Retailers can suck my ass

a place to discuss my "ongoing" series of rants and raves on my rants/raves page... so far, it's not too ongoing, but i will probably be adding more soon...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Retailers can suck my ass

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

And it's not possible whatsoever that other people had the same idea and showed up earlier?
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

If I'm there thirty minutes before they close one day, and thirty minutes after they open the next, and there are about twenty copies of an older movie, and the sale isn't exactly a doorbuster, and it's not around Christmas, possible, but not very likely. Especially several times.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Sometimes I run into your favorite stores five minutes before you get there and buy everything I think you'll like. :P
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
UKWildcat
christopher walken

Post by UKWildcat »

Hey RII, I bet Amazon had that TV cheaper than Best Buy or Circuit city. I purchased my 32" Samsung LCD from Amazon almost two years ago and they destroyed all other competitor's prices. Haven't had one single problem with it either.

My brother just recently, like 3 months ago, bought a 52" Samsung LCD from them, and again, beat all competitor's prices and he hasn't had one problem with his.

Samsung makes a kickass TV, so you made the right decision there. :yeaha: But I can understand you wanting to see it in person first, and if something goes wrong it is easier to take it to your local store than having to deal with returns/exchanges over the web, a lot quicker.

Still, I prefer to buy a majority of my electronics from Amazon, they usually beat all competitors prices, they offer free shipping on almost everything, you do not have to pay sales tax, I get triple the points on my credit card, oh yeah, and I don't have to drive around and waste gas. Their customer service is far superior to any brick and mortar store, or online retailer for that matter. If the item drops in price you can request a refund for the difference, or sometimes they will refund the difference without you even asking. Depending on the CSR, you can get refunds from well past their price protection guarantee policy. Example: I purchased the Jason Bourne HD-DVD Trilogy in November, for $44.95 (really good price at the time, when HD DVD was alive and well). In March they dropped the price $19.96, when putting their HD-DVDs on sale/clearance, I requested a refund and they honored it, nearly 4 months later. You can't beat that. And I have many other examples too. :)

Oh yeah, as far as my brothers TV goes. A few weeks after he purchased it, Amazon ran a promotion where you would get a free Samsung upconverting HDMI DVD player with the purchase of select Samsung TVs, his was part of the promotion. So he emailed them and a few days later a new DVD player was delivered to the house free of charge.

As far as removing product before it goes on sale, or it not being in the store during the sale: If there is something I want that is going on sale, I will often go to the store the day before (or days before) the sale starts and buy it for its non-sale price, and then go back later in the week, and get the difference back. This works flawlessly, except for making the extra trip, but you would probably make that extra trip anyways, and this way you are guaranteed to get the product.

There are places, like DVDTalk and other web sites, that post the weekly fliers days and weeks in advance, so you always have the drop on what is going on sale, and what the price will be. :yeaha: And we get the Target flier here on Saturday (and Sunday) but all of the sales start on Sunday, so that one is always a day in advance too.

But like I said earlier, I buy a lot of my stuff online so I don't do this often.
"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

UKWildcat: Gainfully employed by amazon.com since 2003.
:grillmarks:
UKWildcat
christopher walken

Post by UKWildcat »

:lol:

Nah, they are just a quality E-tailer.
"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

I did a quick look at amazon and the price didn't seem too much different, and that was before shipping. Someone I work with told me I should have checked another store that is here in town. It is a huge store and they mostly have furniture. At the time, I had forgot they had electronics as well.

Now that I got the thing home, I have to upgrade my DirecTV reciever to HD. We'll probably drop HBO to offset the cost.
UKWildcat wrote: As far as removing product before it goes on sale, or it not being in the store during the sale: If there is something I want that is going on sale, I will often go to the store the day before (or days before) the sale starts and buy it for its non-sale price, and then go back later in the week, and get the difference back. This works flawlessly, except for making the extra trip, but you would probably make that extra trip anyways, and this way you are guaranteed to get the product.
My wife is always checking the ads and will do that. Especially Target, since we live about a mile from one and she shops there all the time.

What used to be nice when I lived in Maryland is that the Sunday ads for the Washington Post came on Satruday. The local paper here prices their subscriptions so that it is more expensive to buy just the Sunday paper. We don't want it daily.