I fucking HATE cell phones!!

a place to discuss my "ongoing" series of rants and raves on my rants/raves page... so far, it's not too ongoing, but i will probably be adding more soon...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: I fucking HATE cell phones!!

Post by anarky »

Posting this from my newfangled cellular doohickey. Typing still major anal pain. Go fuck yourself, and here's three bucks for that zero, Zero.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I has the same problem typing shit when I first got mine. It does get easier.

The thing that will have you wanting to punch things is autocorrect. If that's even a thing on Razr. I dunno.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

you do get used to it with time. what phone did you end up with, btw? if it's a motorola phone, you can use the SWYPE keyboard instead of the default android one - it lets you draw zigzags across the keyboard to type instead of literally being all thumbs. it's actually surprisingly accurate. the autocorrect also gets used to your patterns pretty quickly.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Motorola RAZR M. It doesn't have autocorrect, but it does have suggestions, which are, surprisingly, well-placed, intuitive, and often correct. Haven't tried Swype.

I've downloaded a few store apps because I've noted before that they could save me money, and I'm always willing to free up more money for toys and comics (especially now that the cell bill will go up). And Angry Birds Star Wars. Any other "musts"?

BTW, I've got it set up to only work on WiFi unless I manually choose to go with the data plan, at least until I get a handle on how much I'm using. Overage charges look to be fucking insane.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

BTW, this site was hell until I discovered you can stretch the screen.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:Motorola RAZR M. It doesn't have autocorrect, but it does have suggestions, which are, surprisingly, well-placed, intuitive, and often correct. Haven't tried Swype.
it doesn't have autocorrect? the suggestions don't automatically over-write what you typed from time to time? interesting... but yeah, the suggestions can be useful, though i've found that it ALWAYS chooses wrong when confronted with "were" or "we're".
I've downloaded a few store apps because I've noted before that they could save me money, and I'm always willing to free up more money for toys and comics (especially now that the cell bill will go up). And Angry Birds Star Wars. Any other "musts"?
it all depends on what you want to do with your phone. before i had a smartphone i thought it was an easy question to answer, but now i realize it's like asking "hey, what clothes should i buy?" - it all depends on your lifestyle and how you want to use it.

that said, some of my most used/useful and rather universal apps are:
  • firefox
  • doubletwist (this is a must-have if you use iTunes on your mac or PC, it syncs your songs, playlists, even ratings and play counts from iTunes to your phone)
  • facebook
  • yahoo mail
  • simplest reminder (lets you set simple notifications to yourself)
  • yahoo weather (i like it because it shows you weather-appropriate pictures of your location from flickr, as well as additional user-specified locations).
some that are useful to me, but no necessarily to everyone are:
  • dropbox (it automatically syncs any pictures taken on the phone - this can be set for wifi only or over any connection)
  • accupedo (it sounds like a google map hack to find pedophiles, but it's actually a pedometer app. we have a step-counting challenge at work this summer. unfortunately, it only counts kilometers, not miles. but the steps are really what counts, anyway.)
  • dock clock (just shows a large low-toned clock, i have it automatically pop up when i plug it in after 10:30pm using Smart Actions - see below)
Smart Actions is pretty awesome - if you have it on your phone (you should, as it's a motorola app). it allows you to set up various rules for various times of day, locations (based on GPS), and other conditions. so i have a SA set up to turn on dock clock when the phone is plugged in after 10:30pm. i have one that automatically turns on DoubleTwist if i plug in my headphones. another one turns off the ringer volume if i don't have headphones plugged in and it's during my commute. yet another pair turns off wifi during my commute then turns it on again afterward, so it's only on during timeframes where i would be connected to wifi.
BTW, I've got it set up to only work on WiFi unless I manually choose to go with the data plan, at least until I get a handle on how much I'm using. Overage charges look to be fucking insane.
huh, you can do that? honestly, the data plan is more than enough. i don't think we've ever gone over in a year.
anarky wrote:BTW, this site was hell until I discovered you can stretch the screen.
yeah, it's not very 'mobile friendly'. i'll have to see if there's a new update to phpbb that takes that into account.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Well, the sound broke. One moment, the external speaker was working, the next, nothing. Everything else was great. I'd had it less than a week and tried to take it to Costco.

I made four fucking trips.

First, I went to one in Richmond, VA. The guy wouldn't even consider it since I didn't have the receipt on me (because, of course, everyone takes their receipts on vacation, right?).

Then, went back to the one I got it at. I'd forgotten the plug-in part of the charger. Guy wouldn't take it back. He said I needed everything from the original box--not the stupid accessory kit Costco gives out free (which becomes important later). I explained that I lived a half-hour away. No budging. I asked if they could just take out the charger from the one I get; I'm not trying to scam them, but, really, making me drive a fucking hour because I mistakenly left one minor piece out? He started to talk to me like I was a brain-dead kindergartener. I just walked off in mid-sentence.

Go home, get the other piece of the charger, and go to a different Costco (one that's closer and I like, but Mrs. Anarky hates, so we'd gotten the phones at the second closest one originally). Everything was going great... but they needed the accessory kit. I told the guy that the other Costco I'd been to specifically said they didn't. At least he explained why politely--different Costcos handle the kit differently; some give it out at the kiosk (like the one where we'd bought it), others pack it with the phone before its sold (like this Costco).

Go home AGAIN and get the stupid-ass accessory kit (two worthless phone covers, a car charger--the only worthwhile piece, and a carrying case for the accessories). I can almost see why they needed everything--you have to go to the kiosk, get a return slip, go to the customer service counter, return the phone, take the return receipt back to the kiosk, buy another phone, pick it up, and take it to the kiosk. Still, for a company that prides itself on having the best service, seriously, they didn't have the leeway to take out one fucking charger? :roll:

Anyway, enough bitching and moaning. I was looking for a QR scanner, and there are tons of them, mostly with the same range of reviews. Anyone have a recommendation? I guess I could try them all, but, really, that's a lot of pointless work. :D
anarky

Post by anarky »

Okay I need to downgrade service. My wife has become one of those fucktards who has to take pictures of every single freaking thing she eats and post it online. Nothing bothers the shit out of me more than that.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

^ HAHAH. i don't understand that practice at all. does she have anything rational to say when you've inevitably asked her "why are you doing that?"
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

She just kind of ignores me. Granted, I take pictures of food I make without a recipe and post them online, but that's less to show off and more so that I can access a record of what went into something from just about anywhere, at any time.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Okay, she got over the food thing quickly, thank God.

However, this afternoon, I got a warning text from Verizon that I'd hit the 75% usage mark. Since we're about a week into the month, this rather concerned me. We got the 1GB plan, since our usage is pretty limited when not on wifi. I checked my phone, and saw nothing that concerned me.

Mrs. A got the same text. She checked her usage, and saw it was way the fuck out by Saturn's moons. Most of it the Yahoo! Mail app. Which I also have (the stock e-mail app doesn't play nice with Yahoo! for some reason), but had only a megabyte or two.

And she remembered--yesterday, the teacher who does the yearbook at her school asked her to send some pictures she'd taken of a school function on her phone. So she did. Via email. Without wifi.

Almost 800MB worth. :eek: :frus:

So, yeah, that means I ain't doing shit on my phone for three weeks if I'm not at home, Target, McDonalds, or Starbucks. (And McDonalds' wifi is about as shitty as the food.)
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Goddamn. I'm glad I got grandfathered into the old plan with unlimited usage.
The only drawback is when I upgrade my phone I'll have to pay full price for a phone. But that's probably cheaper in the long run.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:And she remembered--yesterday, the teacher who does the yearbook at her school asked her to send some pictures she'd taken of a school function on her phone. So she did. Via email. Without wifi.

Almost 800MB worth. :eek: :frus:
i don't see how that's possible. the pics i take on my phone are roughly 1-2mb each, meaning (if hers are the same) she sent 500-700 pictures via email? i doubt it, unless they were RAW pictures from a full-blown dSLR or something, which would be closer to 20mb each... i would double-check the usage that verizon is reporting.

EDIT: also, you should use dropbox mobile for the absolutely easiest way to transfer your pics to your other dropbox-connected computers. you can set it up to automatically transfer any new pictures when you're on a WIFI connection. then she could have thrown them in another folder and shared that folder with the person who needed the pics. attachments are so 2012.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Several dozen pictures at the highest possible resolution. That'd do it.

And, really, she hasn't taken the time to learn how to answer a call when she's on another call. You think she's going to learn Dropbox?
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

dropbox is easier than switching calls. especially if you use the desktop program that syncs your folders - it's essentially just using the windows/folder paradigm everyone already knows!
Life is short. STUNT IT!