particular kind of fungal infection called histoplasmosis. Of 240 cases reported to the FDA in which patients taking one of the four drugs developed this infection, a total of 45 died — about 20 percent.
Only 20%? That gives me 4 out of 5 chance of not dying if I get this fungal infection. The odds are in my favor, but I still don't like them odds, dammit.
The infection, which mimics the flu, is prevalent in much of the middle part of the country. It can have particularly grave consequences if it isn't caught early and spreads beyond the respiratory system to other organs of the body.
So, my immune system is down already, which makes it easier to get get sick, which I'm sure many people will assume they have the flu. Then, surprise, you're dead!
The four drugs belong to a class known as TNF-alpha blockers, and are considered a mainstay for treating rheumatoid arthritis, a disabling disease in which the immune system attacks the joints. They are also used to treat Crohn's disease, juvenile arthritis, certain types of psoriasis, and other immune system disorders. All are taken by injection.
This is the best/worst part. It is easily the best medication I've ever had for my RA. The bad part is sitting in the doctor's office for 3 hours once every 8 weeks with a bunch of old people while I get the meds though an IV. On the other hand - it works so well its totally worth it.
Separately, the FDA is investigating a possible link between the four medications and cancer in young patients. The agency said earlier this year it has received 30 reports of cancers, mainly lymphomas, in patients who began taking the medications when they were 18 or younger. That investigation is expected to take the rest of the year.
While I'm a ways away from 18, I can't help but wonder if I'm still considered a "young patient."
Three of the drugs, Enbrel, Humira and Remicade, are considered blockbusters, with sales of over $1 billion annually for each. Cimzia is newer and less widely used.
Well, when you charge $4,000 dollars per treatment its not surprise.

In summary, of course it could kill me - it works far too well!
Sonuvabitch.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Jargo
christopher walken

Re: Drug Warnings

Post by Jargo »

ignoring most of your post because i don't know what the hell you're talking about as drugs all have different names here. but when I started taking anti-anxiety/anti-depression meds seven years ago i had a laugh as the warnings on the included pamphlet said *may cause death*.

I laughed a long time at that. :?
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Jargo wrote:ignoring most of your post because i don't know what the hell you're talking about as drugs all have different names here. but when I started taking anti-anxiety/anti-depression meds seven years ago i had a laugh as the warnings on the included pamphlet said *may cause death*.

I laughed a long time at that. :?
I could make a joke about that curing your depression, but I don't want to be responsible for anything. :oops:
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

John my boy, make jokes if you like, I'm only offended if they're made in an antagonistic way by dickwads with superiority complexes. gay jokes, shortist jokes, anti uk jokes, i don't mind at all. as long as they're funny. my depression isn't as such a depression it's more of a lack of emotional extremes. flatlining. finding it hard to feel any emotion at all. i'm more affected by anxiety and bizzare panic attacks.

so there ya go.

my meds also say *may cause suicidal feelings, weight loss/gain, loss of appetite, constipation or Diahrreah, dizziness, headaches, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting* and many many more..

I take my tabs religiously and stare death in the face and blow raspberries at him.

I wrote more here than i intended to. pithy. need to be more pithy.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Jargo wrote:John my boy, make jokes if you like, I'm only offended if they're made in an antagonistic way by dickwads with superiority complexes. gay jokes, shortist jokes, anti uk jokes, i don't mind at all. as long as they're funny. my depression isn't as such a depression it's more of a lack of emotional extremes. flatlining. finding it hard to feel any emotion at all. i'm more affected by anxiety and bizzare panic attacks.

so there ya go.
Ah, good to know, you lilliputian blood-pudding-eating dicksniffer.

:D
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I went to a doctor a few years ago to get some meds for my back pain. She hands me this stuff and I read the side effects, and low and behold it says MAY CAUSE BACK PAIN!!!!! WTF??? Why would I take this shit if I have back pain and it can cause it? Also, I told her I had Asthma as a child, and it said do not take if you have/or have had Asthma
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I love the ads for the pills for social anxiety that say in the ad, "May cause sexual side effects." If you have social anxiety that's so crippling that you need to take drugs to get over it, isn't one of the things you're after a roll in the hay? Which this could prevent you from experiencing?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

Uh, I think what they're saying is that you can get a boner that won't go down. which might seem great as a hypothetical, but in reality is just a major no-no. Unless you happen to be slicker and then there'd be no change.

it's either that or it alters your hormones and you start growing breasts. man boobs. moobs. droopy bitch tits. Arnold Schwarzeneger style pendulous saddle bags.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i also think they specify that it will cause 'certain sexual side-effects'... i take that to mean that it will mess with your head and make you turned on by daffodils and hula hoops.
Life is short. STUNT IT!